The value of photography

I think this is happening more and more in every sector.

There was a time when a skill was valued, however if someone feels that they can do it for less than what others are charging, then they will no longer see the value in spending. I have seen this in other areas too. I have used my SLR for a few years, a few friends have asked if I will take their wedding photos for them as 'you produce good images with your camera'. I always decline as I personally feel that I do not have the skills to pull it off. Unfortunately, there are many who with just the basic kit don't see anything wrong with 'turn up' and shoot.

The other thing that you have to remember is that with the latest and greatest phones on the market they can mimic lots of the styles and photos that an SLR can produce. Obviously you will have a sharper image with an SLR, however, resized, slightly sharpened, they are probably not a million miles away.

It also comes down to economies of scale. If a company can get away with using someone 'in house' who is good with a camera, they can potentially save a lot of money. Its the same with the video market. I recently returned form a ski trip and whilst I love using Final Cut, I was able to very quickly edit a few shots on my iPhone using Adobe spark.

Lastly, it comes down with what they are going to do with the images and how long they are likely to hold on to them for. If I am promoting a product on social media, do I really want the highest quality there is? Probably not, as each platform reduces quality / adds filters etc therefore a quick snap will almost certainly do. Its a sign of the times i'm afraid.

Back