The Vintage + Classic Adapted Glass Thread

Got my eye on a couple of 28's but wont arrive till into the new year - bloody xmas! - so have held off for now. Going to hold off on the 24mm and keep an eye out around the local charity shops and flea markets.
There are plenty of minolta's available from Germany and Japan, limited UK options. Will keep a look out for Canon and vivitar/sigma/miranda as well
i’ve been buying legacy lenses for about 4 years and my experience has been;
car boots - probably bought about 3/4 lenses and a couple of camera bodies.
Local ads - my best hunting ground - full Canon kit and Minolta body with 3 lenses. also another Minolta plus lens, Pentax and 3 lenses and an OM10 with lenses. Downside here is that you simply have to get lucky and be looking at the right time! in 2 cases, though, I had to travel 50/60 miles to do the deals. I have alerts set up to warn me if anything comes up.
Online auction - probably 5/6 lenses.
Charity shops - I was lucky in that the town where I used to live had a charity shop where one of the volunteers,had set up a camera section. When I was last there (a couple of years ago) it was very well stocked. other than that, though, I’ve only ever bought one lens in a charity shop.
I do know there are a number of camera shops in the UK who sell legacy lenses and I’ve actually just sold some of my surplus kit to one of them. i’ve trawled through all the well known, and many not so well known names, and if you would like any details, then feel free to send me a PM.
the one thing I would say above anything else is to be as careful as you can in checking for fungus, haze and the like. it was only a few weeks ago that I inspected a lens, bought it, but didn’t see the haze until I had a closer look at home!
Hope some of this helps.

Today, I went out with the Minolta MC 50mm/1.7. I love using it, but I have not yet discovered the most useful and accurate MF assist/peaking settings. :(

The A7ii seems to think the whole scene is in focus (red all over the screen), whereas chimping and back here on PC, I can see that it's not. I tried the magnify setting, but it seemed to come and go, frustratingly. I think I need to go back to the manual and double-check that I've got things set up right. Ideally, I'd put the magnify on a button to toggle on/off.

If I can nail the usability on this, I will look for a wide Minolta MC/MD next.

I have magnify on C1 - it feels natural right next to the shutter button.

You can adjust change the peaking high, medium, low too which can make it a little more accurate.

i’ve been buying legacy lenses for about 4 years and my experience has been;
car boots - probably bought about 3/4 lenses and a couple of camera bodies.
Local ads - my best hunting ground - full Canon kit and Minolta body with 3 lenses. also another Minolta plus lens, Pentax and 3 lenses and an OM10 with lenses. Downside here is that you simply have to get lucky and be looking at the right time! in 2 cases, though, I had to travel 50/60 miles to do the deals. I have alerts set up to warn me if anything comes up.
Online auction - probably 5/6 lenses.
Charity shops - I was lucky in that the town where I used to live had a charity shop where one of the volunteers,had set up a camera section. When I was last there (a couple of years ago) it was very well stocked. other than that, though, I’ve only ever bought one lens in a charity shop.
I do know there are a number of camera shops in the UK who sell legacy lenses and I’ve actually just sold some of my surplus kit to one of them. i’ve trawled through all the well known, and many not so well known names, and if you would like any details, then feel free to send me a PM.
the one thing I would say above anything else is to be as careful as you can in checking for fungus, haze and the like. it was only a few weeks ago that I inspected a lens, bought it, but didn’t see the haze until I had a closer look at home!
Hope some of this helps.
Thank you, i do prefer buying face to face so will check local ads out an yes very mindfull that online purchases could be risky from a haze/fungus perspective. Im in no real rush so will take my time, If i get stuck will drop you a PM for your sources
thanks

Today, I went out with the Minolta MC 50mm/1.7. I love using it, but I have not yet discovered the most useful and accurate MF assist/peaking settings. :(

The A7ii seems to think the whole scene is in focus (red all over the screen), whereas chimping and back here on PC, I can see that it's not. I tried the magnify setting, but it seemed to come and go, frustratingly. I think I need to go back to the manual and double-check that I've got things set up right. Ideally, I'd put the magnify on a button to toggle on/off.

If I can nail the usability on this, I will look for a wide Minolta MC/MD next.

I find peaking good at wide apertures as very little peaks but at smaller apertures where everything peaks I think it's really only good enough for smaller pictures viewed normally and using the magnified view is much much better.

I don't know why the magnified view should come and go unless you're half pressing the shutter button. It should stay magnified until you do that.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get there.

Me and Mrs WW. I think with a 24mm f2.8.

DSC02882-1.jpg

And without us.

DSC02925.jpg

Longer lens, Minolta Rokkor 135mm f2.8. I think this was maybe the first picture I took with this lens, I think I took it out of the box, put it on the camera and took this.

DSC03105.jpg

Last edited:
I find peaking good at wide apertures as very little peaks but at smaller apertures where everything peaks I think it's really only good enough for smaller pictures viewed normally and using the magnified view is much much better.

I don't know why the magnified view should come and go unless you're half pressing the shutter button. It should stay magnified until you do that.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get there.
On my XT3 the peaking shows up and auto zooms when you move the focus ring.

On my XT3 the peaking shows up and auto zooms when you move the focus ring.

Same with the A7, but only for AF lenses with 2-way comms.

But my example is a stone-age manual Minolta lens, so the camera doesn't know the focus ring is being moved.

Bit of a necro-bump here, but does anyone on here have experience with the old Nikon 80-200 F4? I would mostly only need the 200mm end of it

I had the 80-200mm f2.8 D lens and if the f4 is optically the same it's great at all focal lengths.

When I shot Nikon I had the older 80-200 2.8 also, the push-pull version, which does look very similar to this older but much cheaper F4. F4 at 200mm is plenty for what I need [garden birds] and I see one going pretty cheap locally. I shoot Fuji now but have adapted Nikon lenses in the past without much fuss. I guess I just need to know if it's any way decent at 200mm, if anyone has some samples that would be great too

When I shot Nikon I had the older 80-200 2.8 also, the push-pull version, which does look very similar to this older but much cheaper F4. F4 at 200mm is plenty for what I need [garden birds] and I see one going pretty cheap locally. I shoot Fuji now but have adapted Nikon lenses in the past without much fuss. I guess I just need to know if it's any way decent at 200mm, if anyone has some samples that would be great too
If it's reasonably cheap (as legacy zooms usually are) then why not just get it & try for yourself?
Sample to sample variations can be significant in old glass, so if someone else has a good or bad experience with a similar lens it doesn't mean it will apply to this one.

Having said that there should be some details here: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/c_645177.html

If it's reasonably cheap (as legacy zooms usually are) then why not just get it & try for yourself?
Sample to sample variations can be significant in old glass, so if someone else has a good or bad experience with a similar lens it doesn't mean it will apply to this one.

Having said that there should be some details here: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/c_645177.html

I might do, but I can't stand being left with gear if it's junk. I've bought a number of 200mm 3.5 - 4 lenses over the years and not all of them were decent. I just need one that is decent wide open. It's not the cheapest of the cheap either, I could buy a couple of vintage lenses for the same money. But maybe I'll see if I can haggle it down a little

Back