The Vintage + Classic Adapted Glass Thread

I have that 135mm f2.8, IMO it's a good lens.

85 wise I have a FD f1.8 and Zuiko and Rokkor f2's. I have to look closely at the widest apertures to nit pick any real differences but when doing so I'd rank them Rokkor, FD then Zuiko but that's taking the same shots and nit picking differences. In real world shooting there's next to no difference except that the Zuiko needs more sharpening. I don't think any of these stand comparison to a modern 85mm though, not at their widest apertures where they're much more characterful.
Thanks for that
I'll enjoy using these lenses and having a bit of fun.
Ultimately I'd like the modern versions, but they're out of reach at the moment. :)
I found a thread on Flickr with images from the rokkor 50mm f/1.2
They were amazing....then I saw the price of the old lens :-(
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3hanFOomLex_0dlXPpEBAO

Last edited:
I will be posting a sale for a Porst 50mm f1.2 with e-mount adapter if you are interested ;)

Thanks for that
I'll enjoy using these lenses and having a bit of fun.
Ultimately I'd like the modern versions, but they're out of reach at the moment. :)
I found a thread on Flickr with images from the rokkor 50mm f/1.2
They were amazing....then I saw the price of the old lens :-(
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3hanFOomLex_0dlXPpEBAO
I have a Rokkor 50mm f1.2 md, I can't remember what I paid but I'm sure It wasn't that much. It is though a very nice lens imo, poor by todays standards at f1.2 but stopped down I think it's lovely. I think people maybe sometimes overlook stopped down look.

AF isn't everything anyway, part of the fun of vintage lenses is the hunt for those cheap gems and manually focusing those old lenses can be a joy. No fly by wire muck, can't beat true mechanical machinery
+1. How very true this is.
I have only one Af lens for my A7iii and that’s only in case I take photos of fast moving grandchildren!

At the moment I have the FD 50mm F1.8 and the FD 135mm F2.8. I'm expecting delivery of an FD 100mm F2.8 SSC perhaps tomorrow. My next decision will be for a wide angle lens for landscapes, I'm torn between the 24mm and the 28mm FD lenses.
I have the Canon FD 24mm and love it (using on A7iii). However, one thing I would say is that my copy came without a hood and in my opinion, it does need one. I originally tried one of those collapsable thingeys but even with the rubber hood pushed right back, it was still vignetting. I did look at 3rd party petal hoods but before buying, I found an original Canon petal hood which I had to import from Japan. I can say with some certainty that the original hoods don’t come up very often. I can let you have the Canon code for the hood if you’re interested.

I have the Canon FD 24mm and love it (using on A7iii). However, one thing I would say is that my copy came without a hood and in my opinion, it does need one. I originally tried one of those collapsable thingeys but even with the rubber hood pushed right back, it was still vignetting. I did look at 3rd party petal hoods but before buying, I found an original Canon petal hood which I had to import from Japan. I can say with some certainty that the original hoods don’t come up very often. I can let you have the Canon code for the hood if you’re interested.
Thanks for that information. In the end I went for the 28mm FD lens but the Canon code would be useful(y)

Even with fast moving kids MF lenses can work. They're predictable enough for you to pre or zone focus, with wider angle lenses at least.

I've recently reduced my inventory and now only have 16 legacy lenses!! In there, though, I do have a Flektogon, a 28mm Zeiss Distagon and the (quite) rare Canon FD 80-200L.
I have recently set myself the challenge of reducing this number so that I only have 1 lens covering each focal length (that I use). Why does anyone really need four 28mm lenses?
However, what I have noticed over the last 2/3 years is just how good some of the "third" party lenses are. They are sometimes/often overlooked in favour of the "big name" alternatives, often at a fraction of the price though.
Although not winning any prizes for artistic creativity, the attached were recently taken using a Clubman 28mm on a Sony A7.
I've also owned a Tokina 28mm, probably sharper than anything else I've owned and always regretted selling it.

Attachments

• A7300420.jpg
    A7300420.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 8
  • A7300423.jpg
    A7300423.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A7300427.jpg
    A7300427.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 8
Minolta Rokkor 135mm f/2.8 lens just turned up.
Off tomorrow so hopefully get a chance to try it out on my A7ii.
It's in mint condition. :)

I only shoot with manual lenses (for me a much nicer user experience than auto) so will camp here... when I finally get round to more work with the Sony A7 I will start posting shots with various lenses...

A7 and Minolta 50mm f1.2.

Hanging on in there...

gGepHVj.jpg

I'd describe this lens as funky wide open but stopped down I think it gives an absolutely lovely look. I've taken some of my favorite pictures with this lens.

Last edited:
Horsies on Saltburn beach. A7 and a Minolta 50mm, I think it was the f1.2 again.

qyQ6PIv.jpg

Damn. The posting process has put banding in the sky... it's not visible in the original picture.

Use Flickr or another similar site to link images, honestly, this site is baaaaad for direct uploading, People keep doing it, but the images look soft and lacking overall res, and people do this to show off images??

Going to go back to the start of the thread but in the mean time could anyone recommend a classic 23 and 35mm lens for current fuji cameras, F2 or faster. ideally same mount so only require 1 mount

Hi James.

23mm is surely a bit of an oddball and legacy 24mm's often come as f2.8's unless you find something faster and more expensive. There are faster 35mm lenses that are still quite reasonably priced. I have a Minolta Rokkor 35mm f1.8 MD. If looking at Minolta they also did a 24mm f2.8 that was/is considered by some to be one of the best 24mm designs of all time.

As legacy lenses seem to be rising in price and condition can be a lottery it might be an idea to look at newer manual lenses too such as the 7 Artisans stuff. Be careful looking at these as the mounts vary.

PS.
I've just remembered another fast legacy lens. Vivitar did a 28mm f1.9. I had one and stupidly sold it. Mine was Minolta mount.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan, open to suggestions to FL- current Fuji 23mm is £400 for F2 and twice that for F1.4. Not sure im going to use primes that much but would like something faster than my zooms and would be zone focusing so MF would be fine and lighter and smaller. Not sure how wide I realistically need as shallow depth w
I was considering 23 as a 35mm equivalent - I dont usually concern my self with equivalence - and hadnt till now considered that these would be 35mm film and not made to equate to a crop sensor.

So 24mm F2.8 would probably fine and also that Vivitar. as a compromise between 2.

You could also take a look at 28mm lenses as they're generally cheaper than 24's. There are also cheap wider lenses such as 17 and 19mm's. These can be f3.5 or so and once you get to this sort of aperture a kit lens could make more sense unless you want the manual lens experience.

There's a Zonlai 22mm f/1.8 that I think is available in Fuji mount. There's also various 25mm lenses in Fuji mount plus the Samyang 21mm.

There's lots of 35mm lenses, I have the 7artisans 35mm f/1.2 and the Meike 35mm f/1.7 plus a CCTV lens and a couple of legacy 35mm lenses.

I use imgur.

While I'm here, Sony A7 and Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4 MD.

fALmzDv.jpg

I used to use Imgur but found on here images were not as sharp as when linked via Flickr. I do know that direct linking is the worst option though. I know from trying it myself, been shocked at the loss of clarity and sharpness

Thanks Alan, open to suggestions to FL- current Fuji 23mm is £400 for F2 and twice that for F1.4. Not sure im going to use primes that much but would like something faster than my zooms and would be zone focusing so MF would be fine and lighter and smaller. Not sure how wide I realistically need as shallow depth w
I was considering 23 as a 35mm equivalent - I dont usually concern my self with equivalence - and hadnt till now considered that these would be 35mm film and not made to equate to a crop sensor.

So 24mm F2.8 would probably fine and also that Vivitar. as a compromise between 2.

Viltrox have a more budget friendly 23 1.4 on the way, expected to be about 300 when it goes on sale. Might be of interest to you, a 1.4 for about the price of the F2

Thanks Keith, i had heard that but not the price and would prefer some real world reviews/use before buying. I stumbled onto this thread and was thinking of a budget prime. the 10-24 i have is a little weighty for hand holding if set up on a scene waiting for a shot.

Just looking into Minolta 28mm 2.8. for around £60, the 24mm are selling for £130-150 plus delivery so starting to not be such budget option

Thanks Keith, i had heard that but not the price and would prefer some real world reviews/use before buying. I stumbled onto this thread and was thinking of a budget prime. the 10-24 i have is a little weighty for hand holding if set up on a scene waiting for a shot.

Just looking into Minolta 28mm 2.8. for around £60, the 24mm are selling for £130-150 plus delivery so starting to not be such budget option

I'm not into the adapted lenses like I used to be but I've found the FDn28 & the ML28 to both be good performers for the cost (on an A7) - they were both f/2.8

I have three film era 28mm f2.8's (Minolta Rokkor, Canon FD and Olympus Zuiko) and I don't think there's anything really between them. If looking at a 28mm I think I'd buy on condition and price and not worry too much about the make. Could always look at a 3rd party lens like a Sigma, Miranda or Vivitar too as they could bring the cost down.

I have three film era 28mm f2.8's (Minolta Rokkor, Canon FD and Olympus Zuiko) and I don't think there's anything really between them. If looking at a 28mm I think I'd buy on condition and price and not worry too much about the make. Could always look at a 3rd party lens like a Sigma, Miranda or Vivitar too as they could bring the cost down.
This is exactly my experience. I currently have several 28s - including a Minolta, Canon and Olympus. A couple of months ago, I took two of them out on the same day to the same location and did a series of comparisons. When viewing on my PC, I could see no significant difference in any of the images (sharpness, contrast) apart from the tiniest loss of detail in the extreme corners.
Later on, I put the Zuiko up against my Clubman lens (never was able to identify the manufacturer with any degree of certainty) and again, I could see nothing between them and even preferred some of the Clubman images!! I’ve now sold the Clubman, only because I have too many 28s.
By the way, I’m shooting with an A73 and find 28mm lenses to be an ideal FL for what I want.
When I was previously shooting m43, I found I was always struggling - and never really succeeded - in getting legacy glass as wide as I wanted. as previously mentioned, there is a significant jump in cost between 28 and 24mm.
I did go down the focal reducer route for a while which didn’t completely solve, but definitely helped, the situation.

Got my eye on a couple of 28's but wont arrive till into the new year - bloody xmas! - so have held off for now. Going to hold off on the 24mm and keep an eye out around the local charity shops and flea markets.
There are plenty of minolta's available from Germany and Japan, limited UK options. Will keep a look out for Canon and vivitar/sigma/miranda as well

Be aware that if buying from abroad you could get stung with import charges. EC is ok for now and although who knows what will happen in the future you should have time to buy from there if you spot a good deal on a nice lens.

Today, I went out with the Minolta MC 50mm/1.7. I love using it, but I have not yet discovered the most useful and accurate MF assist/peaking settings. :(

The A7ii seems to think the whole scene is in focus (red all over the screen), whereas chimping and back here on PC, I can see that it's not. I tried the magnify setting, but it seemed to come and go, frustratingly. I think I need to go back to the manual and double-check that I've got things set up right. Ideally, I'd put the magnify on a button to toggle on/off.

If I can nail the usability on this, I will look for a wide Minolta MC/MD next.

Today, I went out with the Minolta MC 50mm/1.7. I love using it, but I have not yet discovered the most useful and accurate MF assist/peaking settings. :(

The A7ii seems to think the whole scene is in focus (red all over the screen), whereas chimping and back here on PC, I can see that it's not. I tried the magnify setting, but it seemed to come and go, frustratingly. I think I need to go back to the manual and double-check that I've got things set up right. Ideally, I'd put the magnify on a button to toggle on/off.

If I can nail the usability on this, I will look for a wide Minolta MC/MD next.
although I find the peaking useful, I could not use my legacy lenses without use of the magnify function.
i’ve assigned it to a custom button which makes the whole process a breeze and very fast (once you’re used to it).

Back