The "What is it?" thread - Part III

You may well kick yourself when you see what it is, David. Looking at your posting history, you've probably seen this. As for the size of the aperture, the unit was deliberately slightly confusing since the exact measurement would have given the game away!

Inside the back of a film camera

At last!! It is the top rails of the film guides inside the back of a film (135) body.

Looks like shutter blades visible on the lower left.

Because it is.

And the 1 1/2" clue I'm guessing refers to 35mm

36mm actually, the aperture (hence frame size) is as near as damn it 36mm x 24mm which is very close to 1 1/2" x 1". I reckon that if I'd given the mm sizings, even the chap who gave up earlier might have got it!

So thats why it was so out of focus, seing the shutter blades would have made it too easy.

So thats why it was so out of focus, seing the shutter blades would have made it too easy.

As I pointed out in the first post of this guess, the DoF was deliberately shallow and the camera was deliberately at an angle from the open camera so it wasn't immediately obvious what it was. As you say, had there been lots of DoF and the shutter blades were clearly visible, this would be a "Who's quickest to post" rather than "What is it" thread! Pretty sure Rog (Droj) spotted it fairly quickly but let it run its course.

On the machine with the full shot on now so here it is...

DSCF4336.JPG

As you can see, it's had a hard life and is now dead. :( On the plus side, it's going to be gutted and converted into a lamp.

Just got in from work (12 hour shifts 7-7) to see this. Gonna have some tea then will try and get something posted later tonight.

Didn't have anything prepared so have just rushed to try and get something to keep the thread running. Happy guessing.

Last edited:

Heating element on a stove or something?

some king of cooling plate for pots?
It really looks like metal!!!

…may be the foot of a cooling plate for pots?
or the underside of any foot in the kitchen for that matter!

View is from the top, not underneath. Will upload another, slightly wider view tomorrow evening.

Drain? Possibly in/on a coffee machine?

Should have got that quicker - we've got 3 Tassimo machines!

Shouldn't be too hard.

DSCF4340.JPG

Not bendy and thingy's a bit too vague so can't accept bent thingy as an answer either!

While some of you might not have used one exactly like this, they are available in many, many shops and something very similar will have been used on things you've used/consumed/abused.

Nope, much smaller (unless it's a really small pipe.)

slot holder for a pen or similar?

Nope, smaller than a pen (well, the visible loop is. The whole item is fatter than a normal pen and about the same length as some.)

A latch or hook off something like a drawer

Not a handle, strap, hook or latch. Not meaning to be sexist but possibly something more familiar to Mrs T and W etc.. Having said that, I use this nearly as much as Mrs Nod does. NOT photography related (and can't really think of any way to use it in photography other than as a subject!)

Back