The "What is it?" thread

Yay ... congrats Ian ... :clap:

And here is the offending article ...

RLG3867.jpg

Over to you ... :D

Not so hopeless huh ...
:LOL:

:p

Yeah...looks like a breadknife - Kitchen Devil perhaps?

Try these on for size (sorry, I know it's not my turn, but we can have more than one at a time can't we?).
And be specific.

Img 1
Img_00011.jpg

Img 2
Img_00012.jpg

The first I would guess is the ejection point for spent cartridges on an assualt rifle or similar :)

No idea what the 2nd is or could be though :(

The first I would guess is the ejection point for spent cartridges on an assualt rifle or similar :)

Mmm.. but which one? Be specific, I said... I want make and calibre. I also want Kylie in my bed tonight, but I'm not holding my breath...

First one is an open port cover of a Colt M4-A1 ;)

The second is something stictched onto some cloth.:D

The second one, I know where it is and where it goes, I just have no idea what it does..lol

I know its on some sort of electronic combat training jacket.

I have many strings to my bow sir. There are hidden depths to me all over, for I have travelled many miles and heard many tales.....

Or something like that :p

Hmm it also looks like an M-16 but I know I'm wrong strange how they all look so similar. Ahh but a blast to shoot. God that is the only thing I miss about the military Range day

OK the ejection port is on a DeMarco 5.56mm (similar to the Colt AR-15/M4) so I'll let Marcel have that.
The other one is the GPS-processor housing on the new DefWes vest, also correctly identified by Marcel - and yes it is the Army version of LazerQuest, but a bit more complicated. Even near-misses are registered, and hits are determined by the processor and the type of weapon that fired it is also considered and the corresponding injury is estimated. The wearer then gets a read-out telling him what injury he's sustained. The unit also uplinks all this info as well as the position of the wearer to a Command Centre (ours is at Westdown Camp on salisbury plain) and plots it all on a real-time map of the Training Area. This info can be back-linked to the commander on the ground so that he's aware of what all his blokes/assets are up to.
We're working on variations of this technology to ensure Blue-on-Blue incidents don't happen in future conflicts.

On a totally different subject, you know how cornflower when mixed with water has some odd properties? Stiff and unyielding when moved quickly, but relatively fluid if moved slowly?
They're also working on a Gel which mimics these properties, which should stop bullets. A thin, light layer would be worn which only solidifies when struck by a fast-moving object. Flexible body armour.

Ooooh that sounds like clever stuff. I've always been puzzled by how cornflour acts like that...It's mixed, yet gooey and umixed and stiff...how the hell does it do it?

Back