The world's gone mad(der)

I remember reading about this a while ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38907451
quote from the article
Our fridges are stuffed with food that could also be kept in the cupboard. In the past, people kept butter, eggs and sauces in the pantry without getting ill. So why do many of us insist on keeping it all chilled?

As I see it, pantry's were always cooler than the rest of the house, being to at least 2 outside walls (usually).
Also, In todays society, houses are also generally warmer than they were "back in the day"
Stuff that's opened goes in the fridge, un opened stuff in the cupboard, that includes eggs.

My Gran never had a fridge. She had a larder with a marble shelf.

When asked, "is this bacon ok gran?" she replied, "is it bronzy green or greeny bronze?" and "use your nose."

the one's that read the bit on the bottle telling you to...
Made it to almost 50 so far without ever keeping any sauces, pickles, eggs, veg or fruit in the fridge. :)

Edit...also happy to ignore many use by dates.

Last edited:
I find milk also goes way beyond the use by date ( when kept in the fridge) if its chewy time to get rid :D

quote from the article

As I see it, pantry's were always cooler than the rest of the house, being to at least 2 outside walls (usually).
Also, In todays society, houses are also generally warmer than they were "back in the day"
Stuff that's opened goes in the fridge, un opened stuff in the cupboard, that includes eggs.

un......opened.......eggs

:cautious:

I find myself putting stuff in the fridge that doesn't actually need to be in there because the pantry is stuffed to the nuts.

Its a bit like that dishwasher thing, ok it washes dishes but it has an equally important storage function.
If it wasn't full of pots and pans at all times, they'd be scattered across all horizontal surfaces in the kitchen cos they sure as hell won't go in a cupboards.
Too much 5h1te...:mad:

Reactions: Nod
Thank goodness people haven't started putting webcams into toilets!!!:D
I think they have, but the law frowns on it and people get arrested if they get caught :D

Of course :p
( that was the point ;) )

Its a bit like that dishwasher thing, ok it washes dishes but it has an equally important storage function.
Organise, organise, organise.
Never had a dish washer ( well I did till she buggered off :D ) never felt the need TBH.
It seems you need to rinse a lot of the stuff before you wash it ...

You do

get yourself a baking maniac in your household and you'll soon come around to dishwasher cupboards

:cautious:

I find myself putting stuff in the fridge that doesn't actually need to be in there because the pantry is stuffed to the nuts.

If it wasn't full of pots and pans at all times, they'd be scattered across all horizontal surfaces in the kitchen cos they sure as hell won't go in a cupboards.
Too much 5h1te...:mad:

Dishwasher...another thing I've made it through life without.

get yourself a baking maniac in your household and you'll soon come around to dishwasher cupboards
:LOL: not much danger of that here :D

My Gran would say the same thing about the toilet!:puke:

Thank goodness people haven't started putting webcams into toilets!!!:D

Better stay out of Korea then. :eek:

Dishwasher...another thing I've made it through life without.

One can, and we did it for a year while our children were growing up, but TBH life is too short to wash dishes much. :)

Better stay out of Korea then. :eek:

One can, and we did it for a year while our children were growing up, but TBH life is too short to wash dishes much. :)

I'll take your word for it. Washing up takes as much time as loading the dishwasher.

Made it to almost 50 so far without ever keeping any sauces, pickles, eggs, veg or fruit in the fridge. :)

I ignore use by dates and use my nose, eyes and common sense however ketchup never used to say keep it in the fridge until fairly recently - I think they removed (had to?) some preservatives and as such it is now recommended

I ignore use by dates and use my nose, eyes and common sense however ketchup never used to say keep it in the fridge until fairly recently - I think they removed (had to?) some preservatives and as such it is now recommended
The preservative was probably salt.

So the fridge just arrived.

There's a warning in the instruction book that tells you not to use any electronic devices inside it..................................

Please do keep us up to date IF your purchase needs any warranty work or you have any problems a person has to contact you that's the proof of the pud.......AO all the time for us. Currys ;)are for eating not buying stuff from

I'll take your word for it. Washing up takes as much time as loading the dishwasher.

Of course it doesn't , you load it as you use the items and turn it on when it's full, you do need lots of cutlery though

Of course it doesn't , you load it as you use the items and turn it on when it's full, you do need lots of cutlery though

When there's just one or two people, it's just not worth it imo.
Dishes could be sat in there for days, and even if they're rinsed first (might as well wash them in that case), that's still pretty :puke:

Of course they are, where did I post people can't make choices, I was replying to the comment it's as quick to wash up as it is to fill a dishwasher.

I still say it is.

Between the 2 of us (and the cat!), we dirty (on average) 6 plates/bowls and the associated cutlery, 2 pans, 2 cups and 2 glasses per day so 3-4 days for a full dishwasher load. By which time the dirt from day 1's cereal bowls and the pans is encrusted unless the items are properly rinsed before loading. As Ruth says, easier and quicker to wash up once a day.

As Ruth says, easier and quicker to wash up once a day.
Or get a dog and leave the plates on the floor (y)
:D

Na...ya see, yaw'l missing the point.

you have a distorted perspective

Its not a dishwasher

Its a cupboard that washes dishes

:)

we should start a thread about floordrobes, chair hangers and bowls of pot-pourri made out of coins and car keys

Just so I'm clear have we paid for the 5 minute argument or the full half hour :D

Between the 2 of us (and the cat!), we dirty (on average) 6 plates/bowls and the associated cutlery, 2 pans, 2 cups and 2 glasses per day so 3-4 days for a full dishwasher load. By which time the dirt from day 1's cereal bowls and the pans is encrusted unless the items are properly rinsed before loading. As Ruth says, easier and quicker to wash up once a day.

There's 3 of us, 4 at weekends so it's on nearly every day , amazingly though it's the one electronic device the children seem to be able to ignore completely

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear have we paid for the 5 minute argument or the full half hour :D

There's 3 of us, 4 at weekends so it's on nearly every day , amazingly though it's the one electronic device the children seem to be able to ignore completely

Makes sense for you to have one, just about. Unless one of the household has Weetabix for brekkie - that stuff sticks like s*** to a blanket when it dries! I reckon it would hold tiles up. :D

we should start a thread about floordrobes, chair hangers and bowls of pot-pourri made out of coins and car keys
Don't forget the chairdrobe, for those of us that can't actually reach the floor to pick "it" up (y)

This is TP, its the full month + argument :D

Unless one of the household has Weetabix for brekkie - that stuff sticks like s*** to a blanket when it dries! I reckon it would hold tiles up. :D

Porridge made with salt is worse!

Still cant believe there's an argument about washing up on this forum!

So the fridge just arrived.

There's a warning in the instruction book that tells you not to use any electronic devices inside it..................................
That's OK, I only keep rolls of film in my fridge freezer, not memory cards, so I should be fine! (y) See, there's another advantage to using film cameras! :D

Porridge made with salt is worse!

Still cant believe there's an argument about washing up on this forum!

Could be argued that it's better - for fixing tiles to the wall! :p

This is TP, its the full month + argument :D

Didn't used to be though, it's like pistonheads with cameras on here now , has everybody got grumpier with age , I know my f***wit tolerance is much lower in real life

Back