Theory Test

Techno-Geek

Boring
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
So it is time for my theory test today about 6-ish tonight. And like this is not the first time i have done it (FAILED quite a few times) So i was thinking does any of yous have pointers for me or whatever? And did anyone else find that the people in the test centre was complete and utter w"""""s????

I would like to hear you feedback (y)

Tony

been about 4 years since i did mine so i'm sure its changed loads...

it wasn't too bad though, although it did take me two attempts!

Dark chocolate could be intresting :)

It is really annoying and the people treat you like crap nowdays

Tony (y)

Which part are you failing on? Is it hazard perception. If so, you HAVE to wait for the hazard to "develop" I know a few people that lost marks on it just by anticipating the hazard and clicking too early.

Other than that, get a CD-rom for the computer with the questions and do some swatting up.

I did mine a couple of months ago and found the staff to be very pleasant, but then again i passed first time (total shock to me) so everyone I met was pleasant that day, i was kinda in a good mood about it. I took my test in Preston and its a well known fact that us Northern Folk are much happier than Southerners...

Id have to guess youre from somewhere down south, London, Norfolk or Kent id... All Miserable sods down there.

As above, which part are you struggling with? I found the DSA Mock Theory test DVD to be awesome, my average score using the Mock DVD was scraping a pass, on the actual day I got 100% in questions and 90% in hazard perception, so I believe the Mocks are harder than the actual test, to try and teach you to a higher level than is required, if that makes sense... Just dont get demoralised doing the mocks by failing a lot.

I am doing it in Norfolk, King's Lynn one and i am failing on the clicky clicky one, the video one (y)

Tony

As above, which part are you struggling with? I found the DSA Mock Theory test DVD to be awesome, my average score using the Mock DVD was scraping a pass, on the actual day I got 100% in questions and 90% in hazard perception, so I believe the Mocks are harder than the actual test, to try and teach you to a higher level than is required, if that makes sense... Just dont get demoralised doing the mocks by failing a lot.

Thanks for this Darryn. I'll let my little sister know about this DVD she's just booked to do her test.

Andrea

hi techno have a look on dvla web site theyve got some free tests you can do on computer and score will come up when youve finished if this helps

How do you keep failing? They're easy :D

Get swotting is the only thing really, its all common sense really :)

Maybe i will give the lady in there a couple of winks? :D

Betty - I haven't got a clue why i keep failing

Tony

I am doing it in Norfolk, King's Lynn one and i am failing on the clicky clicky one, the video one (y)

Tony

It sounds like it`s more mis-timing of the click than anything else. As an experienced driver, I took one for a bike test and found that I was looking for hazards effectively too early (as if that`s a bad thing on the road!?:puke:)

The way the machine scores is that you have to wait for something to actually happen.

There`s a number of online sites you can visit which may help.

Try:

http://www.theory-test.co.uk/asp/hazard_perception_info.asp

What so you don't have to click as you see them pop out just like when the driver needs to react?

Thinking about it, when I took mine I clicked it once when I saw it and then again when it started to develop. That way, even if you were too early you`d get some points from the second click. Just don`t go too mad with the clicks as it cancels out the score for that clip.

Some random questions on there Minkey

such as:
You can park on the right-hand side of a road at night

You answered: C

Correct answer: A

1. in a one-way street
2. with your sidelights on
3. more than 10 metres (32 feet) from a junction
4. under a lamp-post

That one used to come up on my theory CD-rom. Same answer too.

I took one and it came up with a first aid question. It wasn`t covered when I did mine. No bad thing though.

*Edit*

Found this on a site listing updates to the highway code

Parking at night — Rule 142. This prohibits parking on the "wrong" side of the road and is another rule that apparently a whole generation of drivers is unaware of and which appears never to be enforced. The wording needs to be strengthened to: "You must not park or wait at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow. In other words, you must not stop on the 'wrong' side of the road."

theory test ???????????????? whats that then ? i had to take a bloke with a red flag with me to the test station ! anyway hope you passed it this time .

Found this on a site listing updates to the highway code

Parking at night — Rule 142. This prohibits parking on the "wrong" side of the road and is another rule that apparently a whole generation of drivers is unaware of and which appears never to be enforced. The wording needs to be strengthened to: "You must not park or wait at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow. In other words, you must not stop on the 'wrong' side of the road."

Damn - I have broken that one sooooooo many times then! How does which way you car is facing effect anything anyway? seems very random!

Thinking about it, when I took mine I clicked it once when I saw it and then again when it started to develop. That way, even if you were too early you`d get some points from the second click. Just don`t go too mad with the clicks as it cancels out the score for that clip.

Aye, my instructor told me to click at each stage of the incident, so once when you first notice it, then again when its starts to develop, again when its obviously going wrong and then finally just as action is being taken... On some of the clips i clicked about 8-10 times, but as long as you dont just click like a mad-man or double click it shouldnt void the question.

This is the updated version of the one I used, when i started learning it was 35 questions by the time i was taking my test it had gone up to 50 iirc... But, id highly recommend that package. In fact, i lent mine to a friend at work for his daughter, ill see if she still has a need for it, if not, ill be happy to donate it on here to anyone on here... with any luck ill not need it again.

:( gutted for you.

What was your scores? did you fail on the hazard perception again? and how are you practicing?

I failed by one mistake on the click one, really not a good day for me. However i did get some photos to lighten the mood, probely crap though :)

Tony

Thanks for the support guys, wish west ham supporters like you :p

Tony

my son takes his theory next week, he's been practicing on a DVD mock.

Damn - I have broken that one sooooooo many times then! How does which way you car is facing effect anything anyway? seems very random!

...........white lights to the front red to the rear, which end of the car are the reflectors on?
not all streets are lit the approching car's headlights should pick up the red reflectors making the car visable
Not so likely if its facing the wrong way.........

And if the headlights are ON the angle of the beam is in the center of the road which can dazzle on coming traffic.

I can't believe i failed by one point again.

I tried so hard getting training this time aswell.

Oh well. There is a next time YAY :)

Tony (y)

Back