There are some numpties about.....

S

stepheno

Further to a recent thread about Ebay I've been looking about for a lens and was browsing Ebay. I was looking at the Canon 17-85 and a used one has just gone for a highest bid of £365 inc postage. Well I thought to myself you must have more money than sense - Kea Photo (HK) will do it new for £336 inc postage and even in this country the cheapest is £409 from WEx. :nut:

regards

Yep, saw a Canon 28-105 USM go for £245 last year, even new from Jessops they're only £190 odd.

:D

What do you think THIS will go for then with 6 days to go!

What a fantastic tool and you rarely see them in this condition, they've usually been hammered by pros.

About 3 years ago I sold most of my DVDs on fleabay....amazingly enough most sold for more than from Amazon new. Not quite so easy now ;) I think DSLRs & lenses are the new fad....good excuse to sell & upgrade ;)

I often wonder how many people misunderstand what they are looking at, especially stuff like the 28-105 - wonder how many think this is similar to a 24-105L. Its the only reason I can see why people would go to such a ridiculous price in many cases.

Yep, Ive hammered a few of those F1s in my time, fantastic camera though, Thrown 2 down the road with me still attached and picked em up and carried on taking pics with em.:embarasse

Warspite said:
I often wonder how many people misunderstand what they are looking at, especially stuff like the 28-105 - wonder how many think this is similar to a 24-105L. Its the only reason I can see why people would go to such a ridiculous price in many cases.
I can only assume thats it. They don't understand what they are bidding on.

regards

stepheno said:
I can only assume thats it. They don't understand what they are bidding on.

regards

Nope , ebay is full of the Stupids.

I bought my Son a saxophone from a ebay shop based in Brighton , each week they would put one up for auction starting at 99p. Three auctions in a row the bids exceeded the buy now price by a good margin.

I repeat , ebay is full of the Stupids.

:banghead:

mrgubby said:
Three auctions in a row the bids exceeded the buy now price by a good margin.

That really annoys me, I was looking for a new rucksack a while ago and the vendor put different listings for the same bag model, some Buy it now, some regular auction. The auction ALWAYS went higher than buy it now :hissyfit:

i sold a tripod and bag on ebay, i used the description from the manufacturers site, the tripod got snapped up by someone who also bought the bad i had on, he had it for 3 weeks before suddenly deciding he didnt like it, he asked me for a refund, which i politely declined on the grounds of it being over 7 days from the date of receipt etc, but he persisted, saying i had misdescribed the item, which i hadnt, he even provided me with an email from the manufacturer saying the same as what i had, but with a 'safe' use limit, politely again i told him to get lost, relist it himself. He complained to paypal that i had misrepresented the product, paypal sent ONE email to me and gave me 10 days to respond. Unfortunately that one email was labeled spam and deleted, so paypal found in favour of the buyer, and totally rejected my appeal as i 'hadnt responded' the first time round. What a bunch of crooks. The idiot who bought the tripod claimed for the full amount of the transaction(according to paypals resolution center, i never actually got any indication of amounts via email, even after requesting it from paypal) the buyer tried to get more money out of me for extra postage, but a couple of calls to paypal got the tripod returned to me, at the cost of £7 postage to the buyer, who is now a few quid out of pocket, i have the tripod back to resell.

Obviously im annoyed about the whole thing, but the only saving grace is the bag and tripod were both free to me in the first place from magazine subscriptions, so ive only been inconvinienced, but beware, Ebay is full of idiots, and biased against the seller in claims.

CT said:
What do you think THIS will go for then with 6 days to go!

What a fantastic tool and you rarely see them in this condition, they've usually been hammered by pros.

Well that was developing into a proper bidding war and the seller has ended the auction early with 4 days to go, selling to the current high bidder at £460.

What's that all about then? Haven't seen that happen before. :ponders:

Beats me Sammy! I can only think that the seller is a very honest person who felt that he was happy with the price the camera had reached, or there's been some sort of deal struck between him and the successful bidder. There I go... being cynical again - I must watch that! :whistle2:

Or...does Murphy's Law state that the more members Ebay has there will be, proportionately, more crooks. :suspect1:

regards

I noticed that one. Could quite fancy a dabble with it myself.

regards

stepheno said:
I noticed that one. Could quite fancy a dabble with it myself.

regards

Do it! That's a nice example. :smilenod:

Have a look at the official Canon auction site. Go to google type in the search for canon_uk1. (don't forget the underscore) and click on the official E-bay shop site "not any of the wheeler dealer" sites. Its run for Canon UK by Digital Rivers. I am waiting for a raft of 430EX Speedlites to be auctioned in April, according to the info I have. By the way all of the items are covered by Canons 12 Month warranty. Regards Brian Wright.

God that's so tempting - but i never even use the wet cameras I have now - the Leica M6 is a shelf ornament, as is the FM2n and the F5 hasn't seen daylight in over 2 years...

i just got a brank-spanking new 1dmkII from canon outlet on ebay...yes they say 'refurb; but this one's unsullied by human hand.
less than a 5D and the cheapest I've seen one go for there yet :D i'm beyond happy with it, took it for its first outing at the weekend, rowing race on in london, its an amazing machine! didnt seem worth stumping up the extra ££ for the 1dmkII N, being £1000 more!!

Back