Things to love or hate about cars...

The 5 Litre tub cost me £7.50 and it looks like I need another. :mad:

Got a Toolstation near you?

10 litres is a small "bottle" of Adblue - a 5 litre one is pretty much an emergency, get-you-home jug to keep in the boot, sold when they see you coming...

I see your common a garden adblue with a nice easy fill tank and raise you...EOLYS for Volvo/Ford/PSA 1.6D engines. Every 3 years I have to faff about under the car, run 3 separate a software procedures, fill the tank and reset a software counter. (Or if you're not technical, get ripped off by Volvo for the privilege)

(EDIT: It's only 1 software command, it's 3 to replace the tank)

Last edited:
Got a Toolstation near you?

Thanks for the link. (y)

I've just got a car again after 15 years of walking everywhere.

I've spent the last few weeks coping with speed cameras, avarage speed cameras, heavier traffic, having to get in the right lane before you even know where it goes, side roads narrowed by too many parked cars, expensive parking, just finding a place to park, the fact you have to push the gear lever a little to the left to get into first... It's been a bit stressful for a week or two.

However, cars go like they used to, do more miles, are very hard to stall, don't rust away and don't conk out the moment it rains. I remember having the side of crisp box behind the radiator grill of my Mini Traveller to stop water being splashed up on to the leads and driving pas cars parked on pavements drying out their electrics, whenever there was torrential rain.

Swings and roundabouts.

don't rust away

Not true I'm afraid. I have a theory that perpetuation of this myth and servicing intervals being longer is what's driving the trend of modern cars being absolutely knackered at 10 years old, worse than cars of the 90s were at 20 years old, and cost around 10x as much!

Not true I'm afraid. I have a theory that perpetuation of this myth and servicing intervals being longer is what's driving the trend of modern cars being absolutely knackered at 10 years old, worse than cars of the 90s were at 20 years old, and cost around 10x as much!

I reckon that's more down to poor driving technique than anything else. Modern cars are "modular though, you rarely service bits, just replace them, but then it's easier to do. One thing's for sure, modern cars are much, much safer than those of even 20 years ago, let alone going back to the days when cars had carburettors and points (which were so unreliable).

How are you defining modern cars? I see plenty of 10+ year old cars on the road. I bought a Honda Civic in 2002, sold in in 2016 with 145k miles on it. It's still on the road the 188k miles.

How are you defining modern cars? I see plenty of 10+ year old cars on the road. I bought a Honda Civic in 2002, sold in in 2016 with 145k miles on it. It's still on the road the 188k miles.

My Wife's R56 Mini One is 10 years old, hasn't done 20k yet either!

My Wife's R56 Mini One is 10 years old, hasn't done 20k yet either!

My Mini Countryman had about 120,000 miles on the clock at 9 years old and still drove better than most of the cars I've had from just a couple of years old. While older cars were often easier to repair, by the time they were 10 years old they seemed OLD with sloppy handling and reduced power, but many modern designs don't seem bad at all at that age. I would tend to avoid Peugeots now however, because they DO fall to bits pretty badly.

My Mini Countryman had about 120,000 miles on the clock at 9 years old and still drove better than most of the cars I've had from just a couple of years old. While older cars were often easier to repair, by the time they were 10 years old they seemed OLD with sloppy handling and reduced power, but many modern designs don't seem bad at all at that age. I would tend to avoid Peugeots now however, because they DO fall to bits pretty badly.

I have to admit to being a bit of a Mini fan, my current car is a JCW Clubman, I've had it from new, it's not long had it's 2nd MOT and it's just rolled over the 40k mark. I've enjoyed every Mini that I've owned, and only changed due to upgrades or replacement on PCP. I've bought this one outright now, with me not having any steady work, it seemed the thing to do when we sold the house, and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

Thing is, you need a computer to do almost anything on modern cars. When I changed the pads the warning light stayed on because I couldn't reset it. Had to get a mate to pop over and do it for me...

Never owned a French car, had a Citroen BX190 as a company car for a while, until the air suspension failed on the M1.

The wife's cooper SD convertible is the slightly older generation from the countryman, and has been a bit rattly/squeaky & not 100%, but still better than the last 3 French cars. I had a soft spot for Citroens, but they are no longer what they were.

I used to love driving. A car was my pride and joy, I'd polish and wash mine almost everyday when I was in my 20s, they were gleaming.

Now, I'm not so kee especially after a rake of problems with a recent purchase. It got to the point when I realised eveything that need doing on it (diesel injectors being the main thing but also a potential DPF problem), it would be cheaper to change, so I sold it back to the trade and got myself a Renault Megane. Compared to the previous 2 sporty types I've owned, the Megane is like a big, fluffy sofa, I actually quite enjoy driving it again. I must be getting old.

I’m not anti car in any way. I still read car magazines and watch motorsports, but since getting rid of my car a couple of years ago I really haven’t missed having one at all.

I totally agree. Our Skoda Octavia is 16 years old, 184K miles, no rust anywhere, went through the last MOT with no advisories. We bought the car in 2012 with 92K on the clock. The cars from the 60's, 70's, and even 80's were just rotboxes, less safe, no creature comforts, less economic.

I’m not anti car in any way. I still read car magazines and watch motorsports, but since getting rid of my car a couple of years ago I really haven’t missed having one at all.

My Mrs wouldn't ever ride pillion, and I needed a car for work. Turning up to a £!m a year customer in my leathers may not have gone down too well. I used to commute from Hillingdon to Brick Lane almost every day by bike. I had 2 suits and a bunch of shirts in my locker at work so could change when I got there. I couldn't be without a car for my other hobbies, you can't get a load of fishing gear on a bike....

Sidecar! :p

Used to do a week's camping on my old GS 550. 4 man tent, airbed, double duvet, Mrs Nod, cooker etc..

My Mrs wouldn't ever ride pillion, and I needed a car for work. Turning up to a £!m a year customer in my leathers may not have gone down too well. I used to commute from Hillingdon to Brick Lane almost every day by bike. I had 2 suits and a bunch of shirts in my locker at work so could change when I got there. I couldn't be without a car for my other hobbies, you can't get a load of fishing gear on a bike....

My wife loved my bike, it was the ZX6R but I got shot due to the carb issue and got a GSXR600 instead. After moving back up to Scotland I wasn't keen to keep riding. Still miss it though and when in London I remember going to Argos near City Airport to buy a load of weights (barbells and dumbbells) and forgot that I wasn't in the car! lol I had no choice but to strap them down across the pillion seat and have a very 'interesting' ride home!

I reckon that's more down to poor driving technique than anything else. Modern cars are "modular though, you rarely service bits, just replace them, but then it's easier to do. One thing's for sure, modern cars are much, much safer than those of even 20 years ago, let alone going back to the days when cars had carburettors and points (which were so unreliable).

Hey.! I've been looking at T25/3 campers lately :ROFLMAO: So overpriced though. And no aircon for this time of year. Also crap heaters for the opposite time of the year
:ROFLMAO:

I stopped thinking about these things many years ago. I just do what come naturally.

Bloody electronics strike again! THe passenger side central locking has failed on the C30. According to VIDA (Volvo dealer software) The Passenger Door Module needs replacing. According to the internet, the door lock unit needs replacing. Not sure whose right yet, but either case is fun and games:

1) If PDM, I can replace it cheaply enough and only needs the doorcard off to get at, but it will either need a Volvo dealer to reload the software, or me to clone the old unit using some 3rd party software and my Chinese clone Comms cable.
2) If lock unit, the entire door needs disassembling, Everything has to come out Glass, wiring, the lot, stopping shy of actually taking the door off the hinges. Awkward fiddle job.

So for now I'm going back to 80s mode and locking it from the inside manually. :rolleyes:

Bloody electronics strike again! THe passenger side central locking has failed on the C30. According to VIDA (Volvo dealer software) The Passenger Door Module needs replacing. According to the internet, the door lock unit needs replacing. Not sure whose right yet, but either case is fun and games:

1) If PDM, I can replace it cheaply enough and only needs the doorcard off to get at, but it will either need a Volvo dealer to reload the software, or me to clone the old unit using some 3rd party software and my Chinese clone Comms cable.
2) If lock unit, the entire door needs disassembling, Everything has to come out Glass, wiring, the lot, stopping shy of actually taking the door off the hinges. Awkward fiddle job.

So for now I'm going back to 80s mode and locking it from the inside manually. :rolleyes:

Door module failures are common with Jaguar cars and coincidentally Ford cars. I think the C30 was produced through the period where there was Ford involvement which is the same for Jaguar, so it looks like both may have suffered thanks to Ford lol

I can't comment on the C30, but with the Jaguar (perhaps similar electronics due to Ford involvement) it's just a case of door card off and plug 'n' play with the new module (making sure to get the correct module if you've got keyless entry). It would normally only be software related when it was due to the battery being disconnected and the immobiliser settings get scrambled, resulting in a door not locking. A 20 minute plug into a laptop sorts it (I think my Autel scanner can sort it as well, there is an option for it).

Good luck either way, these days I'm starting to view cars as bad value for money and it certainly feels like the accountants are in charge and not the engineers.

Door module failures are common with Jaguar cars and coincidentally Ford cars. I think the C30 was produced through the period where there was Ford involvement which is the same for Jaguar, so it looks like both may have suffered thanks to Ford lol

I can't comment on the C30, but with the Jaguar (perhaps similar electronics due to Ford involvement) it's just a case of door card off and plug 'n' play with the new module (making sure to get the correct module if you've got keyless entry). It would normally only be software related when it was due to the battery being disconnected and the immobiliser settings get scrambled, resulting in a door not locking. A 20 minute plug into a laptop sorts it (I think my Autel scanner can sort it as well, there is an option for it).

Good luck either way, these days I'm starting to view cars as bad value for money and it certainly feels like the accountants are in charge and not the engineers.

I’m wondering what cars with complicated electrical systems will be like once they are a few years old , engines etc will probably last for ever but the electronics won’t be economic to repair

Last edited:
I’m wondering what cars with complicated electrical systems will be like once they are a few years old , engines etc will probably last for ever but the electronics won’t be economic to repair

They would probably just replace the whole unit, or a module within the unit.

That would be nice, I suppose it depends on the manufacturer. I'm only an enthusiast but my money would still be on Japanese being the most reliable engines. All that plastic composite material being used in the engine bays which seems to be the weak point, probably due to the heat cycles. I believe the material itself can actually be very good, but it's the seams where the ultrasonic welds are which can split and fail.

The Jaguar engines still have their problems, with the older ones they were derived from Ford but even the newer Jaguar developed Ingenium diesels have their issues. But the biggest problem I've found with them is the sheer time it takes to get to the engine as there is so much other stuff which needs to be removed first. It feels like the engineers build the core engine, then thought of something else to stick on top, and then so on so fourth instead of designing it all from the beginning.

To give a quick example, to change the (plastic composite) inlet manifolds which is part of the integrated rocker cover on the Jaguar 3.0d takes over 8 hours just to get to them (there's two being a V6). With the 2.4 petrol Honda Accord I once had I could remove the rocker cover, manually adjust all the intake and exhaust lifters to correct tolerances and refit in just over 1 hour - and I'm not a mechanic and that included fabricating a tool to do the adjustment because the injectors were in the way.

Another example is the supercharger in the XF 5.0 V8 which I believe can take hours to remove and refit and a pig of a job apparently. The Audi S4 supercharger can be removed in 15 minutes. lol

That would be nice, I suppose it depends on the manufacturer. I'm only an enthusiast but my money would still be on Japanese being the most reliable engines. All that plastic composite material being used in the engine bays which seems to be the weak point, probably due to the heat cycles. I believe the material itself can actually be very good, but it's the seams where the ultrasonic welds are which can split and fail.

The Jaguar engines still have their problems, with the older ones they were derived from Ford but even the newer Jaguar developed Ingenium diesels have their issues. But the biggest problem I've found with them is the sheer time it takes to get to the engine as there is so much other stuff which needs to be removed first. It feels like the engineers build the core engine, then thought of something else to stick on top, and then so on so fourth instead of designing it all from the beginning.

To give a quick example, to change the (plastic composite) inlet manifolds which is part of the integrated rocker cover on the Jaguar 3.0d takes over 8 hours just to get to them (there's two being a V6). With the 2.4 petrol Honda Accord I once had I could remove the rocker cover, manually adjust all the intake and exhaust lifters to correct tolerances and refit in just over 1 hour - and I'm not a mechanic and that included fabricating a tool to do the adjustment because the injectors were in the way.

Another example is the supercharger in the XF 5.0 V8 which I believe can take hours to remove and refit and a pig of a job apparently. The Audi S4 supercharger can be removed in 15 minutes. lol
Oh wow that’s not good 8 hours work to get to the top of the engine, I guess once that Jaguar is a few years old jobs like that would make it uneconomical to repair unless it’s an enthusiast doing it themselves
The last car I did all my own work on was a ford Seirra it was easy to work on unfortunately though it rotted away
Cars don’t seem to rust nowadays which is a good thing

Oh wow that’s not good 8 hours work to get to the top of the engine, I guess once that Jaguar is a few years old jobs like that would make it uneconomical to repair unless it’s an enthusiast doing it themselves
The last car I did all my own work on was a ford Seirra it was easy to work on unfortunately though it rotted away
Cars don’t seem to rust nowadays which is a good thing

Aye the lack of rust is definitely a bonus in the UK! lol

You've pretty much nailed my thought process with regard to my current car. It ticks every box except for the engine. Whilst it's been pretty reliable so far, the sheer time it takes to fix the things which may (or are soon due because of mileage) to fail will be very time consuming (inlet manifolds, EGR valves, top end powertrain etc) each time and being Euro 5 I'm just not willing to sink any money into it.

The 5.0 V8 would probably be worth it because it will probably become a classic of sorts, but unless you have an extended main dealer warranty the costs can be horrific for what I can only describe as inherent design flaws which the manufacturer should really be fixing for free. One such example is the electronic rear diff, there was a paste used in the casting process and they forgot to clean it off before fitting resulting in failures at mileages as low as mid-20k. If you don't have a warranty I believe the bill can be thousands. I just don't see these sort of costs as being worth it unless you are tracking the car.

Going to get some more adblue for the car later on, may as well. Just another thing to think about. Can't wait till they get a proper electric car system up and running, and have plenty of charging points, that do super fast charging.

Going to get some more adblue for the car later on, may as well. Just another thing to think about. Can't wait till they get a proper electric car system up and running, and have plenty of charging points, that do super fast charging.

I can't go PHEV or EV until they get forecourt charging rates down to under 5 minutes (and without wrecking the battery), but I think that will eventually come and will negate the need for home charging - solving a pretty big current issue. I've also noticed that whenever I see a Tesla on the motorway it's always going pretty slow. Charge-watching? lol Maybe that will change as well.

My wife has a 2011 Mini, we changed the battery about 8 weeks ago, and she's now telling me that the air con isn't working. Looking it up, just changing the battery on a Mini means that certain things have to be recoded, yet her remote keys still work... Go figure...

Just been trying to put the adblue in the car, and I was trying to fill it via a funnel that I had made. I spilt a bit and it took ages to do it.

Just been trying to put the adblue in the car, and I was trying to fill it via a funnel that I had made. I spilt a bit and it took ages to do it.

I just noticed a little tag that said " PEEL HERE". The poring spout was concealed behind the plastic wrapper, I just never noticed, till I had finished.

:mad:

IMG_ad.JPG

I am such a thicko at times.

Things to hate about modern cars...

While out yesterday the car started to lose power, the car came to a crawl and would only limp along. The word in green said "LIMIT", I did not activate the speed limiter, maybe I knocked it by accident. But I had to pull over, and re start the engine.

Aye the lack of rust is definitely a bonus in the UK! lol

You've pretty much nailed my thought process with regard to my current car. It ticks every box except for the engine. Whilst it's been pretty reliable so far, the sheer time it takes to fix the things which may (or are soon due because of mileage) to fail will be very time consuming (inlet manifolds, EGR valves, top end powertrain etc) each time and being Euro 5 I'm just not willing to sink any money into it.

The 5.0 V8 would probably be worth it because it will probably become a classic of sorts, but unless you have an extended main dealer warranty the costs can be horrific for what I can only describe as inherent design flaws which the manufacturer should really be fixing for free. One such example is the electronic rear diff, there was a paste used in the casting process and they forgot to clean it off before fitting resulting in failures at mileages as low as mid-20k. If you don't have a warranty I believe the bill can be thousands. I just don't see these sort of costs as being worth it unless you are tracking the car.
Jaguar should absolutely be footing the bill for their mistake there, that’s terrible. The more you tell me about the problems with the XF, the more I’m glad we got rid of ours. I did a search for it recently for old times sake but it’s not even listed on the government site, so it’s either been wrecked, scrapped or taken overseas.

Jaguar should absolutely be footing the bill for their mistake there, that’s terrible. The more you tell me about the problems with the XF, the more I’m glad we got rid of ours. I did a search for it recently for old times sake but it’s not even listed on the government site, so it’s either been wrecked, scrapped or taken overseas.

Aye, for sure. I think if you one who is happy to browse the car forums and learn about all the inherent faults you can prevent many of them rather easily and with little cost, but you really shouldn't have to do this and for those who don't they can be landed with some pretty hefty and unfair bills. The fact that Jaguar recently reduced their used car warranty from two years to one year is perhaps a little telling as well.

What did you change to?

Aye, for sure. I think if you one who is happy to browse the car forums and learn about all the inherent faults you can prevent many of them rather easily and with little cost, but you really shouldn't have to do this and for those who don't they can be landed with some pretty hefty and unfair bills. The fact that Jaguar recently reduced their used car warranty from two years to one year is perhaps a little telling as well.

What did you change to?

A years warranty? That’s pathetic these days, especially when you think you can get the balance of a seven year warranty transferred with some of the Korean brands.

We went to an Audi Q5 after the Jag. Nowhere near as comfortable a ride, especially as it’s on 20” rims, and certainly nowhere near as exciting. I loved that big shove in the back from the XF when you put your foot down. Also the rotating air vents and the whizzy gear selector popping up always put a grin in my face, big kid that I am.

But part of the problem with the Jag was getting in and out of it (neither of us are spring chickens and we’ve both got bad backs). The Audi is just so much easier. It’s nicely built and hasn’t missed a beat so far. I was tempted by the F Pace but the XF experience made me nervous of buying another Jag.

A years warranty? That’s pathetic these days, especially when you think you can get the balance of a seven year warranty transferred with some of the Korean brands.

We went to an Audi Q5 after the Jag. Nowhere near as comfortable a ride, especially as it’s on 20” rims, and certainly nowhere near as exciting. I loved that big shove in the back from the XF when you put your foot down. Also the rotating air vents and the whizzy gear selector popping up always put a grin in my face, big kid that I am.

But part of the problem with the Jag was getting in and out of it (neither of us are spring chickens and we’ve both got bad backs). The Audi is just so much easier. It’s nicely built and hasn’t missed a beat so far. I was tempted by the F Pace but the XF experience made me nervous of buying another Jag.

It gets worse, a fairly local VW main dealer to me is an Arnold Clark and you only get 60 days warranty on a used VW! :oops: :$ Yep, 60 measly days. I thought that all main dealers gave at least a year's warranty on their used cars but it seems Arnold Clark don't, It's also some weird warranty setup, I think it's subcontracted out but the work is still done at Arnold Clark (but you can still choose to go somewhere else as well?).

The "Product Consultant" lol waffled on about an amazing multi point check and how the car would be thoroughly inspected and anything found would be sorted, in other words they'd give it a wash, but the whole time that crap was coming out of his mouth I kept thinking that if their pre-sales inspection was so amazing then why do they not have the confidence to follow it up with a year's warranty?

Back