Things to visit around Rome?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I'm going to Rome next month for 3 1/2 days as part of a little Euro trip.

I'm going to visit all of the usual sights whilst there, but I was wondering is it worth venturing outside of the city? Can you catch a train to some other good places worth visiting?

Any advice would be great. Suggestions within Rome also.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I'm going to Rome next month for 3 1/2 days as part of a little Euro trip.

I'm going to visit all of the usual sights whilst there, but I was wondering is it worth venturing outside of the city? Can you catch a train to some other good places worth visiting?

Any advice would be great. Suggestions within Rome also.

Thanks.

You can reach Pompeii and Herculaneum by train but this is quite a long day. The Eurostar is the fastest way to get to Naples, but it's pretty expensive. The Inter City is more reasonable and doesn't take much longer. Once you're in Naples, catch the Circumvesuviana from the lower level of the station. Get off at Pompeii Scavi (Excavation) or Ercolano, which is is also known as Ercolano Scavi, depending which one you're visiting. Herculaneum is smaller, better preserved and doesn't get as busy. Don't try to visit both on the same day because you'll have to rush, and you won't be able to appreciate either of them properly. June will be hot and I'd advise you to take a hat if you're sensitive to the sun, and carry water.

Ostia Antica (the old port of Rome) is a lot more accessible. You can get there by metro/local train and it only takes about 30 minutes. The site isn't as well known as Pompeii and Herculaneum, and it doesn't get as crowded. It's well preserved, fascinating and this would be my choice if you're pushed for time. Enjoy yourself!

One thing i would say is that the hop on hop off bus is very well worth it..

Here are another 3 worth looking up before you go:

knights of Malta keyhole view of St Peters.
'wedding cake' which is the Altare della Patria.
Castel Sant'angelo

I love Rome, just wondering around was great.

Last edited:
Back