Beginner Things you wished you'd known earlier

Sirch summed it up pretty well, it sucks you in like quicksand and the next thing you know you are eyeing up a kidney for sale....

Equipment doesn't matter.
Camera settings don't matter most of the time - auto works perfectly fine 9 times out of 10.
Ignore anyone who tries to tell you about 'rules'
Devour photography books, flickr, instagram, youtube
Understand why you like particular photos.
Practice, Practice, Practice.
Print your images and put them on the wall

The thing is, photography is a single word for a vast range of tools and techniques. For some shots, e,g, birds in flight, equipment is pretty crucial, and ...

I was going to say for others it doesn't matter but then I couldn't think of any situation where the equipment doesn't contribute. I shot some stuff on film with a pin hole camera for world pinhole camera day a month ago, guess what, the equipment - a pinhole camera - was as critical to that exercise as the right equipment is to birds-in-flight shots. That is not to say that you cannot do good work with whatever you have but you need to understand it's limitations.

Seriously I have been giving this some thought and the single piece of advice that applies to a lot of the photos I really admire is right place, right time. In fact, perhaps with the exclusion of "studio" shots, that applies to genres.

That video tripods that look too narrow are.

At least it was only a UV filter that smashed (albeit £350 worth)

How much of my "thinking" time it would take up. It has become a drug that I can't do without and it does affect my mental state.

How much of my "thinking" time it would take up. It has become a drug that I can't do without and it does affect my mental state.

In a good or bad way?

I find getting absorbed into photography keeps me away from constantly working or thinking about work or worrying that I should be working. I am a rank amateur with regards photography but I don't give a damn, I find I it such a breath of fresh air that it keeps me sane :)

Last edited:
@trevjm

Having retired 5 years ago, I picked up a camera again and hoped that it would help me to continue to develop my creative side. Having taught for nearly 40 years, I needed to keep the creative juices flowing. Mainly into sports photography, I took the long road to developing both my practical and observational skills. I was happy to do this, rather than go on a course. Being a kinaesthetic learner, I felt that this might be the best option.
I'm now at the stage where I am over critical with my work. I'll never take a brilliant image but I do have a standard that I try to achieve. Watched a video by Sean Tucker the other week and his words resonated with how I feel about myself. I watch vlogs on youtube and find myself saying, "All that way to the Lakes to take 2 images which aren't that good, why?" Then I'll look at my own images and say the same. My head spins some days with insecurity about my "lack of talent" and I have had periods where I've sold quite a few lenses and second bodies. The following week, I've regretted the action.

Just back fro holiday with 500 snaps to work through. They are holiday shots, taken while out on long walks. They can't be anything more than that. The trash is filling up quickly.
Looked at upgrading to a D500 from the D7200 that I own. What's the point? It will only mean MORE images from a sports shoot and more to depress myself with.
Been asked a few times to do a wedding. Explained that I don't have the confidence OR the skills to do this. Run on the road or fells and I might come up with a decent picture.
I'm trying to be a bit different and create my own style. It's not working and I'm becoming more and more frustrated.

Sorry the reply is long and incoherent. That's what happens in my brain every day. Someone will tell me to put the camera in the drawer and come back to it later. The advice doesn't work

A few of my sports pics. Why am I putting up this link? Because I'm hoping that people will say that my work is okay. THAT'S the problem. I should be snapping for me and not looking for LIKES on social media.

https://www.stevefrithphotography.com/sportslidesho

Why am I putting up this link? Because I'm hoping that people will say that my work is okay. THAT'S the problem. I should be snapping for me

To me, your work IS OK. The thing of shooting 'for yourself' is just stupidity - pictures for the photographer alone are a barren bore unless the togger is so completely self-centred as to not care about other people, or so timid that they would not dare show their images to others. Like a musician, we need an audience to provide both validation and a sanity check for our work.

To me, your work IS OK. The thing of shooting 'for yourself' is just stupidity - pictures for the photographer alone are a barren bore unless the togger is so completely self-centred as to not care about other people, or so timid that they would not dare show their images to others. Like a musician, we need an audience to provide both validation and a sanity check for our work.

.....or customers to buy them :)

.....or customers to buy them :)

Big topic; short two word reply:

Van Gogh.

There are much cheaper hobbies than (classic) cars & photography........ :D

But, they are very enjoyable hobbies :cool:

Right...

There's nothing wrong with buying used - carefully.
Never buy a cheap tripod!!
Never buy cheap filters!
You'll never find the perfect bag/backpack.
Don't browse eBay out of boredom.....
You'll never sell everything that you say you will.....

Plus there's probably many more....

One I've learnt recently.......AutoISO. Kind of glad that I've spent my initial few years adjusting the ISO for most situations as it's taught me alot but in some situations I would have loved to have just taken the shot knowing the ISO would be OK.

I don't think anyone else has said this but think about the background. When you take a photo of your child, wife in the house your brain ignores the untidy mess behind them or ugly view from the window - but you won't when you see the photo. The same is true for macro, the first time I tried to do this stack
Stick insect stitch by davholla2002, on Flickr

My TV was in the background and I didn't notice how awful the background looked compared to the subject.

@davholla Thanks for the positive comment. My mental health level has just increased exponentially. Thinking about going on a local college course in September, even if some of it might be a bit basic. I'm sure that there are lots of holes in my learning.

That most of the time time you don't really *need* to upgrade. You're in the grip of a terrible addiction! A crack habit is often cheaper.

Last edited:
Back