Think i need another lens for my Panasonic G80....

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
At the moment I have an Olympus 45mm 1.8 for portraits etc.
I have the 12-60mm which is my day to day lens.
I also have the 100-400mm for birds and wildlife etc.
I need something to sit between the 12-60 and the 100-400 lenses, but not too big or heavy.
Considering the Panasonic 14-140 which could possibly replace the 12-60? But unsure about the IQ.
Is it similar to the 12-60?
Another I've thought about is the Panasonic 35-100 2.8 which should be decent quality and is a faster lens, but more expensive.
Just wondered what your thought were?
Anyone used both these lenses?
The olympus 40-150 2.8 pro would be hard to justify cost wise, and it's bigger and heavier.
Cheers.

Two cheap options: the Panasonic 45-150 f/4.0-5.6 or the Olympus 40-150 f/4.0-5.6. Both have great IQ for the price; the Olympus is the lightest because it's all plastic.

I had the Panasonic 14-140 MkI at some point and now also have the Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6. The 14-140 MkI was OK but I think IQ of the 12-60 is quite a bit better. The 14-140 MkI was also pretty heavy; the MkII version is supposed to be lighter and better optically but I haven't had the chance to use it.

If you really want a 10X zoom the Olympus 14-150 is supposed to be pretty good, but I would expect the IQ to be less impressive than the Panasonic 12-60, the Panasonic 45-150 f/4.0-5.6 and/or the Olympus 40-150 f/4.0-5.6.

The Olympus 75mm 1.8 - this would sit nicely between your 12-60 and 100-400, and it is supposedly a stunner.

I have that combo although the wife uses it now , have you thought about getting some adaptors and playing with M.F legacy glass , I have both m42 and Nikon adaptors so there’s a really good range of glass at very cheap prices to play with which is usually re.sellable at what you paid for it .. my favourite combo especially for night photography is the g80 and Nikon 50mm f1.4 ais ,there are also literally tons of 135mm m42 thread lenses available with some exceptional makes among them .... seek and ye shall find

It does seem to get good reviews.
Cheers

It's a lens I threatened to buy many times, just a bit short for what I'd mostly like to do with this type of lens - I prefer something a bit longer in a tele - though it would double as a very nice macro with my Raynox attached! Should be a great portrait lens also, and best thing about it is it's nicely sized and very light. When you consider it's basically the equivalent of a 70-200 on FF, but those things are huge!

Last edited:
It's a lens I threatened to buy many times, just a bit short for what I'd mostly like to do with this type of lens - I prefer something a bit longer in a tele - though it would double as a very nice macro with my Raynox attached! Should be a great portrait lens also, and best thing about it is it's nicely sized and very light. When you consider it's basically the equivalent of a 70-200 on FF, but those things are huge!
I think it's the likely favourite so far.
I was at a graffiti exhibition today and used the 12-60 mainly but felt it was a bit short for character shots.
I used the 100-400 quite a bit, mainly at the short end, but it was a bit bulky walking around with it.
Great for wildlife though, so I'd never get rid of that one.

I think it's the likely favourite so far.
I was at a graffiti exhibition today and used the 12-60 mainly but felt it was a bit short for character shots.
I used the 100-400 quite a bit, mainly at the short end, but it was a bit bulky walking around with it.
Great for wildlife though, so I'd never get rid of that one.

Seems the ideal choice then :) I still find it hard to believe it's actually lighter than the Olympus 12-40!! That is some impressive engineering that they can squeeze such a range into such a light-weight package. If you've ever seen or heard of a channel called 'Micro Four Nerds' on youtube, well the girl who runs it, Emily, did a video on this lens in the past and said she managed to get this lens into sports venues, in other vids she says she's gotten the same set up into music gigs.

Actually found the video:

Last edited:
I have the 35-100 f/2.8 and really pleased with it, even better when used with the dual is.
Comparatively small and light with no extending lens barrel, nothing I can think of to put down as a con

Plus one for this! Despite about to offload all my micro 4/3 stuff, this, the 12-35 2.8 and Leica 25mm will not be up for sale!

I have the Olympus 12-40 and Leica 25mm, they along with the 35-100 are the ones I wouldn't sell either.

I can get a mk1 35-100 in great Nick for £429 which is a good saving over a new mk2.
What do you guys think?
@tijuana taxi
@stickytape

I would go for it [I realise you didn't ask me :D ] - Dual IS is nice an' all, but afaik it's about half a stop better, unless that really matters? But for a good chunk more - optically they are the same

I can get a mk1 35-100 in great Nick for £429 which is a good saving over a new mk2.
What do you guys think?
@tijuana taxi
@stickytape

I certainly love mine even though I barely use it! They're insanely sharp - and to be honest -you won't loose much if anything on it anyway! Lens seems to go up in value, rather than down so you'll be fine if you decide its not for you! I'm confident you will love it - I'll try and get mine used next weekend if I get a moment!

I certainly love mine even though I barely use it! They're insanely sharp - and to be honest -you won't loose much if anything on it anyway! Lens seems to go up in value, rather than down so you'll be fine if you decide its not for you! I'm confident you will love it - I'll try and get mine used next weekend if I get a moment!
Cheers
Is yours a mk1 version?

Cheers
Is yours a mk1 version?

@Bobsyeruncle Mine is too, seemed a lot more money for the newer version with not that much gain
More than happy with the mk1 and hard to imagine the mk2 can be much better
With the latest firmware update it supports dual is, just not the newer dual is 2
My camera only supports the 1st version anyway, so that made no difference to me

Last edited:
I love my little Panasonic 45-150 f/4.0-5.6, my favourite/most-used lens, fits a treat on my little GX80 :cool:

Two cheap options: the Panasonic 45-150 f/4.0-5.6 or the Olympus 40-150 f/4.0-5.6. Both have great IQ for the price; the Olympus is the lightest because it's all plastic.
How much will you use it and in what conditions?
I have had the plastic Oly 40-150 since I bought into M43.
It's rarely used but it's very light to carry so often with me and when it does get used I'm pleased with the results.
Here's what I've put on Flickr using it...
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm13Zpeo

Thanks for the advice guys.
Popped into Ffordes this afternoon as we're staying the night in Dingwall on way to Harris and Lewis tomorrow.
I picked up a 35-100mm 2.8....
:)

Hope you like it, make sure the lens firmware is up to date so it can utilise the Dual IS feature

Attach it to the camera and check firmware as you normally do, it should be ver 1.3 for the lens
My Panasonic is via version display in the spanner section of the menu

Attach it to the camera and check firmware as you normally do, it should be ver 1.3 for the lens
My Panasonic is via version display in the spanner section of the menu

I've never update firmware! I enquired re my Nikon here on TP years ago and someone said ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That was years ago. Perhaps it's about time I did ... although, re Panasonic dual IS, I read that if you see the hand/DUAL icon then it's working. :thinking:

I've never update firmware! I enquired re my Nikon here on TP years ago and someone said ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That was years ago. Perhaps it's about time I did ... although, re Panasonic dual IS, I read that if you see the hand/DUAL icon then it's working. :thinking:

Your choice, but sometimes its very important or just highly beneficial.
For example Olympus introduced the anti shock settings via firmware.
Other companies such as Fuji offer some massive upgrades using firmware

Not sure about the hand icon, think that shows when any stabilisation is utilised albeit IBIS or OIS

Nikon are a different kettle - FW in general for most brands means improvement. I update FW on any camera or lens I own as soon as I open the box, I may give a quick check to ensure others are happy with the FW but usually it's worthwhile. Whoever said that was dishing out iffy advice IMO. That's telling you that the dodgy AF on a certain lens or that lock up issue on a certain camera is something you should just live it.

Cheers guys

So, GX80 .... I've looked at Setup > Version Disp. > says Body 1.2 / Lens 1.2

I connect the USB cable, and .....

Last edited:
Back