Beginner Thinking about buying a DSLR

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum and I am hoping some of you lovely people might be able to help me / offer some advise.

I love taking pics, I seem to have the eye for it but lack knowledge massively on camera functions e.g ISO, light settings etc.

I currently have a Nikon P520 and I love that it's point and shoot however, sometimes I really struggle to get it to do what I want it to. For example, taking images where the lighting isn't great (gigs, shows etc) or getting fast shutter speeds (sports day etc). I've trying playing with the settings but I usually end up with an image that's worse, blurry or completely black!

So my questions are: is it worth getting a DLSR, would it give me more freedom to change settings? Or am I best to learn how to use what I already have?

If it's worth getting a DLSR, are there any Nikon ones you would recommend to a newbie?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help / advise :)

I currently have a Nikon P520 and I love that it's point and shoot however, sometimes I really struggle to get it to do what I want it to. For example, taking images where the lighting isn't great (gigs, shows etc) or getting fast shutter speeds (sports day etc). I've trying playing with the settings but I usually end up with an image that's worse, blurry or completely black!

So my questions are: is it worth getting a DLSR, would it give me more freedom to change settings? Or am I best to learn how to use what I already have?

Hi there...

I'm not familiar with that camera but looking at the spec it's possible that the lenses aperture range of f3-5.9 may be a limiting factor for you and a f2.8 constant aperture zoom may suit you better or even a couple of prime lenses (fixed focal length lenses) with f1.4 or f1.8 apertures. Unfortunately wider aperture lenses tend to cost more... Years ago I used to shoot a lot at gigs and events and I had some of the issues you face now, but that was in the days of film :D when I didn't have the option of using the higher ISO's that are available today.

As you've been using you EVF equipped Nikon maybe a Compact System Camera (CSC) could be an option rather than a conventional DSLR?

You could take a look at the CSC's available from Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Sony. These camera and the lenses that go with them are generally more compact and lighter than DSLR's and that matters to me. They have other advantages and disadvantages too such as generally having better video features than DSLR's and I do think that these days a CSC is well worth thinking about as an alternative to conventional DSLR's.

You don't mention a budget or if you are willing to look at buying used gear so maybe you could give those things a thought and take a look at what DSLR and CSC camera and lens options are available. Personally I think that CSC offer a good solution and that's the way I've gone and have now sold all of my DSLR kit.

Just to give you a few ideas on prices, I have a couple of Micro Four Thirds Compact System Cameras and a few lenses and most of my MFT kit was bought used at reasonable prices. For example you could pick up a used Panasonic GX7 for £329...

http://www.ffordes.com/product/15102015545831

That leave lenses and I bought a 25mm f1.8 and a 45mm f1.8, both used, for about £150 each.

In total that little set up of one camera and two wide aperture lenses will cost in the region of £630, are you willing to pay that much?

I know you say that you love shooting in 'point and shoot' mode but I would strongly urge you to learn at least the basics of exposure (ISO, Shutter and Aperture) as the conditions that you are describing are tricky and cameras struggle to get it right which is where you need to take control yourself. A DSLR won't give you any more control per se in this regard, but you will likely end up with better image quality as sensor size is a limiting factor in low light scenarios. Your current bridge camera has a much much smaller sensor than DSLR and will not perform well in low light. Even if you get the exposure right it will most likely be extremely noisy (grainy). As mentioned above, lenses with wider apertures also help as they let more light in.

As for recommending a camera this will depend on budget, what you want to shoot with it and how far you want to advance.

My amateur opinion...

If you wanted to get a DSLR then I would look around and see if anyone is doing a deal on a basic camera. Look online/magazines for a list of some entry level cameras and will give you some info on what they offer.

I also find the magazines help with explaining how adjusting your settings can help improve the image, therefore you might find you get better picture following these tips. I have found this has helped me. :).

Another thing to remember is that some venues don't allow DSLRs into the shows.

The world of cameras is quite categorised these days:

1. DSLR system - large full format or APS-C sensors, which makes their lenses comparatively large and expensive, but you get the highest quality (usually...)
2. Mirrorless system - more and more popular; tend to use APS-C or 4/3 sensors - everything, from sensor to lenses, can afford to be smaller as there is no mirror to increase lens-to-sensor distance. Excellent quality.
3. Enthusiast cameras - tend to have fixed lenses, either prime (Fuji X100) or zoom (Sony RX100.. Panasonic LX100) - use large or medium sensors, from FF down to 1". More limited as to reach but excellent quality.
4. Bridge cameras, usually superzooms - long range from a single fixed lens, and apart from the large Panasonic FZ1000, tend to have small sensors or the camera and lens would be huge. Good quality.
5. Phone cameras - bottom of the quality and feature-set market, but look at the pictures taken on the iPhone 6 to see just how amazingly improved the phone camera now is; has wiped out the compact camera market.

So it depends what you want from your camera. If you intend to grow into a full system or even become a pro, you need a DSLR or mirrorless ILC. If you rarely need a long telephoto e.g. for wildlife, then go for an enthusiast compact, or if you do need the reach, go for a bridge superzoom (the FZ1000 is the nearest to "best of all worlds", but nevertheless still has limitations.) What do you need your new camera for, mainly?

I currently have a Nikon P520

worth getting a DLSR,

Hi Carley and welcome to TP.

Hope you enjoy yourself here...

As you already have a Nikon point and shoot, obviously Nikon would be your first choice, but my advice would be to also try a few different makes / models, just to make sure re which menu system you prefer, which buttons feels the best / in most ergonomically place for you and also, most importantly, which feels best in your hand.

Do you have any friends that have DSLR - could you possible have a play / go with them ?

A lot of the bodies available now are will perform to a similar degree and it is down to personal choice what you like - don't forget, what one person likes, another may not.

Another thing to remember, with Canon / Nikon bodies if you want IS (Image Stabilisation) you need to buy it in the lens, where as with Sony for example, it's in the body of the camera, so all of it's lenses benefit from IS...

Good luck with your search and new toy when you get...:D

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum and I am hoping some of you lovely people might be able to help me / offer some advise.

I love taking pics, I seem to have the eye for it but lack knowledge massively on camera functions e.g ISO, light settings etc.

If it's worth getting a DLSR, are there any Nikon ones you would recommend to a newbie?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help / advise :)

OK, quick check of the specs and the P530 has a good max shutter speed of 1/4000th so for the fast stuff you are well catered for in that regard, but I expect you need to learn how to use it while balancing the other elements of the shot. The forum can help you with that.

Gigs/shows are a different kettle of fish I'm afraid and while you would be able to get some shots, you really are fighting a constant battle with your equipment when using a bridge camera. The lens doesn't let much light in, which means a correctly exposed image needs a higher ISO, making it very noisy. Plus the autofocus will struggle a lot. But, one thing that is very important, unless you are permitted to take photos then you will not be able to use a DSLR at medium/large/arena gigs and shows.

Back