Thinking about converting to Macs

I did take some images of it when it arrived as I was seriously impressed with the packaging and everything ... I'll dig them out ... :D

Mine is the 80gig 'standard' - loads more dosh for a lot less storage on the SSD and that worried me ... :shrug:

FW = FireWire ... :bonk: ... D'oh !!!

:p

I did take some images of it when it arrived as I was seriously impressed with the packaging and everything ... I'll dig them out ... :D

Mine is the 80gig 'standard' - loads more dosh for a lot less storage on the SSD and that worried me ... :shrug:

FW = FireWire ... :bonk: ... D'oh !!!

:p

Thanks.

The SSD is, for me, a bit of a fashion statement. SSDs are a little too new just yet and for that reason just too expensive for what you get. It costs nearly £1000 more and you get no improvement in power consumption, virtually no improvement in normal use. The access time is nearly zero but the transfer rate is less. This means that when loading lots of small files the SSD is quicker but for large files the HD wins. As they are so close I think it would be HD for me too and the rest on another lens!

I think by the time I get my next laptop (after the macbook pro) SSDs will have improved in capacity, power consumption and transfer rate plus they will have reduced in price dramatically.

Most SSDs have a PATA to SATA bridge chip which increases the power consumption and slows it down. Intel are due to release one which is SATA in nature and runs at a lower voltage and power consumption plus without a bridge should be quicker too.

I'm going to get a Mac Pro when I've saved a little more money and can persuade myself to spend the money, a few more questions..

Apple waffle on about the memory in the Mac Pro
Please note: Apple created a more robust thermal specification for the Mac Pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many other FB-DIMMs. These FB-DIMMs require less airflow to stay cool and allow the internal fans to spin at slower speeds, improving system acoustics. FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat.

Can I just buy from Crucial to upgrade the memory.

On a software note how hard would it be to move a Lightroom catalogue from windows to Mac. I don't really want to do all the keywording again.

I will have more question as I get closed to press in the button. ;)

When I went to get my new Macbook the guy told me that Crucial was the best place to get RAM for a Mac (he admitted it was a lot cheaper than getting it from Apple).

Can I just buy from Crucial to upgrade the memory.

On a software note how hard would it be to move a Lightroom catalogue from windows to Mac. I don't really want to do all the keywording again.

Moving Lightroom from a pc to a mac is easy. You need to move the root folder [including all subfolders] which contains your images on the pc over onto the mac, copy the Lightroom pc catalogue from pc to mac. Then just double click on the catalogue on the mac, which will open that catalogue on the mac. The images will show in the library module with a question mark in the RH corner, Click on the question mark and locate the image in the image folder you moved over and that will link the thumbnail image in Lightroom to the actual image.

THere is no need to copy over all the image previews over from the pc as Lightroom will re-create them on the mac.

It would be advisable to copy any pre-sets modules over from the pc to the mac as well.

You can use Crucial or Kingston memory on the mac - just make sure you get the same speed modules as fitted to the make.

I made the move from pc to imac to about 6 months ago - an excellent decision - and to a macbook pro about 2 months ago.

Tom

I've put 4gigs of Crucial ram in my MBP. Runs fine.. although the screen has started flickering now and then - its non ram related though.
I'm thinking of updating my MB from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM. Is it worth it? Did you notice a big bump in speed? Thanks!

I'm thinking of updating my MB from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM. Is it worth it? Did you notice a big bump in speed? Thanks!

Overall, I did. It seams more snapper and coverflow runs alot more smoother.

One thing to point out though is that all adobe programs (on macs) are 32bit which means they can only access 3gb of ram which is a shame. I read somewhere that adobe are only going to 64bit in CS5. I might be wrong though.

crucial and Kingston are both fine. For a macbook you can get away with crucial value ram but always use the recommended modules for pros

You'll be fine swapping out the harddisk on a MB/MBP they are pretty simple and there is a lot of tutorials online.

I once swapped the HD out on an eMac, that was a mission, it seemed like the whole machine was built around the HD, but got there in the end!

I'd doubt it, but then you could always keep your old disk and swap it back in...

i've only gone and done it brought a powermac last night great
only programe i wish was on a mac is the proshow gold but i'm sure there is something out there!!

Back