Thinking of 5D4 from 5D3 - Is it a no brainer?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, I know the 5D4 has been around for a good while now but I'm just starting to investigate the pros and cons of moving from my pair of 5D3s.

Hoping that some ood you have been using them for a long time and the honeymoon period is over so you can give some tearful world thoughts and opinions.

99% weddings and environmental portraits.

It is better in every way but most of the advancement are incremental and actual photos result would be hard press to tell the difference.

Pros

High pixel = high resolution = sharper images
More focus points
GPS for all your shots tracking
Better DR
Better Low noise
Dual Pixel AF is something else. More accurate than the optical mirror box AF
Amazing touch screen, it's as good as an iPhone. The touch to focus is amazing

Con

Battery don't last as long
Expensive
The D850 is better :p

The questions are:
Is it a step change enough to warrant a move, i.e. it has features that you desire or feel could assit your image making
Your old kit is worn, so a change is on the cards

I suggest you try one, a 5D4 that is. Some good pros already mentioned here. As for battery life I use a grip with mine and have done multiple shoots before having to re charge and I am a maniac for taking a lot of shots on a shoot.
In the real world it'll get you great shots that would have been poor in adverse conditions and allow you to shoot using the increase in spec over what you have to get the job done. Don't take it from me, try one.
I'd settle for just the great ISO performance at high settings and how much better some lenses AF with this body, however there is more on offer and one needs to shoot with one to appreciate it.
Yes, there are better bodies out there but if like me you're heavily invested in Canon glass and generally like using the Canon bodies as I do, try and you'll likely buy it.

It's an excellent camera and the real world differences are greater than the spec suggest on paper. In particular noise (or lack of) at high ISO and when lifting shadows (in post processing) but touch screen has also been a revelation, I shoot landscpaes and the touch screen AF in live view is excellent.

It also has more F8 af points than the mk3
Matt

Unless your current kit is shagged, how is upgrading going to earn you more money/ increase your ROI?

What I will say is the longer you hang onto your 5DIIIs the more the value will drop as with most of our cameras and gear.
By the same token the MK4 will probably drop in price sadly not by the same rate your 3s will:(
I still have 1d 1DH 1DX to name but 3 and they are pretty worthless now as is my D3 & Canon 5Dc.
If they have paid for themselves it just might be the right time to trade up:)
Only something you can decide butBlack Friday deals are coming up very soon (y)

G.A.S.

Im sorry but the 850 makes the 5d mkiv not worth the money

It does, but it also make no sense to sell eight L glass to swap body and I will lose built in Wireless Flashes set up that I rely on at every job, lose the awesome 35L lens, lose the 85/1.2. Nikon do not make anything comparable so you win some, you lose some.

People like me are pretty much stuck, unless you want to take a hit on thousands of pounds worth of losses to swap and then lose a lot of other gear you very well would miss.

I agree I would not sell my canon to buy a nikon. What im saying is the 5d4 should have a price reduction to bring it down lower than a far better camera

Canon sees no reason to, as much as they are a competitor, how many people jumping into a DSLR at the £3500 price level? Those are the kind of sales they are losing, they are not losing sales with professionals or anyone with thousands worth of lenses.

I agree I would not sell my canon to buy a nikon. What im saying is the 5d4 should have a price reduction to bring it down lower than a far better camera

That's the hobbiest's approach. We're talking about business equipment here.

I see plenty of people making money using Canons.

So if he sold all his gear to buy a D850 he'd earn more money?

Pretty stupid comment really.
That's a pretty rude comment and besides making me yet again wonder why I come to this site also makes me wonder how much more money someone would make by switching from a 5D3 to a 5D4.

If the cost of betting the 5D4 is high for you then I'd seriously recommend that you rent the camera rather than jumping in then finding that you don't need it.

Sadly, a minority of people think that being “blunt” or rude is perfectly fine on line. However, the good news is that there are more people who are polite on here than there aren’t. I have switched from the 5D3 to the 5D4. I don’t make money from photography. I do like certain features and the additional pixies do what you would expect. I guess you have to balance up the depreciating assets you have with the specs described in posts above. I keep the bump switched off and haven’t noticed any issues with the battery but I do have a grip. I took it to Norway was very pleased with the in flight eagle images ... not the same speed as the 1DX2 but a lovely wee beastie, nevertheless.

Agreed, poor choice of words on my part.

Apologies.

I wouldn't have apologised. I thought yours was a perfectly valid comment, no more 'rude' than that which you were remarking on.

Third parties find it far too easy to take offence.

I wouldn't have apologised. I thought yours was a perfectly valid comment, no more 'rude' than that which you were remarking on.

Third parties find it far too easy to take offence.

I didn't think it was that bad to be honest. I don't go out of my way to cause offense here unlike some.

But I can't be arsed with the sensitive types Mark.

What I was saying is the 5dMkiv is a lesser camera compared to the D850. So it should be a lesser price and not by just a couple of 100 notes.
It should be £400/500 less than the D850

What I was saying is the 5dMkiv is a lesser camera compared to the D850. So it should be a lesser price and not by just a couple of 100 notes.
It should be £400/500 less than the D850

The 5D4 came out a year ago so it's not really fair to compare unless canon can tell in the future if the spec of the D850 and it's release price a year ahead. If canon don't see sales drop then it makes zero business sense to lower the price just because we on the internet do spec comparison.

This is more about Nikon wanting to be more competitive than Canon trying to compete. One company posted extraordinary loss in their financial year, one didn't.

Last edited:
What a very odd thing to say in a Canon thread. Perhaps it is, as Carl points out, just a way to start an argument. Otherwise, it is just a rude interruption into a conversation. If a person has developed a Canon system, it really is very pointless saying something derogatory about it whilst appearing to praise another system. I paraphrase something from one of my parents: if you can’t say something positive and relevant, don’t say anything at all. Many different camera systems exist and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I suspect it's more that the poor old love can't afford a 5DIV yet and thinks it should be cheaper!

I've £15k invested in lenses and other bodies, between me and my son. Manufactures bodies leap frog each other all the time and minor points better in some aspects don't improve the creative process, only rarely in extreme circumstances help you get the image

You misunderstand the market in that they arepriced at where people will buy them. Provide a return on the r&d and design process to bring the product to market.

The market keeps telling Canon it should keep pushing out incremental upgrades.

Back