Thinking of doing a budget build PC - thoughts on Intel G4560 CPU

S

stupar

I currently have an HP laptop running an AMD A10 4655m APU which is 2ghz dual core 4 thread and 16GB RAM.
I fancy replacing the laptop with a small desktop build using the new Intel G4560 CPU which reviews suggest is good bang for buck.

Anyone on here got first hand experience of said CPU and if so whaty are your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the first dual core pentium to have hyper threading so in effect it's a desktop 'i3' which will be noticeably quicker than most laptop cpus.

It's the first dual core pentium to have hyper threading so in effect it's a desktop 'i3' which will be noticeably quicker than most laptop cpus.

Yeah that was my thinking too.
Idont need the oomph of an i5 or i7 and im not a huge fan of AMD chips even though im using one at present.
My thinking is this Intel chip would allow for a nice budget build that will do everytging our laptop does at present and a little more.

If your just after an everyday use pc then its a good cpu.

ive recently built a 'budget' system for the in-laws based on the i3 7100. The G4560 lags behind that by such a small margin and is nearly half the price so i would say go for it.

The 7100 system flies for everyday tasks. Just make sure you stick an ssd in there to run the os from as thats where youll notice the biggest performance improvement.

For what use?

Light photoshop work and i mean light as in editing the odd image from my panny LX3.

The wife using her Silhoutte vinyl cutting design software

Me streaming content through the house

We got the laptop as we lost my desktop workspace when our youngest resided beside us in our room. She has now moved into her own room so would like to get my space back including desktop pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your just after an everyday use pc then its a good cpu.

ive recently built a 'budget' system for the in-laws based on the i3 7100. The G4560 lags behind that by such a small margin and is nearly half the price so i would say go for it.

The 7100 system flies for everyday tasks. Just make sure you stick an ssd in there to run the os from as thats where youll notice the biggest performance improvement.
Yeah defo pop in an SSD. I rarely see the point these days in mechanical HD's more so when SSD's are so cheap.

Light photoshop work and i mean light as in editing the odd image from my panny LX3.

The wife using her Silhoutte vinyl cutting design software

Me streaming content through the house

We got the laptop as we lost my desktop workspace when our youngest resided beside us in our room. She has now moved into her own room so would like to get my space back including desktop pc.
What's your budget?

Don't get me wrong the chip isn't bad but it still benches slower than a 3rd generation i3. Might be a better option for the cash.

What's your budget?

Don't get me wrong the chip isn't bad but it still benches slower than a 3rd generation i3. Might be a better option for the cash.
Budget is probably in the £400 to 450 mark

Which I3 is that?

from cpu becnhmarks
G4560: 5045, £56
I3 6100: 5475, £108
I3 7100: 5962, £108
Im curious too as the Pentium G4560 benches higher than an i3 3250 which i presume is the highest spec 3rd gen i3 chip
i3
Screenshot_2017-04-29-16-07-47.png
G4460
Screenshot_2017-04-29-16-06-43.png

The i3 chip shown in your picture is not the latest i3, in fact it is a very old one from 2013 as indicated in your picture.

The i3 chip shown in your picture is not the latest i3, in fact it is a very old one from 2013 as indicated in your picture.
Yeah thats because Neil stated in his post that a 3rd gen i3 benches higher than the G4560 hence my image

That pentium is perfect for said applicatons.

Don't forget most people run Apple Macs or windows laptops on low powered dual core i7's and they think they are the mutts nuts. A proper desktop part will be superior.

That pentium is perfect for said applicatons.

Don't forget most people run Apple Macs or windows laptops on low powered dual core i7's and they think they are the mutts nuts. A proper desktop part will be superior.
It certainly cant be any worse than what i have at the moment. On benchmarks alone my AMD A10 only pops in at 2705.

Not withstanding thst though i thought it would be a good bang for buck route into a Kaby Lake build.

Back