Thinking of getting a Wacom style drawing tablet

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I'm a pretty good lightroom user, insofar as i know most of the ins and outs. I've just subscribed to adobe CC and have started getting to grips with photoshop (well a tiny bit). The vast majority of tutorial vids etc seem to suggest a wacom tablet. I'd be prepared to invest a bit in one...not the most expensive one, but also not the cheapest i suppose.

Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks kindly

I'm a graphic designer and use one day in day out. Its much easier to use if you do things like layer masks which can require painting with brushes, or use the clone stamp tool a lot. If you're just going to change some sliders like exposure then there's not really much point.

thanks - i'm thinking it will come in handy for cloning out / spot healing etc. Any thoughts on a good one to get though? there seem to be a lot to choose from!

See if you can pick up a used intuos pro small.

That is what I have but not used it much.

Where in NW1 are you, I am in NW9 and if you want to try one before you buy give me a shout.

I've got a Huion H610PRO Pen tablet.
I was thinking like you, but didn't want to commit to a big expense, just in case it didn't suit. Nothing wrong with the tablet; I bought it because a mate of mine has one. I saw him using his and he was whizzing through things. I never picked it up. My fault!
It didn't. Doesn't suit my style at all. It's sat here doing nothing. Start a wanted thread and you can have it. If you don't get on with the system you won't have lost a fortune

I have tried twice to like a tablet. I just cannot get to grips with it. I find the stylus skips across the surface making control difficult. I have bought a gaming mouse and using it on the lowest dpi I find selections much easier.

thanks - i'm thinking it will come in handy for cloning out / spot healing etc. Any thoughts on a good one to get though? there seem to be a lot to choose from!

I'm not sure tbh as I use a large Intuos 4 pro large since this is my job. I've always used wacoms and been happy but I can't really give you more advice than that.

As for it being good for cloning etc, it definitely is. There's no question that people find tablets hard to get used to (as has been said here by a few people) but stick with it and it's definitely much easier when you're doing thing requiring brush strokes (imo)

I have tried twice to like a tablet. I just cannot get to grips with it. I find the stylus skips across the surface making control difficult. I have bought a gaming mouse and using it on the lowest dpi I find selections much easier.

Do you not want the highest DPI but with the sensitivity turned right down, that's what makes sense in my head..?

It is second nature now so you may be right. The setting I put it on gives me very slow and precise movement on screen.

My Mrs bought me a CTL 460 @ xmas. As a complete idiot on computers I've found it very easy to use, and a lot easier when using a laptop. Don't know the cost, but I'm hoping it wasn't too expensive.

I have been using a Wacom Bamboo for about 5 years and found them utterly reliable. I currently use a Bamboo 1 6x9" tablet. I absolutely could not do without it.

I use a Wacom Bamboo to draw comics occasionally (although I'm by no means any good - it's just for a laugh, for my blog). I'd draw them in Photoshop and I find that once I'm done drawing and I need to do other functions in Photoshop, like laying out the comics and doing other digital manipulation on images for the same blog, the stylus starts feeling very annoying and gives my hand cramps, so I'd always switch back to mouse.

I tried a couple of times to replace the mouse completely with the wacom so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth all the time, but I could never get used to it, finding the mouse so much easier to use on most functions, and also not giving me cramps.

But that is just me. I guess everyone is different and maybe more practice would improve the experience, I dunno.

I think very few people replace the mouse completely with a tablet and pen. As a mouse will stay put and not activate until clicked. The tablet pen needs to be held off the surface, as it usually will click on contact.

There used to be tablet mice.

Last edited:
+1 on the HUION, go for the A4 sized, is nice and accurate, works with multiple displays too (or one of the multiple displays, all configurable). Saved a fortune compared to the wacom one (y)

I was thinking like you, but didn't want to commit to a big expense, just in case it didn't suit. Nothing wrong with the tablet; I bought it because a mate of mine has one. I saw him using his and he was whizzing through things. I never picked it up. My fault!
It didn't. Doesn't suit my style at all. It's sat here doing nothing. Start a wanted thread and you can have it. If you don't get on with the system you won't have lost a fortune

Tried one of these and the software was pants with my Mac (did work on Windows but they had changed the interface and was awful)

Bit the bullet and went for the medium intuos which is just fantastic. I love the fact you can assign the buttons for various things, plus you can change the size and hardness of the brush by holding down alt and swiping left/right or up/down. So easy to use it's a no brainer.

I use a Wacom Bamboo to draw comics occasionally (although I'm by no means any good - it's just for a laugh, for my blog). I'd draw them in Photoshop and I find that once I'm done drawing and I need to do other functions in Photoshop, like laying out the comics and doing other digital manipulation on images for the same blog, the stylus starts feeling very annoying and gives my hand cramps, so I'd always switch back to mouse.

I tried a couple of times to replace the mouse completely with the wacom so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth all the time, but I could never get used to it, finding the mouse so much easier to use on most functions, and also not giving me cramps.

But that is just me. I guess everyone is different and maybe more practice would improve the experience, I dunno.

Your comics are good! When I said the other day about your blog looking well designed, the comics are part of the 'well designed'! Give yourself more credit :)

I bought a intuos small tablet a while back and most of my editing in Lightroom is done with it. The only times I use the mouse are when importing and exporting, editing is always done with the tablet. I find itits good for adjusting sliders and excellent for adding brush adjustments.

+1 on the HUION, go for the A4 sized, is nice and accurate, works with multiple displays too (or one of the multiple displays, all configurable). Saved a fortune compared to the wacom one (y)
Mines the A4 size but OP has gone very quiet. Anyone else want to start a wanted thread?

Your comics are good! When I said the other day about your blog looking well designed, the comics are part of the 'well designed'! Give yourself more credit :)
Aww, thanks. That's very kind of you. :oops: :$ :p

My neice is a graphics designer and swears by her Wacom tablet. I'm toying with the idea too, but haven't got one yet.

The diver of my Wacom tablet is useless. I'll not get another Wacom at that price.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm a pretty good lightroom user, insofar as i know most of the ins and outs. I've just subscribed to adobe CC and have started getting to grips with photoshop (well a tiny bit). The vast majority of tutorial vids etc seem to suggest a wacom tablet. I'd be prepared to invest a bit in one...not the most expensive one, but also not the cheapest i suppose.

Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks kindly

The keyboard, the mouse, the graphic tablet, the trackball, the joystick, they all are just pieces of tools, each have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is how you use them that matters the most.

I recently bought myself a Wacom tablet and find it useful, bearing in mind that I only just started a week ago, it takes some getting used to as I have been using a mouse for 20 years.

If you do switch to a tablet, you must accept that just because at first you are having a hard time, it is not the tablet's fault, it is you who need to train yourself to adjust to using a tablet which works differently from a mouse.

just because the "vast majority" of the videos suggest a tablet, it do not mean you're supposed to get one. Those people in the videos may have had their tablets for years, and they adjusted to using them long ago, so they're happy with those.

Therefore you need to consider this: Do you want to prefer to use a pen rather than a mouse? If so, then have a go with a tablet, but when you do, you'll get confused because you're likely to have a habit of using a mouse, so you should spent some time training yourself to get used to using a tablet.

I would recommend a tablet, but not which brand because everyone is entitled to chose which brand and model is best for them, it's their money, but I would recommend a tablet if you want to.

I have a small sized tablet where the whole device has A5 dimensions. This size has the benefit that the tablet can easily be put aside when not in use. The operation and sensitivity of the pen is good and is not adversely affected by that size.

i may bear that in mind. ;)

still toying with the idea, but might end up waiting until i move in the summer. Should probably be putting spending on hold for now as i'm planning some renovations on my flat...

too many temptations out there! Not helped by reading lots of glowing reviews...hmm

I fancied trying one, so I bought the Wacom Bamboo touch.
IIRC it only cost £40, and it's very good. I thought for that money, if I don't like it, I'll sell it on, and nothing lost really.
I have no experience of any other tablet though, so my opinion might not count for much !!
I still use it, albeit only occasionally, but when using PS, and using brushes etc it really makes life easier!
I think it's one of those things that doesn't suit everyone, and you won't know until you have a go with one.

Back