Thinking of going to the Faroes. Anyone have experience of Northern Workshops?

No but I’m off there in June for week (independently rather than a workshop) so I’ll watch this thread with interest.

No but I’m off there in June for week (independently rather than a workshop) so I’ll watch this thread with interest.

After going to Iceland independently this year, I thought of doing the Faroes independently too, but my thinking is I might learn something and also perhaps make better use of the time going with someone with better Faroes knowledge than me.

The Faroes is pretty compact so it’s easy to go on your own. Plenty of info online about places to go. I’ve never come across Northern Workshops so can’t add much on that specific topic I’m afraid.

Yep - that’s the way to do it. Book a cheap hire car in advance from a local company and you’re sorted.

Yes to a raincoat, waterproof trousers, shoes, windbreak, concrete bunker... :)

Just spend a couple of days making a location list through flickr, 500px and various other portfolios, workout sunrise and sunset positions and you will be fine. For the difference you may as well spend there twice as long.

Yep - that’s the way to do it. Book a cheap hire car in advance from a local company and you’re sorted.

Yes to a raincoat, waterproof trousers, shoes, windbreak, concrete bunker... :)

Just spend a couple of days making a location list through flickr, 500px and various other portfolios, workout sunrise and sunset positions and you will be fine. For the difference you may as well spend there twice as long.

Yep I think you both make valid points. My only concern would be, as a solo traveller, I may be limited to where I should/could hike and hence be limited with what I would be able to shoot

Yep I think you both make valid points. My only concern would be, as a solo traveller, I may be limited to where I should/could hike and hence be limited with what I would be able to shoot

Why would that be? If anything I would not fancy being held back by someone too scared of everything (There is always at least one!)

Why would that be? If anything I would not fancy being held back by someone too scared of everything (There is always at least one!)
I also think you lose the magic and enjoyment going in a group - it's a desolate place and to get into the mood probably means its better going alone.

I'm conscious of walking in the mountains alone, especially as at 62, I'm an old fart. I don't wan't to be "that guy" that gets hauled off the mountain looking like a fish finger.

You make a valid point. As more than one local Faroese pointed out to me, they regularly have tourists go missing, never to be seen again. Usually it is the result of miscalculating the steepness of a hillside, and their hillsides are very steep, and they usually end in cliffs a couple of hundred meters high. If you slip over and slide on wet grass you ain’t coming back.

However, there are many many places you can go that are spectacular, and an easy stroll from a car parking spot, and you sound sensible enough to avoid being silly. So I’m sure you’ll be absolutely fine.

Last edited:
Back