Thinking the unthinkable - letting go of my dSLR

Edit My Images
No
A while back I picked up a Fujifilm X-Pro1, thinking it would be interesting to try out with some elderly Leica lenses. The Leica lenses phase didn't last, but I found the Fuji camera with its own lens utterly compelling - it goes everywhere with me; while the Nikon D7100 stays at home and minds the cat. I am slowly beginning to think about getting rid of the Nikon and its two AF-S lenses and focusing on the Fuji - perhaps adding an XT-1 and the 16mm f/1.4. I'm sure I like the pictures better out of the Fuji, even if, on paper, the Nikon looks better specified.

So what are the downsides? How does Fuji equipment measure up to Nikon for longevity and reliability? There's a smaller selection of lenses for the Fuji, and they seem more expensive, but I don't see me owning more than two or three primes. And I can still use my old AI/AIS lenses with an adapter, and get great results.

So does anyone want to talk me off this cliff edge, or does the maturity of the CSC make this leap a rational choice? I'm a snap-shooting amateur, so professional reputations and businesses aren't at stake.

Thanks for reading,
Neil

I had a similar dilemma with my Canon gear.
I went for a fiji xt-1 mainly for reasons of weight,and I dont regret it for a minute.
I kept my 5dmk2 and TS-E lens thinking I would use it but it really is gathering dust but as I don't need the cash I will probably keep it.
Personally I would go for it,I take my camera with me now where before I left it home as it was too cumbersome.

Switched from a D800E to the XT-1, and never regretted it. I have the xpro1 also, which I won on Darren Brown's youtube channel, sweet - and feel I could shoot any occasion comfortably with these cameras. The lenses are no more expensive than Nikon's equivilants. The 16mm 1.4 you are after is £730 on amazon for example, meanwhile Nikon's old 14mm 2.8 is just shy of £1500. I know which I'd much prefer! I don't get why people still say Fuji lenses are expensive.

I have the 35mm 1.4, and love it. It goes for £480 new. Try getting a Nikon 35 1.4 for anything close to that

Anyway, you have nothing to lose. The XT-1 is more than a match for the D7100, it's better built and has a better control layout IMO. It's a great camera for making use of old manual lenses too, with focus check and peaking making it a cinch. I have a bunch of old MF lenses that I use on the XT-1, it was one of the reasons I opted for fuji. The pro1 isn't as hot for manual focusing, but it's not bad either.

There are several in the X-T1/2 thread who have made the same journey.
I too bought a T1 as a lighter, smaller go anywhere camera. Before long I was using it for all my work. Prime lenses followed.
Then I realised that I was never using the Canon gear so I sold it. Now I'm on the T2.
Can't see me going back to DSLR.

I still run a Nikon system alongside the Fujis I have but it's an FF Nikon system which opens up wider angles than are available with native Fuji lenses. However, as I said on another thread, if I had to choose one system, it would be the Fuji kit that stayed with me.

I like bits of both so I'm not much help. List what I prefer on each incase interested tho :

DSLR - AF, viewfinder, controls in general, menu, battery life, possibly tougher just by looking and feeling them

Mirrorless ( owned X100 and X-T1 ) - live exposure preview ( X-T1 ), light, small, more stealthy / quiet, look very good / classic look is desirable

Consider saving up for a little longer and going for an X-T2 rather than a 1. I would say that it addresses every point that you give as a reason for sticking with the D7100, with only the viewfinder being (possibly) better in the DSLR, purely for the reduced blackout time when the shutter's released. In real life, I've never found 500 shots per battery a handicap - that's several days shooting for me!

I shot over 1300 jpegs on one battery. First day using the new T2. Was at Oulton Park so was using motor drive but not using the grip. Battery still wasn't flat.

I shot over 1300 jpegs on one battery. First day using the new T2. Was at Oulton Park so was using motor drive but not using the grip. Battery still wasn't flat.

I was stood next to @mickledore (as we are often joined at the hip!!!, he's always just where I want to be to take photos!!) and managed 800+ RAW+JPG before my battery expired

I have Canon FF DSLRs, an Olympus CSC and a Fuji. I use them for different things and I like them all. So, if you don't need the money, perhaps see if you keep them going. Give it a few months and see what happens, perhaps.

If the limitations haven't occurred to you, they're unimportant.

Cameras are toys / tools, they do a job, or they don't. They're fun to use, or they're not.

So if your toys/tools are a pleasure to use and/or doing the job that's all that matters.

I was stood next to @mickledore (as we are often joined at the hip!!!, he's always just where I want to be to take photos!!) and managed 800+ RAW+JPG before my battery expired
Thank you sir @Mr Perceptive
Battery life on the Fuji is somewhat dependant on the various viewfinder settings available. Use the rear screen and the eye sensor and you'll get 300 shots or so. Switch off the rear screen totally and just rely on the info shown on the EVF and your shout count soars.

Fuji cameras and lenses punch much above their weight in every class.
I know I am never likely to go back. Though my old Canon 40d and lenses are hidden away in the spare room absolutely untouched for several years now.Their weight alone does nothing for my spondylitis. And now the 40D is long outdated but as good as it ever was, though the lenses and flashes have a value.

If I didnt do paid work I would seriously consider ditching Nikon and going XT2. Lenses are excellent and the images produced have a great look, it all depends what you shoot.

If I didnt do paid work I would seriously consider ditching Nikon and going XT2. Lenses are excellent and the images produced have a great look, it all depends what you shoot.

Hi Simon
what is the advantage of the Nikon for paid work? Reliability? Or is it just that the customer expects something that "looks the part"?
Thanks,
Neil

Hi Simon
what is the advantage of the Nikon for paid work? Reliability? Or is it just that the customer expects something that "looks the part"?
Thanks,
Neil

Mainly flash for me - one area Fuji are way behind on IMO. Personally I like FF in terms of noise/ISO and while AF is improving I don't think the speed is up to DSLR standards. Everything just seems speedier and more responsive.

Mainly flash for me - one area Fuji are way behind on IMO. Personally I like FF in terms of noise/ISO and while AF is improving I don't think the speed is up to DSLR standards. Everything just seems speedier and more responsive.
Thanks - that's interesting. Flash is something I almost never use, so the comparative superiority of the Nikon on that score never even occurred to me..

Thanks very much for your inputs, guys. I'm quite sure I want the Fuji 16mm f/1.4 lens; the only real issue is springing the extra cash for an XT2 in preference to an XT1.

Thanks - that's interesting. Flash is something I almost never use, so the comparative superiority of the Nikon on that score never even occurred to me..
Now that the Goddox latest units are fully compatible with Fuji the flash problem has been addressed... see. http://flashhavoc.com/godox-tt685f-speedlight-released/.
However it seems few people up to now have needed these advanced features amongst the Fuji brethren. But it is nice to know that they are available.

If flash is not important then it does even itself out. I also take aircraft pics so options are better for me on Nikon, used to use a 300mm f4 now a 150-600, if I was just using it as a 'family camera' then it would be a close decision.

Thanks very much for your inputs, guys. I'm quite sure I want the Fuji 16mm f/1.4 lens; the only real issue is springing the extra cash for an XT2 in preference to an XT1.

Yes we have all been there. I ended up with the X-T1 because I think they are a fantastic price now at £400 for mint examples I know of

Yes we have all been there. I ended up with the X-T1 because I think they are a fantastic price now at £400 for mint examples I know of
Can you point me in the direction of one?
Thanks!

Haven't used a DSLR in years. Originally Fuji, now Leica. My kids 20 and 17 have xpro-1 and x-t1. The 35/1.4 and 18-55 are stunners. Vintage Leica on the pro-1 also works well.

You could also use some of the good Voightlanders, 15/f2.8 III, 35/f2.5 and 75/f1.8.

Last edited:
I switched from nikon D3 and D700 to Fuji XT1 and XE2s. No regret at all. I can take my camera nd enjoy shooting on my holiday with the Fuji. Impossible to take DSLR if I still have one, due to weight and size.

MFT and Sony A7 for me.

A Panasonic RF style camera fitted with a compact prime or one of the prime sized kit zooms is winter coat pocketable or will fit in whatever bag you're carrying. The same camera with the excellent 12-35mm f2.8 only takes up a tiny bit more room and the Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 give full frame quality and again will fit in whatever bag you're carrying or maybe a winter coat pocket.

MFT and Sony A7 for me.

A Panasonic RF style camera fitted with a compact prime or one of the prime sized kit zooms is winter coat pocketable or will fit in whatever bag you're carrying. The same camera with the excellent 12-35mm f2.8 only takes up a tiny bit more room and the Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 give full frame quality and again will fit in whatever bag you're carrying or maybe a winter coat pocket.

Or you could go down the route of a smaller pocketable camera like the Sony RX100 series and the Sony A7? :D

I have the Panasonic TZ100 and it has the advantage of a much longer zoom than the RX100 but the Sony although having a much shorter lens does has a faster aperture. One thing that did put me off the Sony is the pop up evf as I'd rather have one which was ready to use rather than have to pop it up and down when getting it out or putting it away.

Whatever 1" we're talking about I do think that they'll be a big step up from the very small sensor compacts. I liked my Panasonic LX2 at base ISO but the LX5 I replaced it with seemed to take a step too far into mushy file territory and IMO was poor and the LF1 I replaced that with although sharing the same sensor as the well reviewed LX7 seemed yet another step back to me. These cameras were IMO ok in good light for whole images but anything else and they needed more care and attention and processing skill than I could give. 1" is a definite step up from these cameras IMO.

Last edited:
Back