This old house

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken on Fathers day, i noticed this building after having taken a landscape shot some weeks ago and just had to get closer to it.

Ken.

great efforts ken, i think you really found yourself m8!!

I really like the first too - lovely colours. I also like the third, but would prefer the bit of grass-thingy in the foreground to be a tiny bit more to the right, so there is a gap between that and the background. Sorry if i'm being picky again!

Thanks again for the comments so far
feenster said:
I also like the third, but would prefer the bit of grass-thingy in the foreground to be a tiny bit more to the right, so there is a gap between that and the background. Sorry if i'm being picky again!
An error in judgement on my part....I tried loads of different positions to photograph the building and filled 2 memory cards in doing so, rocks and boulders, thistles and grass as forground but thought this the best as the grass has half of the seed head missing and the roof is half missing.
Adrian said:
I really like the first but as a big mono fan, wonder what it would look like with no colour and loads of contrast?
I really like mono myself and love some of the stuff you have done but being honest i've never been happy with anything i convert to grey scale. On top of that the picture was specifically taken for the red roof which caught my eye when i took a landscape shot many weeks ago and as i've said i just had to go back and get up close.

This building stands in a local farmers field which is only 5 mins away from me and even though it is so close i spent from early morning until mid afternoon there. The time was well spent as i got talking to the farmer who told me some of the buildings history and also invited me to walk round any of his 3 farms and land anytime, he even sugested dates that i could photograph him sheep sheering and such.
The building is about 150 years old and has been empty since about the 1940's. The coragated roof was added sometime later to enable dry storage and has lasted well considering how exposed the building is. Sadly it now stands empty which is a shame as there are magnificent views on all sides and small orchid to the rear.
When i get time i'll try and do a mono convertion and see if there are anymore shots worthy of uploading.
Many thanks.
Ken.

I think the composition in the first shot is just lovely. The way the building and the clouds appear to be pulling to the same perspective point is wonderful. I would personally like to see the colour balance tweaked away from the strong yellow but that's just my preference. Also, a little grain might add to the feel of the place....... but again just my 2p's worth.

Great shot, the first one..

Is it just my monitor at work or do they look more like paintings than photos?

What processing have you applied?

dazzajl said:
I think the composition in the first shot is just lovely. The way the building and the clouds appear to be pulling to the same perspective point is wonderful. I would personally like to see the colour balance tweaked away from the strong yellow but that's just my preference. Also, a little grain might add to the feel of the place....... but again just my 2p's worth.
It just so happens i did process one just as you said, stronger contrast less saturation and a sprinkle of grain, i'll try and sort it out a bit later.
Chez said:
Great shot, the first one..

Is it just my monitor at work or do they look more like paintings than photos?

What processing have you applied?
Can't quite remember, shot in Raw and processed in Rawshooter then in Photoshop, contrast, brightness, saturation and maybe a very slight play with curves on the sky.

last one for me ....

Ken, it’s a shame that you have put the top photo in the photo sharing section and not in the Photo critique and comments as it is really an excellent picture and warrants the in depth comments it would receive there.

There is nothing wrong with this shot as far as I can see, all the elements are interesting, well balanced and compliment each other to make it great to look at. It is by far the best of the three shown here.

The second shot here is much weaker though as I don’t know what the main focal point is, you have the barn, the old ruin and a couple of trees all fighting for my attention. Unlike the top shot where there is just one focal point that then opens up into the background and paints a lovely scene.

The last shot is a bold attempt but although the barn in the background has been thrown out of focus it is still fighting with the stem for our attention. This is partly due to them overlapping and might have been better if you had positioned yourself so that the stem was more to the right. It may also have worked better without the barn at all?

The last thing I would like to say is that people and that includes me, should try to be a bit bolder with selecting one good shot and having the courage to submit it to the Critique forum. In this case the top shot would have had many comments and been very well received. :)

Steve said:
The last thing I would like to say is that people and that includes me, should try to be a bit bolder with selecting one good shot and having the courage to submit it to the Critique forum. In this case the top shot would have had many comments and been very well received. :)

I quite agree - and first shot is excellent... well done!

Steve said:
Ken, it’s a shame that you have put the top photo in the photo sharing section and not in the Photo critique and comments as it is really an excellent picture and warrants the in depth comments it would receive there.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I like all 3 shots and because they are of the same subject, along with not being on the forum to post for a while and having already posted for the critique section was the reasons behind posting all 3 here. Besides which i could not choose between 1 & 2.
Thanks once again for all your comments i appreciate it.
Ken.
PS. not quite sure how to do the smiley things now but be assured there would have been some in this post.
Thanks again.
Ken

KenCo1964 said:
PS. not quite sure how to do the smiley things now but be assured there would have been some in this post.
Thanks again.
Ken

If you click on the "Go advanced" button at the bottom of the thread it will show you the smilies at the side, to use any all you then need to do is to click on one and it will be imported into your reply.

You can still do it the old fashion way as well by using the keystrokes if you know what they are.

For instance : ) without spaces will give you :)
there are many others that you can use though ;)

Ahhh! didn't see the smiley at the top of my previous post.
No i don't get smilies at the side but post icons at the bottom.

If you look at the bottom of this thread you should see a blank box in which you can type a reply, below that there should be a button that says "go advanced" if you click on that the reply interface will change to a much more comprehensive version that also shows you the smilies.

Can you check that for me please Ken and let me know if its available for you?

Yes i do have the go advance button and when clicked i get a post icons underneath...which states "you may choose an icon for your message from the following list. when clicking the smiley it reproduces next to the title box. like so.

Yup they are there to allow you to attach one to each reply. What you need are the ones that you can use in the body of your posts.

Nothing to the right?

If not i suspect that you have the settings in your user controls set to prevent this.

Give me one moment and I will tell you how to set them correctly :)

Steve said:
Yup they are there to allow you to attach one to each reply. What you need are the ones that you can use in the body of your posts.

Nothing to the right?

If not i suspect that you have the settings in your user controls set to prevent this.

Give me one moment and I will tell you how to set them correctly :)
Cheers Steve, got to pop out for a mo, i'll follow your instructions when i get back.
Ken.

Scroll to the top of this thread and in the top left corner you will see a option that says “User CP”
Click on that once and you will then be given a list of options on a new page.

On the left hand side under Control Panel > Settings & Options select “edit options”

Now scroll all the way down to the bottom of the main screen and you should see a section titled “Miscellaneous Options” there is a drop down box, in there select “Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls” then “save changes”

You should now have the correct editing option when you click on the “go advanced” button at the bottom of threads, including alll the smilies :D

Back