Thomas Heaton calendar critique

Actually I did quite like the snap of the tree against the orange wall.

Just NO! That's how we got anti-vaxers and flat-earthers
The trick is not to tell them they're wrong but to show them why they're wrong. Anything else just backs them into a corner and makes them more determined to spread their error. The Romans made the same mistake a couple of thousand years ago and look where it got us!

The trick is not to tell them they're wrong but to show them why they're wrong. Anything else just backs them into a corner and makes them more determined to spread their error. The Romans made the same mistake a couple of thousand years ago and look where it got us!
Infect them with polio? That's a little harsh. [emoji6]

Just NO!

That's how we got anti-vaxers and flat-earthers

That’s a bit of leap, no? We’re talking about subjective opinions of images with some basis given. I agree opinions held about anti-vax or flat earth that are not based on facts, while sincerely held by some, are not valid.

That’s a bit of leap, no? We’re talking about subjective opinions of images with some basis given. I agree opinions held about anti-vax or flat earth that are not based on facts, while sincerely held by some, are not valid.
But are you questioning the validity of his opinion?:D. You could say all opinions may be valid but some are more valid than others ... but where does that leave us? I think everyone here probably agrees with your sentiment but maybe “valid” is the wrong word.

Well that was the most boring thing I'll watch this Christmas ... hopefully! I don't know why I even did watch it, I knew what it was going to be like as I've seen this dry, boring, low end youtuber a couple of times in the past. Probably came up in searches where he was using other click bait titles.

Infect them with polio? That's a little harsh. [emoji6]
I'm not sure that counts as showing them they're wrong. Still: if it works for you... :naughty:
I don’t think that worked with the current measles outbreak in Samoa where some people were still avoiding vaccination.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Samoa_measles_outbreak
In Samoa there was a rational if mistaken reason for people originally avoiding the vaccine.

I really don't want to get into an epistemological debate on Christmas day (or most others, come to that) but I find myself unable to agree with the assumption contained in the adjective in "subjective opinions" and the even bigger assumption in the idea of flat earth being based on facts. Not even mathematics is based on facts; and it's very easy to prove that 2 + 2 DOESN'T equal 4. Seriously.

I personally don't believe in a flat earth, but the "facts" this opinion is based on are still subjective.

I really don't want to get into an epistemological debate on Christmas day (or most others, come to that) but I find myself unable to agree with the assumption contained in the adjective in "subjective opinions" and the even bigger assumption in the idea of flat earth being based on facts. Not even mathematics is based on facts; and it's very easy to prove that 2 + 2 DOESN'T equal 4. Seriously.

I personally don't believe in a flat earth, but the "facts" this opinion is based on are still subjective.
Well ... it all depends on what you mean by ’flat’ ;)

Sorry :-(

Hopefully, things can only get better now.

Well it's hardly your fault :D I just found both of them very dreary - I do wonder though, if it was his own work she was critiquing, would she have been so try hard harsh about it?

I also agree with those who believe he's using Heaton's work as click bait

That’s a bit of leap, no? We’re talking about subjective opinions of images with some basis given.
I'm coming at it from the point of view that in any field of human endeavour there is study, knowledge, learning and that someone who has taken the time to study the relevant literature and thinking, and for photography visited a wide range of exhibitions over many years, viewed at least all the classic photobooks etc. has a much more informed opinion than Mrs G and has such has a much more valid basis for giving crit.

...has a much more informed opinion than Mrs G and has such has a much more valid basis for giving crit.
Another view is that one person's opinion of "art" (whatever that is) has as much validity as anyone else's. At the end of the day all these discussions come down to your beliefs and biases and there really isn't much point in arguing.

:tumbleweed:

Not even mathematics is based on facts; and it's very easy to prove that 2 + 2 DOESN'T equal 4. Seriously.

I've seen this parlour trick before and its really quite lame.

Changing the normally assumed context of the statement 2 + 2 = 4 doesn't disprove it. You would just be showing that it means something else in a different context. By assumed context I means that we normally assume the + means addition and that we are working in the base 10 (decimal) number system.

Regards...

I've seen this parlour trick before and its really quite lame.

Changing the normally assumed context of the statement 2 + 2 = 4 doesn't disprove it. You would just be showing that it means something else in a different context. By assumed context I means that we normally assume the + means addition and that we are working in the base 10 (decimal) number system.

Regards...

That's not one I have seen before - and it's most certainly not what I was referring to. See "The Foundations of Mathematics" by Stewart and Tall. And that really is my last word in this thread.

They were all a bit drab. Glad I've got a nice calendar to put up on my wall next year. :ROFLMAO:

found the video hard to watch .....in fact I stopped it after a bit of scrolling ........personally think the best thing about Thomas (whether the images are good or not) is he makes you think....yes I should get out there more....gives you something to consider.....also love the camper van stuff.....

I lasted a few seconds. With his hairstyle and her jumper, they shouldn't be criticising anyone! :)

Great video, all good points and good dose of humour [emoji1] If they were all perfect pictures in everyone's eyes they would be rubbish pictures.

It highlights a point that your intended audience needs to like your work (from the point of view of creating revenue). I find my Dad who knows his photography well gives poor opinions on some of my images that I have the best general feedback from non photographers, who I would consider the group I aim at.

Saw this as a suggested vid and watched somewhat bemused. I wanted to find it funny however the concept would've worked better if he'd got his wife to critique his own work. As is, despite the jovial presentation, it comes across as a bit of a cynical attempt to get more views off the back of using TH's work, even if he did get the guy's permission, there's some things you just don't do.

I did find the video funny, if nothing else for the relatability element - I run a gallery in the lake district on Keswick high street and Mrs G's comments are absolutely 100% typical of how landscape photography is consumed outside of non-photographers.

I run a gallery in the lake district on Keswick high street and Mrs G's comments are absolutely 100% typical of how landscape photography is consumed outside of non-photographers.

Thomas Heaton responded to say that Mrs Gs views matched those of Mrs Hs

Thomas Heaton responded to say that Mrs Gs views matched those of Mrs Hs
Yeah it's no surprise - it's like any other pastime or hobby, if you're not personally involved in it or only having a passing interest you're going to care little for the finer details of the craft itself. Customers I deal with who buy this stuff are more concerned with whether a print will match the wall colour or the room decor.

Yeah it's no surprise - it's like any other pastime or hobby, if you're not personally involved in it or only having a passing interest you're going to care little for the finer details of the craft itself. Customers I deal with who buy this stuff are more concerned with whether a print will match the wall colour or the room decor.

A couple of years ago my mum asked if she could have a photo I'd taken to put on the wall, which made me really happy. It was a foggy Corfe Castle image taken on a cold winters morning. After it was framed and hung, I asked her why she picked that one. I was thinking, was it the way the sunlight hit the morning fog and made it glow, or maybe the way I'd composed it with the warm light on one side and the colder shadows on the other?

Nope. "it had red in it, and the wall's red."

Surely it’s worth having a consumers point of view....

Absolutely. If I produced a calendar like that then I'd love to hear the opinions of people who might buy it.

OTOH she's not the sort of person who would seek out and buy a calendar by a landscape photographer, so I don't think her opinion is of any help or value to TH and others that sell landscape pictures.

I've long wondered who buys landscape photographs and calendars of landscape photography.

Back