Thomas Heaton

So he's just meant to go out every week and create free content for you to watch from the comfort of bed?
£400-£500 is nothing if you think about the expense of flying to various locations, accommodation, time shooting the video, editing etc.

So what if he makes a bit of money from advertising or product placements.

I watch his channel because he DOESN'T talk about settings. Settings mean nothing. What he does do is inspire me to get my arse out of bed in the morning on a weekend or to grab the camera and go for a walk after work in the evenings.

I couldn't agree more with this. I really don't think that some people understand just how hard it is to make money solely from photography. Nowadays we have to try anything we can just to get some bread on the table.

Try being a stock photographer. Try seeing how your hard earned efforts can be sold for a pittance. What do you do? I may not agree with some of Mr Heaton's "adventures" but I certainly cannot say anything against trying to earn a crust of bread.

My own situation here in France isn't simple. I am on a tax regime known as auto-entrepreneur. If I travel, and I do a lot, I can't actually claim any expenses on my tax due to the simplistic nature of the regime that has been created. There is the "normal" version but if you've crossed swords with the french administration system you'll know how complicated it can be. So complicated that even the French themselves ain't got a clue!!!

So he's just meant to go out every week and create free content for you to watch from the comfort of bed?
£400-£500 is nothing if you think about the expense of flying to various locations, accommodation, time shooting the video, editing etc.

So what if he makes a bit of money from advertising or product placements.

I watch his channel because he DOESN'T talk about settings. Settings mean nothing. What he does do is inspire me to get my arse out of bed in the morning on a weekend or to grab the camera and go for a walk after work in the evenings.

Ok, this is a rather aggressive sounding post. Tom Heaton is literally a photography hero of mine and of course I don't expect him to free content for me to watch. I've just observed that his channel has become more product biased and I preferred it when it was a bit more raw. Just my opinion Mr Coleman.

Ok, this is a rather aggressive sounding post. Tom Heaton is literally a photography hero of mine and of course I don't expect him to free content for me to watch. I've just observed that his channel has become more product biased and I preferred it when it was a bit more raw. Just my opinion Mr Coleman.

It wasn't an aggressive post at all, but your comment claiming that his videos are just becoming one big advert is so far from the truth it's unbelievable.
He may have product placement, that's how he earns his money (I'm sure he earns a lot more then the £400 odd in Google kick backs), but I've never felt like products are pushed down my throat, in fact he very rarely talks about gear.

If you want to watch a big advert, just watch anything from Kelby Media.

On the back of this thread I have started watching his videos and as a relative newcomer I am enthralled and inspired. Although I'm currently in Budapest for a few days he inspired me to get up two hours earlier this morning leaving my wife in bed to search out a few decent shots.

Also watched the two Simon Baxter ones and really enjoyed those too.

I can see a bit of a Breaking Bad style "binge fest" going on this weekend :)

Uh oh, Square Space advertising. That's my main beef with his videos so far. Fed up enough of hearing Tony and Chelsea bang on about it. Suppose a man's got to make a living though.

Uh oh, Square Space advertising. That's my main beef with his videos so far. Fed up enough of hearing Tony and Chelsea bang on about it. Suppose a man's got to make a living though.

I did not time how long Thomas talked about Square Space but it was not a big percentage of the length of the 16 minute video. :rolleyes:

If you want product placement you should try Karl Taylor, Serge Ramelli or Jay P. Morgan (The Slanted lens) on You tube.

I did not time how long Thomas talked about Square Space but it was not a big percentage of the length of the 16 minute video. :rolleyes:

If you want product placement you should try Karl Taylor, Serge Ramelli or Jay P. Morgan (The Slanted lens) on You tube.

linus media are worse

ben horne is good vlog style videos

ben horne is good vlog style videos

I watched a couple of his videos and it seems like all he does is leave the camera and walk around, tells you about walking around and then does some more walking around, I didn't get it. I also can't stand the slanted lens or fro knows photo, both are idiots shouting at the camera.

I watched a couple of his videos and it seems like all he does is leave the camera and walk around, tells you about walking around and then does some more walking around, I didn't get it. I also can't stand the slanted lens or fro knows photo, both are idiots shouting at the camera.

he does reveal videos of the actual photos, but yeah its abit wallpaper viewing

A bit rude to call them both idiots, I do enjoy their vlog ... :)

A bit rude to call them both idiots, I do enjoy their vlog ... :)

Clamps-for-Photo-and-Video-the-Basics.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-1.21.03-PM.png

You're right, 2 serious guys... especially the professional doing a sniff test at the bottom, anyway, I like Thomas Heston and photorec Toby is ok sometimes too, I just don't find these 2 entertaining or funny

You're right, 2 serious guys... especially the professional doing a sniff test at the bottom, anyway, I like Thomas Heston and photorec Toby is ok sometimes too, I just don't find these 2 entertaining or funny

It is what they do to attract audience, some enjoy and some don't and they won't going to impress all the humans we all find faults on tinny winny bits if we decided to hate them, I am also surprised to see people don't enjoy Thomas Heaton channel either ... but it does help them with the view and subscriptions on YouTube channel. Money goes into their bank account that's matters :)

He was born in Blackpool apparently, however it would be interesting to me

Last edited:
He recently did an ask me any question video so missed your chance :D

I find it quite odd there are negative comments on thomas heaton, hes a bloody good photographer, seems like an excellent bloke and he inspires people to get out and take photos. The negative comments seem to be based on the fact that he is sponsored, he tells us this in his vlogs,even tells us how much he gets and how he feels about it. Also his sponsors are Canon,Manfrotto and squarespace- he is a canon and manfotto man anyway and squarespace are a good product.
For me, i find thomas refreshing and an inspiration, its not Johhny Rotten flogging 'utterly butterly'!

I find it quite odd there are negative comments on thomas heaton, hes a bloody good photographer, seems like an excellent bloke and he inspires people to get out and take photos. The negative comments seem to be based on the fact that he is sponsored, he tells us this in his vlogs,even tells us how much he gets and how he feels about it. Also his sponsors are Canon,Manfrotto and squarespace- he is a canon and manfotto man anyway and squarespace are a good product.
For me, i find thomas refreshing and an inspiration, its not Johhny Rotten flogging 'utterly butterly'!

I think for people it's more the fact that Thomas is that guy that was good and inspiring to many and people liked his honest work and may feel that the sponship may impead that by turning into a money hungry sponsor machine. Most people who've commented have said that they like the fact that he just talks about his journey and not about settings etc but it's changing. People just don't like that change is what I understand.

Sorry to say that Thomas's latest YT video (22nd Feb) is becoming a bit to commercial for me.

He seems to be plugging the website service and the holiday company more than ever in this video. No doubt he has to make his living somehow and yes, he is a great photographer but I just don't find his latest videos as inspiring as the early ones he made. The ones Mr Drizz (Mark) started this thread about.

Last edited:
i have been in a bit of a lull, watching TH videos has kickstarted the passion again and i plan to get out and about for some landscapes, really like the video were he wild camped, with the cloud inversion, but getting up a mountain, to take photos of sun set ,leaves me walking down in the dark or staying the night, both not great for a newbie to walking mountains (last done 20 years ago), think i'll need to work on my mountain walking first

Sorry to say that Thomas's latest YT video (22nd Feb) is becoming a bit to commercial for me.

He seems to be plugging the website service and the holiday company more than ever in this video. No doubt he has to make his living somehow and yes, he is a great photographer but I just don't find his latest videos as inspiring as the early ones he made. The ones Mr Drizz (Mark) started this thread about.

I have to agree about finding his last few videos uninspiring. They just don't seem to be a patch on his earlier ones in my opinion. I don't know whether that is a direct result of the 'commercials' creeping in, but I'm certainly becoming less interested in watching them.

Simon.

Copy of the comment I put on the latest vlog.

Great vlog and superb last picture. I discovered your vlogs through the talkphotography forums a few weeks ago and have since discovered several others. You have all inspired me to get out and take more pictures and the occasional mention of a sponsor to help make this happen so thousands of people can watch these amazing quality YouTube mini documentaries is a very small price to pay. Keep up the great work and keep doing the sponsorship if it means we get to see quality programmes such as this. I now watch YouTube more than Netflix lol

I thought his last video (in Norway) one of his best. I wish more good photographers would tell you about why they don't like one of their own photographs. I got an excellent nine minute video for the price of a thirty second plug of squarespace and a couple of seconds thanking the holiday company. A better content/advert ratio than Channel 4.

Sadly I agree. Much preferred his earlier videos, it's difficult to produce something for the sake of it every week rather than when you feel like it...

The new one is excellent with some cracking pictures and superb drone footage.

Pretty nice subject though and I think even I would have got something decent from those landscapes lol

Back