Thomas Heaton

I know some don't like him or have every heard of him but his YouTube channel has been a big influence in me trying and loving landscape photography. His passion for landscape photography is infectious.

His YouTube Channel.

I've followed him for a while. He's a very honest, passionate and talented photographer.

Cheers.

Watched the video in the first post here and a few others - good straightforward stuff I thought.

Thanks for posting, Mark.

Dave

I quite like him, a very good photographer and an engaging personality. Always enjoy watching his videos

I will admit i don't buy calendars but it sounded like a lot to me. Fair play to him if he can sell them by the 000's though.

They are a little pricey I think, especially if he has hundreds to sell the price could be quite a bit lower. Having said that it's a free choice whether to buy them and the pictures do look great

came across this guy the other day while looking for tips on landscape as I'm off away next week for 5 days,

i enjoy watching his videos always fun to watch and explains well,

As for the calendar i guess it does sound a little costly compared to other calendars in shops for example. but on the other hand i guess the time and passion its taken to capture the photos and then make it prob evens out the price, just my opinion ofc :) but for £22 i would hope there on a good decent paper print!

I know some don't like him or have every heard of him but his YouTube channel has been a big influence in me trying and loving landscape photography. His passion for landscape photography is infectious.

His YouTube Channel.

Thanks for reminding me, Mark:plus1:! I came across him by chance some time ago whilst just browsing YouTube for photography tutorials. I subscribed! I'll watch the videos I haven't seen now...:)

I looked him up on the back of this thread and again enjoyed the clips that I saw. I find Youtube videos like this quite inspirational, mainly due to just seeing some of the locations.

I really enjoy his channel (and bought his Ebook and will buy his calendar). Does anyone know of other youtubers doing on location videos of similar quality? I follow an American guy (from Washington state I think) but cannot recall his name - I'll edit when I get to a PC. (EDIT: - Nick Page is his name)

Last edited:
I really enjoy his channel (and bought his Ebook and will buy his calendar). Does anyone know of other youtubers doing on location videos of similar quality? I follow an American guy (from Washington state I think) but cannot recall his name - I'll edit when I get to a PC.
another one i enjoy is a guy called

Nick Page Photography ( has a huge goatee beard ) hes worth checking out he explains all sorts from Equipment to PP locations, and so on :)

I can't take a good landscape photo to save my life. So recently searched youtube for guidence and came accross Mr Heaton I have watched quite a few and find them very good indeed.Also have watched the E6 ones as he his down to earth fellow :)

Gaz

Have selfie stick will travel. When you list them like this it makes you realise that most of the Vlogs are quite similar. I'd also like to ask Is it compulsory to have a beard if you make VLogs?

Have selfie stick will travel. When you list them like this it makes you realise that most of the Vlogs are quite similar. I'd also like to ask Is it compulsory to have a beard if you make VLogs?
Yes and a tattoo, a piercing is optional.

But you are right they are all of a similar style, not sure how that coild be changed as all vlogs of any subject are similar.

I think I've found the perfect formula for a great Vlog. Get up early in the morning, DON'T SHAVE, put the selfie camera in the back of the car then lift the boot lid, chuck all the gear in the boot, call in at McDonalds for a coffee, drive to the venue and then have a good walk around pointing the selfie stick in the air.

Having said all that, I really do enjoy the Thomas Heaton videos. I like his style and the way he presents the videos, I also like the way he pretends to sneak away for the weekend on "non photography" trips with his good lady. Best of all I think I learn something from him and he does inspire me to get out of bed at really stupid hours.

I've followed him for ages and love his YouTube stuff (which just seems to getting better and going from strength to strength with every episode).

I'm also shooting his upcoming wedding too! Nervous times shooting for such a talented photographer! :)

Small world, I was at his wedding! I would have said hello to a fellow tog (though I barely qualify as one) but I didn't want to distract you. I said to my friends at the time it must be stressful photographing a photographer. Can confirm that Tom is a great guy, that his calendar is fantastic quality, and that he gets up stupidly early.

Small world, I was at his wedding! I would have said hello to a fellow tog (though I barely qualify as one) but I didn't want to distract you. I said to my friends at the time it must be stressful photographing a photographer. Can confirm that Tom is a great guy, that his calendar is fantastic quality, and that he gets up stupidly early.

Ah Dave I wish I'd known - we could have had a chin-wag!

Yeah I must admit it was nervous times on the lead up to the wedding but, you're right, he's a really nice guy so it was good fun! :)

I have been watching him for ages. He seems a real down to earth sort of guy.

His videos have gone from strength to strength.

I was a little bit disappointed in the ebook. It seemed to jump all over the place a bit. I did manage to pick up a few tips so in the end it was a worthwhile purchase.

He sure looked like he had a huge pile of calendars to shift.

Best of luck to him!!

Last edited:
He has made me want to try out landscape photography I'm really liking watching his blogs at the minute.

Thanks for that Mark.

I just watched it on iPlayer, it was about the Perseid meteor showers. It's about 11 minutes in for those who don't want to watch Matt Baker throwing his arms about for the first part of the show.

I've watched a lot of his videos lately and he's very refreshing compared to some other ones. His videos come across as very genuine and much more believable than some of the other ones I've watched that are more set up and rehearsed. I like that he talks so much about light and compositon instead of camera gear and settings. I've learned a lot watching his videos (mainly that I've been pointing the camera 180 degrees the wrong way at sunrise/sunset :LOL: ) and they are enjoyable to watch.

His YouTube Channel.

Snap

I really like the videos, it's helped me get back into landscapes having been pulled more towards architecture, he does appear down to earth, I also like that he engages others, such as asking for location tips through twitter when out and about

Holy smoke when do you get time for photography then, Mark:)
He is obviously talented, and nice presentation. Pretty down to earth and not up his own professionalism! For some reason reminds me of Jamie Oliver, perhaps he's the Jamie Oliver of the photographic world ( no disrespect intended on either side ).
@FiestaRed "Call in at McDonalds for a coffee" blimey are they open at silly O'clock in the morning then, guess it must be a winter sunrise then;)

Regarding the calendars perhaps he has gone for quality over quantity? Has anyone got one yet? I guess by the time you take into account printing and binding, probably a few quid if your not using Trueprint (do they still exist or am I showing my age?) and if your only printing a small run it will be more expensive. However the country file calendar is about a tenner isn't it, but there probably running a couple of million and it is the BBC! So at £22 it's a fair wack but then I guess he wants to make a few bob out of it.
To me anyone who is that passionate about their photography is good by me and he has a nice relaxed style, Good on him!
As for his videos I'd rather watch them anyday, rather than that 'Master of Photography' cobblers! :rolleyes: (just my opinion).

Holy smoke when do you get time for photography then, Mark:)
He is obviously talented, and nice presentation. Pretty down to earth and not up his own professionalism! For some reason reminds me of Jamie Oliver, perhaps he's the Jamie Oliver of the photographic world ( no disrespect intended on either side ).
@FiestaRed "Call in at McDonalds for a coffee" blimey are they open at silly O'clock in the morning then, guess it must be a winter sunrise then;)

Regarding the calendars perhaps he has gone for quality over quantity? Has anyone got one yet? I guess by the time you take into account printing and binding, probably a few quid if your not using Trueprint (do they still exist or am I showing my age?) and if your only printing a small run it will be more expensive. However the country file calendar is about a tenner isn't it, but there probably running a couple of million and it is the BBC! So at £22 it's a fair wack but then I guess he wants to make a few bob out of it.
To me anyone who is that passionate about their photography is good by me and he has a nice relaxed style, Good on him!
As for his videos I'd rather watch them anyday, rather than that 'Master of Photography' cobblers! :rolleyes: (just my opinion).
He did a video about the calendar and the printing process. He has gone for quality printing.

Back