Thors Helmet

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
NGC 2359 (also known as Thor's Helmet) is an emission nebula in the constellation Canis Major. The nebula is approximately 11.96 thousand light years away and 30 light-years in size. The central star is the Wolf-Rayet star WR7, an extremely hot giant thought to be in a brief pre-supernova stage of evolution. It is similar in nature to the Bubble Nebula, but interactions with a nearby large molecular cloud are thought to have contributed to the more complex shape and curved bow-shock structure of Thor's Helmet.

The nebula has an overall bubble shape, but with complex filamentary structures. The nebula contains several hundred solar masses of ionised material, plus several thousand more of unionised gas. It is largely interstellar material swept up by winds from the central star, although some material does appear to be enriched with the products of fusion and is likely to come directly from the star.The expansion rate of different portions of the nebula varies from 10km/s to at least 30km/s, leading to age estimates of 78,500 - 236,000 years. The nebula has been studied at radio and x-ray wavelengths, but it is still unclear whether it was produced at the class O main sequence stage of development, as a red supergiant, luminous blue variable, or mainly as a Wolf-Rayet star.

This is 27.5 hours of 30 minute exposure taken with two filters.

NGC2359 - Thors Helmet by Sara Wager, on Flickr

You can see a higher res version on my website http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/thor_odk_final_no_halo.jpg

Wow super photography and post skill I have trouble getting the moon in one shot!

I would love to learn how to do this type of photography. 27.5 hours of exposure!? How long did take you in days? (Dependant on clear skies).

Thanks guys - I'm glad that you liked it. This took a number of re-processes to get to this stage - Probably in excess of 15 hours in processing time alone.

What did you bolt on your camera, Hubble?

Seriously, can't think of anything to get even close to how impressive that is.

Beautiful image once again Sara. Can I ask if you write the Astrophysics details yourself or find them online?
J

Fantastic as always Sarah, makes my 400 x 1 second exposures this afternoon look piddly in comparison ha ha :)

First - a truly epic image from somebody who obviously has a great deal of photographic expertise.
Second - you should definitely enter this into APOTY 2016 when the competition opens
Lastly - this would make a great APOD image, enter onto NASA's Starship Asterisk ( the often select images for APOD from there).
James

First - a truly epic image from somebody who obviously has a great deal of photographic expertise.
Second - you should definitely enter this into APOTY 2016 when the competition opens
Lastly - this would make a great APOD image, enter onto NASA's Starship Asterisk ( the often select images for APOD from there).
James

James, I have the APOD app on my netbook and have seen a few of Sara's images on there.

Sara, I've said it all before - you know the rest!!! Thanks again for sharing.

I click into your threads and expect to see stunning images, you really have outshone yourself this time, beautiful image

Sure ...... it was here http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap151029.html ..... perhaps 2016 will get me another :)
A truly epic image Sara .
Just out of interest how did you get it onto APOD ? Both of mine got on there because I was approached directly ( out of the blue and unsolicited) by Robert who organises APOD - he picked me up after trawling image tags on 500px. Was this the same for you ?
James

Thanks Simon, Nod and Steve - I'm glad that you liked it and thanks for looking :)

@Nod - It's only been one APOD so far ....

Has it? I was sure there had been more! maybe it's because yours are so good that I've assumed that others have been yours!

A truly epic image Sara .
Just out of interest how did you get it onto APOD ? Both of mine got on there because I was approached directly ( out of the blue and unsolicited) by Robert who organises APOD - he picked me up after trawling image tags on 500px. Was this the same for you ?
James

No it was put on their Starship Asterix forum and picked from there.

Perhaps another this year Nod :) Fingers crossed!!!

No it was put on their Starship Asterix forum and picked from there.

Perhaps another this year Nod :) Fingers crossed!!!

I'm not being over generous in saying that I fully expect to see more of your work on APOD - I also look forward to seeing more of your postings on TP.
Best of luck for 2016 - and hopefully lots of clear skies
James

Thanks all for your continued comments - They are much appreciated :)

Imaging has taken a bit of a back seat James as I'm currently testing a new mount for Avalon prior to it's release later in 2016........ It's working well, but it's curtailed my imaging somewhat!

Brilliant image again swag72

Back