Thoughts on older Canon EF FF lenses

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently bought a 5Diii, but just can't settle on a lens to "leave on the camera"

I have

22-55 ideal if walking round town or similar
28-80 OKish, but often leaves me wanting a fraction more length
28-135 IS Ideal, don't often go right to the 135 end, problem is it is so big and heavy!

For the same size and weight inconvenience, I have counted out the 24-105 f4.

As far as I can see, that leaves me with two alternatives, the 24-85 and the 28-105, any one any comments on either of them, or anything I have missed?
At the moment I am leaning towards the 28-105

I'm not looking for pro quality, it is not a system I want to spend a lot on, nor will it be used that often, just would like a bit more convenience when I do use it!

What exactly is the point of sticking absolute rubbish even by the standards back in the day on a fairly decent camera? Just what are you trying to achieve and prove here? Why not put a nail through one of them for example then you can at least claim "fine art" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

What exactly is the point of sticking absolute rubbish even by the standards back in the day on a fairly decent camera? Just what are you trying to achieve and prove here? Why not put a nail through one of them for example then you can at least claim "fine art" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for your intelligent, constructive reply :)
Great help.

Irrespective of lens at the moment, remember you can crop in to fill a 4k viewing monitor for example - a higher image quality lens will allow this, a poor image quality lens wont.

Irrespective of lens at the moment, remember you can crop in to fill a 4k viewing monitor for example - a higher image quality lens will allow this, a poor image quality lens wont.

Obviously I am aware of the benefits of a better quality lens, but I did state "I'm not looking for pro quality, it is not a system I want to spend a lot on, nor will it be used that often, just would like a bit more convenience when I do use it!" so honestly just looking for suggestions within the needs I stated :)

Obviously I am aware of the benefits of a better quality lens, but I did state "I'm not looking for pro quality, it is not a system I want to spend a lot on, nor will it be used that often, just would like a bit more convenience when I do use it!" so honestly just looking for suggestions within the needs I stated :)

Yes but some of lenses where barely acceptable on 35mm film, there is a balance!

Thanks, which ones?

IMO The first two, the third is borderline OK. the 5Diii is a very good camera, and deserves decent glass, no point in crippling it. Unfortunately any decent lens will be quite heavy, but I would put a 24-70 F4 L on it or bit the bullet and use the 24-105 F4, Live with the weight, it will reward you.

IMO The first two, the third is borderline OK. the 5Diii is a very good camera, and deserves decent glass, no point in crippling it. Unfortunately any decent lens will be quite heavy, but I would put a 24-70 F4 L on it or bit the bullet and use the 24-105 F4, Live with the weight, it will reward you.
Thanks, I guess you are talking about the three I have, not one of the ones I am thinking of?

If so, I would agree with you on the 28-80, I have three of them (came with cameras in the past), two of them are not very good, but one of them is visibly much better.

As I mentioned, I am aware of the advantages of better lenses, but it is not a camera I am going to use for much, mainly for fun, hence no desire to spend a lot, and really no need for the higher quality.
(I would use one of the G9s with the 100-400 lens for anything that needed it, to get similar on the Canon is simply out of the question for a few reasons. Similar goes for the other extreme, I have the 7-14 for the Panasonic, maybe that would show why I don't need or want to invest much in the Canon, I wouldn't use it)

Thanks, I guess you are talking about the three I have, not one of the ones I am thinking of?

If so, I would agree with you on the 28-80, I have three of them (came with cameras in the past), two of them are not very good, but one of them is visibly much better.

As I mentioned, I am aware of the advantages of better lenses, but it is not a camera I am going to use for much, mainly for fun, hence no desire to spend a lot, and really no need for the higher quality.
(I would use one of the G9s with the 100-400 lens for anything that needed it, to get similar on the Canon is simply out of the question for a few reasons. Similar goes for the other extreme, I have the 7-14 for the Panasonic, maybe that would show why I don't need or want to invest much in the Canon, I wouldn't use it)

So playing devils advocate, if M43 is your chosen system, why are you messing about with the 5Diii ???? Just slap a nifty fifty on it, and be done with it, if you must keep it!

The old 28-105 was considered a stellar lens back in the days of film. Build quality was superb, the optics were good (probably not to modern standards). If it had a constant aperture it’d be L quality (of the time).

So playing devils advocate, if M43 is your chosen system, why are you messing about with the 5Diii ???? Just slap a nifty fifty on it, and be done with it, if you must keep it!
I have a nifty fifty for it. :)

I changed from Canon about 4 years ago. I kept only a 650D and accessories.

My daughter and grand-daughter in SA use Canon, my daughter here uses only Canon, and my son here also has Canon, but now uses mainly M43.
We occasionally have a "Canon Day" where we go out together with just Canons, benefit to me is that I don't lose familiarity with them.

I got the 5Diii after a friend said I had not given Canon a fair chance without trying FF, and I have found he was partly correct, though I wouldn't get rid of the M43 gear now.

Boring answer, but that is "why" :)

The old 28-105 was considered a stellar lens back in the days of film. Build quality was superb, the optics were good (probably not to modern standards). If it had a constant aperture it’d be L quality (of the time).

Thanks, I will have a look, sounds like a good possibility.

I’d definitely recommend an L series lens to avoid compromising the camera. The 24-105 has great range but maybe go for the 24-70 if you want less bulk/weight. In terms of cost have you looked at secondhand items from mpb etc.

I have a 28-135mm and it was my fav lens on my 40D. I did feel I needed better lenses when I got my 90D but I did get some good result with it. As a walk about lens for the use you are talking about its ideal.

PS.. in answer to the specific question I’d value the extra range at the the wide end ie. 24mm over the added range at the other end - but depends what you shoot.

24-105/f4L practically lived on my 5d3 until I started to pair a sigma 35/f1.4 Art with my 70-200. If you want a lighter combo then the 5d3 isn't your friend as its a huge heavy body on its own, the 24-105/f4L isn't that heavy in the grand scheme of things.

I had the 5Diii and loved it, it's a great camera.
I sort of agree with the sentiments above but it depends upon your personal level of snobbishness. (mine is quite high tbh)

If you want to walk around, then the 24-105 F4, is great, but might be too heavy for you.
What about the sigma alternatives? like the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art Lens??
I'm a bit of a gear muppet though. For walkabout the M43 gear is great, to make the 5Diii shine and not have too much weight I would look at your nifty 50, or another prime like the 35mm or 85mm.
Really, it comes down to budget and convenience. So if you buy a lens that you'll never use, it's pointless owning it as the camera will sit in the cupboard.

I do remember owning the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM and loved it immensely on my older Canon 40D level camera.
Then later on it was underwhelming but I was into primes by then so other lenses within my price range were a bit 'dull'. So maybe that's your answer.

Last edited:
I have a 28-135mm and it was my fav lens on my 40D. I did feel I needed better lenses when I got my 90D but I did get some good result with it. As a walk about lens for the use you are talking about its ideal.
I have a 28-135, and it is a good all round lens, but a bit big and heavy.
When I used Canon APS-C I had the 18-135 and 18-200 lenses and they were nice, and the 18-135 was very sharp. I kept them for the 650, and also have the 10-18.

I've used both 24-85 and 28-105. the latter is slightly better than former but you miss out on 24mm focal length.

I've used both 24-85 and 28-105. the latter is slightly better than former but you miss out on 24mm focal length.
Thanks.
A couple of people have mentioned the 24vs28, and thinking about it, when I use wide angle, I usually go out with that intention, and would use the 22-55, it is really small and seems to work very well.

Glad you you speak favourably of the 28-105, seems it was popular :)

Get a 50/1.8 and move your feet. Seriously.

Job done.
Thinking of two places recently, I would need to be able to fly, and walk on water.

Think I have left it too late in life to learn those skills :)

I have a 50/1.8 and I like it, nice to just take that sometimes I agree.

I love my 24-70 f/4 L, and detest my 24-105 f/4 L.

Not sure what, if anything that tells you.

Tempted to ask what you don't like about it, but a better question would be why have you still got it ? :)
I don't like the weight and size, and I especially don't like the way it "re-adjusts" itself as I walk. I still have it as I'm not very good at selling stuff.

I don't like the weight and size, and I especially don't like the way it "re-adjusts" itself as I walk. I still have it as I'm not very good at selling stuff.
Is that ‘lens creep’ ?

I'm not sure if it's been already mentioned but Canon released a budget 24-105mm.
Thanks.
That was a difficult read, hard to separate the review from padding, but useful once ploughed through it,

I have seen them, but the used price often seems to be similar to the f4L version, though it is a bit lighter

Made a sort of decision.

Going to get an old 35-105, tried one out yesterday and liked it, mainly to see if 105 if long enough as I think it will be.

If it is, then I will get an f4 24-105, mainly for the IS.
I found a 70-300 in a box yesterday which is almost the same weight, and the weight wasn't such a worry as I thought it would be.

Back