London Three nights in London

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I am staying near Heathrow for three nights on business and I am thinking of going into London to do some shooting in the evening. I was thinking of getting the train into Paddington from Hayes and Harlington.

Can anyone suggest if this is a safe route to take in an evening, and can anyone also suggest some good locations for dusk/nightime shooting around the capital? I have tower bridge, millennium bridge and the houses of parliament on my list, but others may have some suggestions.

No one?

Can't comment on the route into London as I come from the south when I travel up but I've been around London a few times in the evening to take photos and have always felt safe. Just be sensible with equipment and be aware of who is around you and you should be fine in reasonably busy public spaces.

Anywhere along the river will give you opportunities and particularly the south bank including around more London. From your list I'm assuming you are looking at architectural shots rather than people so maybe a tube out to canary wharf might be worthwhile and also worth bearing in mind that the tube system itself gives opportunities for some nice shots, both architecture and people, and can be useful to warm up if the weather is bad. Leadenhall market and covent garden might also be worth a visit, it really depends how long you have and how much you want to move around.

The far end of the Queen's Walk, up near City Hall, gives you some great views across the river towards the City of London, but you'd get more from being in the City itself, particularly around the Bishopsgate area. I agree with Steve: Canary Wharf is great for dusk/night shots.

I've travelled from Heathrow T5 and Hatton Cross on the tube for a days photography in central London with no issues. I've also driven and walked around a couple of areas again around central London with no issues at the dead of night. Mainly common sense and awareness of what and who's around should be all you need.
The biggest issue I found was the 'tripod security' security, who upon seeing a tripod decide to intervene with 'What's that' and 'you cant use it here' blah blah blah.

Stick to well populated areas which these days seems to be most of central London, city and docklands, so busy in the evenings now.
Like most big cities, the areas around the main stations are a bit grim, Liverpool St is probably the exception.

You could always go Westwards one night to somewhere like Windsor, might make a change.
My choice is usually start at Greenwich, (Cutty Sark or Observatory) then head back into the city getting on and off the DLR
Various bridges are all good vantage points, Millenium, Blackfriars and Jubilee being just three that spring to mind

I am staying near Heathrow for three nights on business and I am thinking of going into London to do some shooting in the evening. I was thinking of getting the train into Paddington from Hayes and Harlington.

Can anyone suggest if this is a safe route to take in an evening, and can anyone also suggest some good locations for dusk/nightime shooting around the capital? I have tower bridge, millennium bridge and the houses of parliament on my list, but others may have some suggestions.
Hayes is fine. It's a building site as it's being extended for Crossrail. Surrounded by modern flats and not much around so a bit deserted late at night. Hatton Cross on the picadilly line may be a better bet, bus station and taxi rank outside. Windsor, Richmond Riverside, Little Venice, Albertopolis, Central London... All easy in a single evening.

I live in London and agree with the suggestions of the South Bank and Canary Wharf. Also as said Paddington Basin (tripod police) and Little Venice (both walking distance from Paddington) might be worth a look and night street photography around Soho can be good.

Have never had any problems in London except for the tripod police (but never in the evening). The train from Hayes & Harlington to Paddington is fine I use that route sometimes for work (including today)

Have fun

Back