Three of trees in the Ullswater area

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
None of them are the subject matter I would personally choose to shoot, but of their type they are all really well done and have bags of atmoshphere.

There is a mystical quality to two and three and the processing flatters each. I might not have used quite such a strong vingette in 3, but it does help push your eyes in

Cheers - I've just realised that the 6th of April was the last time I was out on my own with the camera doing my own thing. A bit of a nightmare.

Reactions: ST4
I like all of these. Whereas I probably would have taken #2, I would not have taken #1 or #3 but your processing has made me reconsider shots like these, thank you.

Very nice images Mark
I admire your ability to spot and process these.

Lovely stuff Mark, I especially like No3 with the muted colours and warm light but they all have bags of atmosphere.

Last edited:
Love all of these - had seen 2 and 3 before but not the first. Definitely the style of landscape I prefer, and you do it so well. The sort of thing I was aiming for when out in the woods this morning, but I will be happy if they are a tenth as good as these!

No.1 must be crying out to be printed BIG and hung on the wall :clap:I just love it.

Very much like all 3, and they are very much a style I try to acheive. The atmosphere in all 3 is great, and I especially like the control of tones in 2 and 3. I'm sure all would look great printed large & hung on the wall.

2 and 3 for me Mark, lovely atmospheric shots and nice processing. Would ideally have liked to see 3 in colour though. Perhaps it's me but felt mono wouldn't do it justice.

Cheers folks - appreciate the comments. All the files are single RAW files processed fairly simply using Lightroom using one of the presets I've built up. I don't do any localised dodging or burning but just keep it general.

2 and 3 for me Mark, lovely atmospheric shots and nice processing. Would ideally have liked to see 3 in colour though. Perhaps it's me but felt mono wouldn't do it justice.

Ok then

It does, but I still prefer the black and white version :)

I am a bit of a fan of Clyde Butchers images so I'll take that.

All great shots Mark and the different processing gives each a uniqueness but still linked.

If I had to choose a favourite it'd be 1, 2 and 3 :)

Love them Mark.
What sort of processing do you do on them?

I use Lightroom and Silver Efex. I have a variety of split tone presets for use colour images and do general adjustments only. If using silver ex I again just do it fairly simply before loading back into Lightroom to finish off. I quite like using a quadtone or a tritone in Photoshop to finish a mono image.

I don't use any selections/layers or masks. Not something I've ever really been into. My images are usually quite conditions dependent so I have a bit of a head start when it comes to trying to enhance the mood or atmosphere.

Mark all 4 photo's are very good, number 2 is just like a Constable painting, great work!

Number 2 is a great shot, I would just lose a little from the bottom. But thats just personal preference.

I use Lightroom and Silver Efex. I have a variety of split tone presets for use colour images and do general adjustments only. If using silver ex I again just do it fairly simply before loading back into Lightroom to finish off. I quite like using a quadtone or a tritone in Photoshop to finish a mono image.

I don't use any selections/layers or masks. Not something I've ever really been into. My images are usually quite conditions dependent so I have a bit of a head start when it comes to trying to enhance the mood or atmosphere.
Never tried split toning. Really impressive shots and great processing. Maybe i'll have to head up your way sometime to take some notes.

The second image is the stuff of fairytales both light and dark.
I love it.

I really like those for a lovely rendering of woodlands, but then I can't stop thinking they should be environmental / fine art portraits, a bit like some classic English paintings... particularly for the last shot in colour (it need colour btw)

I really like those for a lovely rendering of woodlands, but then I can't stop thinking they should be environmental / fine art portraits, a bit like some classic English paintings... particularly for the last shot in colour (it need colour btw)

Cheers. The problem I have is that I took this one a few seconds later and its probably my favourite image - hence me doing the one in the opening post in mono just for a different feel....

Woodland Wanders by Mark Littlejohn, on Flickr

love the colour ones. reminds me of lord of the rings/ the hobbit and the dark moody woods. very eerie with just the tiny hints of dappled light. ive done a few wooded shots but nothing comes out close to these and they just look dull and boring

I really love No2, the only slight distraction for me is the greenery In the bottom right corner I think id have dropped the exposure on that to make it less of a distraction (But that's just me) but I appreciate that you do not make selective adjustments, fair play! Its really just nit picking Mark and I think you have developed a unique and excellent method of processing your images, more power to your elbow .... there fantastic! Love No 3 colour and B&W and woodland wonders... You create the most fantastic atmosphere with your superb processing Mark... Don't be a stranger we love looking at your images Mate!(y)
Great Set!

Would love to know how you processed these. They have an amazing mysterious look. What do they look like straight out of the camera?

Back