Ticks!

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
This week I was optimistic enough to think I would find blooming heather in Elan Valley. What I found was in excess of 50 those lovely little creatures, most a a size of poppy seed. Almost no heather in sight though - every thing torched to a browny except the ferns.

I was expecting to find some ticks, just not as many! All picked out in good time before they could eat me alive.

The question is when you put all the clothes to wash does that wash them all away 100% or at least kill them or not?
Also did I do the right thing just throwing out a few down the sink?

Washing wiill probably get rid of them as will flushing down the sink. That was a heavy infestation you experienced. Think about getting one of those https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/948-OTom-Tick-Twister/
That tool gets ticks out without leaving the head (which usual triggers a skin reaction). It also avoids causing the tick to discharge it's body contents into the wound (you don't want that muck in your body because it could contain Lyme disease ).

Normally, if I find one embedded in my dogs I’ll wrap it in loo paper before flushing, but that’s so I can see I’ve got it out whole. Washing them down sink is fine.

A normal wash should shift them off your clothes.

When you remove them (works for fleas too) have a glass or small bowl of water with some drops of washing up liquid in it. Drop them in there. The broken surface tension means they sink and drown. Otherwise they stay on top of the water.

That’s a lot of ticks you collected! Were you wearing shorts? If there’s a risk of ticks I wear long trousers tucked into socks.

When you remove them (works for fleas too) have a glass or small bowl of water with some drops of washing up liquid in it. Drop them in there. The broken surface tension means they sink and drown. Otherwise they stay on top of the water.

That’s a lot of ticks you collected! Were you wearing shorts? If there’s a risk of ticks I wear long trousers tucked into socks.

yes, light coloured shorts. At least it was easy to spot them before they had the chance to crawl around too far. 4 or 5 somehow made it back home before being sussed out. They didn't have enough time to attach, so all came off without pulling.
If you are wearing long dark trousers I fear you may not see any and they just might drop off in the car and be ready for the next time. Something along those lines happened a few years ago - found one on a good week later.

If you get ticks, an easy way to remove them is to rub some liquid soap around the tick for a bit. They withdraw their head with the soap and you can wipe them away. Shampoo, one of these hand dispenser soaps, washing up liquid should all work.

Washing wiill probably get rid of them as will flushing down the sink. That was a heavy infestation you experienced. Think about getting one of those https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/948-OTom-Tick-Twister/
That tool gets ticks out without leaving the head (which usual triggers a skin reaction). It also avoids causing the tick to discharge it's body contents into the wound (you don't want that muck in your body because it could contain Lyme disease ).

They work very well, I have had one (well, two) in my rucksack first aid kit for years. Only had to use it twice, but impressed how quick and easy it is to use.

Back