Tide Tables

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning a photo trip, but the subject is dependent on the state of the tide when I visit.

I've been searching for "Tide tables" and "Tide times" but all the predictions I can find only last for a month ahead at the most.
Because of accommodation booking, I need to plan more than a month ahead.

Can anyone suggest a website that has tide tables that go more than a month ahead?

Maybe a scuba diving site?

Try contacting a sea fishing tackle shop in the area that you are going they usually have booklets that have the tide times for a year they could possibly send a copy. The last booklet I bought a couple of years back was £1.50 and worth that in wasted fuel or replanning a trip.

HTH

Trev.

I buy a local one from the RNLI shop as soon as I see the new one's available. The Dover and all Britain table listed in mickledore's link gives adjustments for 99 places around the country so should give you a good idea (although some areas do have rather complicated tidal patterns!)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That looks useful, except the place i want to visit is between two of the ports listed.
I suppose I could take an average of the times between them.

http://www.ntslf.org/tides/predictions

Or buy a paper copy - yes paper. Then you always have it with you even if there is no signal...

http://www.laverpublishing.com/
That might be the best solution.
It's cheap enough and as you say, it will always be with me.
I buy a local one from the RNLI shop as soon as I see the new one's available. The Dover and all Britain table listed in mickledore's link gives adjustments for 99 places around the country so should give you a good idea (although some areas do have rather complicated tidal patterns!)
Unfortunately, living in West London, I don't have a local RNLI shop.
I can get the London tides from the PLA site, and the Thames tidal times are published for the whole year.
It's very frustrating that for most other places they only seem to publish a short time ahead.

Let me know the proposed visit location and and I'll see what I can come up with.

Let me know the proposed visit location and and I'll see what I can come up with.
I'd rather not say the exact location, but let's say Hartland Point in Devon, although most listings give the tide times for Clovelly, which is reasonably close.

We use tide calculators from www.quicktide.co.uk Their calculators consist of a chart and a rotatable disc which allows you to calculate the tide at any part of the coast over a two year span. They do three version which, between them, cover the entire coast of Great Britain.

I'd rather not say the exact location, but let's say Hartland Point in Devon, although most listings give the tide times for Clovelly, which is reasonably close.

I would have thought Clovelly would have been good enough for that area. You may be a few minutes out around the headland. Bear in mind that tide tables are only predictions and the heights (if critical) can be affected by wind direction & strength and barometric pressure on the day. If you are looking further south from the Point then Bude would be a better bet. Try Bude RNLI on 01288 352971. You could always then extrapolate between the two.

I would have thought Clovelly would have been good enough for that area. You may be a few minutes out around the headland. Bear in mind that tide tables are only predictions and the heights (if critical) can be affected by wind direction & strength and barometric pressure on the day. If you are looking further south from the Point then Bude would be a better bet. Try Bude RNLI on 01288 352971. You could always then extrapolate between the two.
I don't need to know the height of the tides, just a simple high tide/low tide guide is sifficient.
Basically high tide/ low tide, morning or afternoon would suffice, the exact times are academic.

In that case for Clovelly at full moon and new moon high tide is around 06:30/18:30 and half moon around 12:00.

Paper tide tables usually have a list of corrections for other spots in the area covered. If it's just a rough idea (+/- 1/2 hour), you should be able to guestimate from the Clovelly times, although Bristol Channel times and ranges can be difficult.

The local council may have an annual update (mine does) on their website. I usually download it as a pdf and save it to my phone in case I cant get a signal for my app

I imagine you don’t need absolute by the minute predictions, so for Hartland you could use Ilfracombe, Swansea or Appledore. At work we use Admiralty Total Tide, but this has to be paid for, but you get predictions months and years ahead. Lavers tide tables are usually available in most angling shops or yacht chandlers for the local area.

I'd question that. There can be a big difference in water height between springs and neaps.
To a landlubber like me, the tide is either IN or OUT, or coming in or going out.

Back