1. Brian G

Brian G

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm planning a photo trip, but the subject is dependent on the state of the tide when I visit.

I've been searching for "Tide tables" and "Tide times" but all the predictions I can find only last for a month ahead at the most.
    Because of accommodation booking, I need to plan more than a month ahead.

Can anyone suggest a website that has tide tables that go more than a month ahead?

2. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Maybe a scuba diving site?

3. medwaygreen

medwaygreen

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Ceejay likes this.
  4. mistagain1

mistagain1

Name:
    Trev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Try contacting a sea fishing tackle shop in the area that you are going they usually have booklets that have the tide times for a year they could possibly send a copy. The last booklet I bought a couple of years back was £1.50 and worth that in wasted fuel or replanning a trip.

HTH

Trev.

Mark twiglet and swanseamale47 like this.
  5. mickledore

mickledore

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  6. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I buy a local one from the RNLI shop as soon as I see the new one's available. The Dover and all Britain table listed in mickledore's link gives adjustments for 99 places around the country so should give you a good idea (although some areas do have rather complicated tidal patterns!)

7. Brian G

Brian G

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That looks useful, except the place i want to visit is between two of the ports listed.
    I suppose I could take an average of the times between them.

That might be the best solution.
    It's cheap enough and as you say, it will always be with me.
    Unfortunately, living in West London, I don't have a local RNLI shop.
    I can get the London tides from the PLA site, and the Thames tidal times are published for the whole year.
    It's very frustrating that for most other places they only seem to publish a short time ahead.

8. Giblets

Giblets

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Let me know the proposed visit location and and I'll see what I can come up with.

9. Brian G

Brian G

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'd rather not say the exact location, but let's say Hartland Point in Devon, although most listings give the tide times for Clovelly, which is reasonably close.

10. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We use tide calculators from www.quicktide.co.uk Their calculators consist of a chart and a rotatable disc which allows you to calculate the tide at any part of the coast over a two year span. They do three version which, between them, cover the entire coast of Great Britain.

11. Giblets

Giblets

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I would have thought Clovelly would have been good enough for that area. You may be a few minutes out around the headland. Bear in mind that tide tables are only predictions and the heights (if critical) can be affected by wind direction & strength and barometric pressure on the day. If you are looking further south from the Point then Bude would be a better bet. Try Bude RNLI on 01288 352971. You could always then extrapolate between the two.

12. Brian G

Brian G

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't need to know the height of the tides, just a simple high tide/low tide guide is sifficient.
    Basically high tide/ low tide, morning or afternoon would suffice, the exact times are academic.

13. Giblets

Giblets

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    In that case for Clovelly at full moon and new moon high tide is around 06:30/18:30 and half moon around 12:00.

14. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No

Paper tide tables usually have a list of corrections for other spots in the area covered. If it's just a rough idea (+/- 1/2 hour), you should be able to guestimate from the Clovelly times, although Bristol Channel times and ranges can be difficult.

15. JohnFar

JohnFar

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    No
  16. Madmoggy

Madmoggy

Name:
    Graeme
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The local council may have an annual update (mine does) on their website. I usually download it as a pdf and save it to my phone in case I cant get a signal for my app

17. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No

I'd question that. There can be a big difference in water height between springs and neaps.

18. lightshipman

lightshipman

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I imagine you don’t need absolute by the minute predictions, so for Hartland you could use Ilfracombe, Swansea or Appledore. At work we use Admiralty Total Tide, but this has to be paid for, but you get predictions months and years ahead. Lavers tide tables are usually available in most angling shops or yacht chandlers for the local area.

19. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  20. Brian G

Brian G

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    PERFECT!

That looks like the one - Thank you very much.

Mr Perceptive likes this.
  21. Brian G

Brian G

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    To a landlubber like me, the tide is either IN or OUT, or coming in or going out.

GordonM likes this.
  22. Dave Semmens

Dave Semmens

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  23. steverob68

steverob68

Name:
    StephenR
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I just look out my window, then again 15 minutes later to tell if on the way in or out :cool: