The OP claims to be using a “stand alone” version of LR Classic v8.1.
I believe LR Classic “stand alone” was discontinued at v6.14, so how can this be right?
the A6600 was released after this, so the version of ACR baked into all versions of LR “stand alone“ will not recognise ARWs from that camera.

the way to go is to use the LATEST available version of Adobe’s DNG. converter to convert the ARWs to DNGs in one go, which WILL be recognised by earlier versions of LR.

IMO it’s likely that the OP is using an outdated version of DNG converter

Further to the above. There's a common misconception that all files with the ARW extension are the same. They are not (same with NEF, CR2 etc)
The extension may be the same, but the file structure is different for each camera type.
Also, be aware that, there are several versions of DNG. In the DNG converter "preferences" you can select the DNG output to ensure compatibility with older versions of ACR

When I had the a6600 I imported into LR as DNG files and exported as TIFFs
Sounds like you are using the "Copy as DNG" option when importing to LR. This only works if you've got a version of LR that recognises your specific raw files. If you subscribe to Adobe CC this will always be the case. If you've got an obsolete, perpetual license, version of LR you'll be left behind as new cameras are released with raw file formats that are not recognised.

The Sony Imaging software does not convert to DNG the only option is tiff !
I will include a screen shot later tonight

I don't understand what's going on here. I don't understand the question of why Sony software converting to DNG or not is involved.

Using the DNG converter is simple, you just start the converter, select the folder containing the files and click on "convert." You're then left with two files for each picture, one being the original raw downloaded from the camera and the other being the DNG.

Last edited:
I don't understand what's going on here.
Neither do I.

It seems to me that the answer is simple, and I've given it as best I can.
There's a lot of peripheral cr@p going around that's not relevant to the OP's problem.
Just use the latest version of Adobe's DNG converter to convert Sony raw directly to DNG, in one step, and off you go - simples.

The A6600 ARW are 24mb and when I convert to tiff the file size leaps to a whopping 66mb !
Not sure what is losted or gained !
Raw files (including dng) are not image files which you can be displayed, printed or edited in PS. Raw files contain the raw data from the camera usually along with some additional meta data. The various manufacturers Raw files are all different as well which is why Adobe introduced dng hoping it became a standard. Some manufacturers have done this but not the key manufacturers like Nikon, Canon and Sony. A raw file is often referred to as a digital negative like film. There is no picture until you develop the film. Raw is similar in that you need to process the raw file to produce a bit mapped image which can then be viewed, printed or edited. A raw file may include some lossless compression. TIFF files are also lossless so you can retain the full data after converting to say a 16 bit TIFF file but it will be much larger as the data is then in the RGB form required. If space is a significant problem then you can convert to a JPEG file which uses lossy compression so no guarantee that the image will be identical each time you open it. While this is not usually a significant issue for just storing and viewing, it is if you have a sequence of editing a JPEG file storing and re-editing when the image will deteriorate at each edit.

Dave

Back