Tilt Shift lenses for landscape

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Thinking of purchasing one to do away with WA distortion which results in a lot of my images being cropped to 16:9.....any thoughts people?
Looking at the Samyang 24mm.

cheers

Which mount?

There is the old oly om 35mm shift which is quite nice and good price also.
It can be adapted to most mounts.

I've had the Canon 24mm TS-E and have been getting used to it for landscapes. Great for getting front to back in focus by using the tilt function to lay down the focal plane.

I'm still getting used to it, though and have yet to fully explore all it's capabilities. Hope to have it nailed in time for my trip to Iceland in August

They can be great as you can use the lens vertically and use the shift movements to stich vertical frames and you can keep the camera level and use shift movements to avoid diverging and converging verticals.

When rotated, it does the same thing but horizontally. :)

What's meant by wide angle distortion?

Some if not all wa lenses are better corrected than some non wa lenses.

it's used

A question, Neil…
did you check if it is still in it's original cross movement
or was it modified to operate on the same plane?

No i didn't.

Well, you should! if anything is not right… this will impair
expected performance and the modification may??? have
been poorly executed. You should check.

sorry, not following you Kodiak.

Originally, PC lenses have perpendicular movements.
Some will modify them to same plane movements.

Using tilt on 35mm rather sucks... and having a sliver of focus through the scene doesn't suit a lot of situations IMO. Shift is useful in some situations... the Nikon 28mm PC lens is quite cheap these days.

I also have the 24mm PC-E... almost never use it...

I am not clear about what you mean by wide angle distortion.
wide angle lenses should not distort, the distortion comes from the close viewpoint. or by tipping the lens away from the vertical plane.
Stitched images do not distort either, any distortion comes from the projection chosen, or the same viewpoint problems related to all extreme wide angle images.
All tilt shift lens's allow you to do is make better use of the image circle , as in raising or shifting the lens with in the image circle.
the tilt allows you to shift the plane of focus. neither aspect help significantly with stitching. Any benefits are limited to the image circle that the lens can cover.

Congratulations on biting the bullet, they are great lenses but have a steep learning curve as far as using tilt is concerned.
The one thing it will teach you is patience they are not the easiest of things to use but live view and being able to zoom in on live view makes life a lot easier.

Have a read here (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what-tilt-and-shift-lenses-do/i) f you have not already done so.
Enjoy it they are great fun to use.

I had one which could do both movements similtanously and it was as mushy in the edges as hell.

They all can do, Steve and mine (24 & 85) are crystal clear wall to wall!

I must admit Neil (@NeilA1975) I am so close to buying a 24mm PC-E myself! I had one on hire for Christmas last year and loved it. Anyway you may find this link useful.

I must admit Neil (@NeilA1975) I am so close to buying a 24mm PC-E myself! I had one on hire for Christmas last year and loved it. Anyway you may find this link useful.

Yep, looked at that earlier Stu strangely enough....got a pretty good deal at MPB, arriving tomorrow, it might motivate me enough to get out this weekend, especially after last night!

Yep, looked at that earlier Stu strangely enough....got a pretty good deal at MPB, arriving tomorrow, it might motivate me enough to get out this weekend, especially after last night!
Look forward to seeing what you get! I am so tempted to get one but the realist in me can't have that and a 16-35 (especially when I have a 24-120 too) so I need to make up my mind if I sell something first...

Just for information... when using scheimpflug to tilt the plane of focus you will be surprised how little tilt is actually needed, for example with the camera about 4ft above the ground only 1 degree of tilt is needed.... (that is for a 24mm tilt shift)

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing what you get! I am so tempted to get one but the realist in me can't have that and a 16-35 (especially when I have a 24-120 too) so I need to make up my mind if I sell something first...

My dilemma too.

I have a Zeiss 18 + 21mm and Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AIS.
My plan is to lose both the 21 + 24 mm, leaving me with the 18mm which i'm now also contemplating selling and getting either a 17-35 or 16-35 which will give me extra coverage.

Just for information... when using scheimpflug to tilt the plane of focus you will be surprised how little tilt is actually needed, for example with the camera about 4ft above the ground only 1 degree of tilt is needed.... (that is for a 24mm tilt shift)

And you must remember that depth of field is at right angles to the plane of focus. so trees and the like go out of focus the taller they are.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the lens buddy.

Very nearly pulled the trigger a couple of months back but spent out on a new tripod instead. Just sold my Zeiss 21mm as well so room for a new lens in my bag again now

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the lens buddy.

Very nearly pulled the trigger a couple of months back but spent out on a new tripod instead. Just sold my Zeiss 21mm as well so room for a new lens in my bag again now

Will definitely be heading out this weekend Rich....which tripod did you opt for?

Will definitely be heading out this weekend

See if cityscapes may interest you somehow,
it offers an unbeatable "toy" perspective! :cool:

Your bag wont be complete without it Stu :whistle::exit:

Back