Time Lapse

Ok I have 100 small jpgs that I got from 1st attempt at Time Lapse, what do I do with them now ? Is there something simple to link them or does it have to be After effects

Ok I have 100 small jpgs that I got from 1st attempt at Time Lapse, what do I do with them now ? Is there something simple to link them or does it have to be After effects

Are you on mac or windows?

had a go at some time lapse today, using a MacBook and my D90 with Nikon Camera Control Pro 2

I also set the rig up in the car and have the computer take pictures every 3 seconds or so as I'm driving :)

would like to see this one :)

No worries next time I do it, i'll post the result up.

today was just a trial run to see if it would work ok and it did, the rig worked as expected, just a few minor tweaks needed to the viewpoint of the camera

I did a test earlier I set it to go off every 3 minutes for 2 hours and 2 shots per time, results??? Naff

What's naff about it? And why take 2 shots each time? You only need one.

Go to YouTube, search for 'Leon colour change wrap', first result should a White Seat Leon that we turned green. It was a great use of time-lapse to demonstrate what we were doing.

What's naff about it? And why take 2 shots each time? You only need one.

Go to YouTube, search for 'Leon colour change wrap', first result should a White Seat Leon that we turned green. It was a great use of time-lapse to demonstrate what we were doing.

There was nothing rolling It was of the clouds and vehicles passing my front door, It looked appauling just like different photos from the same location no continuous changing time lapse. Someone told me to take 2 snaps at the same time, thats why I tried that.

The Car Wrap is pretty much what I wanted as the effect was like a continuous story from start to finish while mine was just rubbish, I could have rearranged the order the photos were taken in and no difference would be seen.

Last edited:
I did a test earlier I set it to go off every 3 minutes for 2 hours and 2 shots per time, results??? Naff

There was nothing rolling It was of the clouds and vehicles passing my front door, It looked appauling just like different photos from the same location no continuous changing time lapse. Someone told me to take 2 snaps at the same time, thats why I tried that.

Jules Im guessing that you need to take the shots quicker for that sort of stuff say a car coming up the street you need to be taking a shots at your 6 frames a second or how ever many your cam take a burst, shoot jpeg as then the card wont have to buffer as much as in raw,

Last edited:

Have a look on Google for VirtualDub, you can load image sequences and render out as AVI from there using whatever codec you prefer, or windows movie maker for WMV.

Hi Jules a crude attempt just 6 frames, just as an example that I did for you, saved as a gif, soz edit 2 seconds worth of shots

Fall_Movie.gif

Dave

Last edited:
If you have photoshop then call up then animation, import your files, align layers based on content, set the desired time to show each frame, save as Gif Avi, Quicktime or what ever

I you dont have photoshop, use windows media movie maker

Last edited:
I couldn't either, not with my D300s, heh. So, I picked up three little Canon Powershot A460 cameras for £8 each on eBay specifically for timelapse.

RAW file saving, full manual control, intervalometer, and all kindsa other goodies thanks to CHDK. With an 8Gig card, I can fire off about 4K images at the highest JPG quality setting (which, if your white balance and exposure are all set right is all you need for a lot of stuff). They should go the full 4K images on a fully charged pair of GP2700mAh AA batteries with the LCD turned off. :)

I've got an old A460 and have obtained and installed CHDK. I can access all the new funky menus, but how do you do the "intervalometer" thing? I can't figure it out!

It's a script you need to put on the SD card yourself.

There's a dozen different intervalometer scripts available. The one I use most often is Ultra Intervalometer.

I've been playing with time lapses for a few years, used various cameras such as a Pentax Optio W60 (intervalometer built in and waterproof) a Samsung SMX-F30 camcorder again with intervalometer, I also have a timer switch for my canon dslrs, that enables me to set the interval and fire the shutter.

And most recently have been using a GoPro HD Hero which also has intervalometer built in.

Biggest issue for me too is battery life :thumbsdown:

gopro timelapse

SMx f30

I'm not sure what options you have on the cameras you're using Alan, but on the A460, I just turn off the display, set the script going and let it do its thing.

I've had it shoot around 6500 images for a full 11 1/2hrs from a fully charged pair of GP2700mAh rechargeable batteries. With the LCD turned on, it's MUCH MUCH shorter.

Same on the D100/D200/D300s. As long as I have image review turned off, and I'm not using any auto-focus, VR or popup flash (and I don't see why you'd need to use any of those to be honest), the batteries will last a LONG time - especially if you're using a grip and have 2 of them in there.

Last edited:
Back