Time to give astro a try - Penmon Lighthouse, Anglesey

Edit My Images
No
Never really given astro much of a go so decided this is the year. Went to Penmon on Anglesey last Friday to shoot the Milky Way, wrong position for the galactic core but some good practice to get things started. Caught a very faint hint of the KP5 Aurora too which was a bonus

p2833710994-5.jpg

Thanks for the immense viewing pleasure! :cool:

Lovely shot. Just checking, isnt it best to see the Milky Way just before sunrise at this time of year?

The Milky way is visible most of the night but the galactic core only appears in the early hours at the moment so if you're mainly interested in seeing that then yes. If you're wanting to include a certain feature in the photo you might not have that choice though as the GC might not align with the feature you're wanting to use

Simon

Simon I found your book to be a truely excellent guide to the area and in my opinion the best in the whole series! I don't want to detract from your post, but I hope you would be happy if I was to share a couple of shots directly inspired by your book - all the shots were taken back in October 2016

ISS passing over the Lone Tree, Llyn Padarn, Llanberis - looking towards Snowdonia. This is 2 x 30" exposures combined to give the extended track of the ISS, it was great to include M31 the Andromeda Galaxy over on the left - you will have to buy the book to find this one :)

JFBX2180.jpg

This one is a bit messy, Llynnau Mymbyr, the streak is a helicopter doing a rescue mission on top of Snowdon and picking up a lost American walker. Also on the left is a meteor passing the Core of the Milky Way.
I would have liked a better foreground, but it would be difficult to re-stage :)

JohnBaker-JFBX1633-small.jpg

Love this one, Moonset above South Stack, Anglesey. Nice view of the Core and loads of Air Glow - I used the peak of my cap to cover the bottom of the frame when the light was directly towards me

John Baker - 001.jpg

One on the 8-15mm fisheye zoom at 8mm - Llynnon Mill, Llanddeusant, Anglesey – I liked the way the sails distorted. Nice view looking North, a bit of light pollution, but dark enough to see Andromeda and the Pleiades/7 Sisters

John Baker - 003.jpg

Final shot, Ynys Llanddwyn, Anglesey - not the clearest of nights as the core was partly obscured by clouds, but I rather liked the last of the red from the sunset...

JohnBaker-JFBX0987-small.jpg

A wonderful set of locations in a great part of the country, made far more accessible by simply having the book!!!!
I am looking forward to getting back to the area at some stage, I look forward to seeing some more of your images as you get out and do more astro.
Best wishes from South Devon

Excellent set, most enjoyable to see, thanks :)

Simon I found your book to be a truely excellent guide to the area and in my opinion the best in the whole series! I don't want to detract from your post, but I hope you would be happy if I was to share a couple of shots directly inspired by your book - all the shots were taken back in October 2016

A wonderful set of locations in a great part of the country, made far more accessible by simply having the book!!!!
I am looking forward to getting back to the area at some stage, I look forward to seeing some more of your images as you get out and do more astro.
Best wishes from South Devon

Nice set of shots and great to hear that my book provided some inspiration, makes the non-stop 2yrs of working on it well worthwhile to know that people are making good use of it

Thanks

Simon

Nice set of shots and great to hear that my book provided some inspiration, makes the non-stop 2yrs of working on it well worthwhile to know that people are making good use of it
Thanks
Simon
The only thing I would add, which I missed is that Llanddwyn Island is actually an Island - not that there is any giveaway in the name :)

JohnBaker-JohnBaker-JFBX1037-Small.jpg

Having had a grand couple of hours shooting at the other end of the island, we then started to head back to the car. So here we go Llanddwyn Island with the tide in, just before we had a couple of hours rough sleeping on the beach, waiting for the tide to go out :) But it is still one of my favourite locations...

Back