Timelapse movement - Timelapse rail project

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

I'm fairly new to time lapsing but I was thinking when you see videos where there is movement in the video, it is moving the camera rather than zooming in progressively. If so how much would be a good distance for the camera to move in say 2 hours of recording? I guess something like 1mm/0.5mm per frame would be the required sort of speed to move the camera?

I'm thinking of making a rail that will do this via a stepper motor if it works by hand as there is some M20 bar kicking about the workshop just begging for it...

Any input welcome,

Harry.

I've been looking into making a slider as well. If you go ahead with it you should make "How To" while your at it;) As said above, the speed and distance you move the camera really depends what effect you're after. I tried it a few times on a slider where you have to move the camera yourself, but it could only be on flat ground otherwise the camera would slide away by itself lol.

I've been looking into making a slider as well. If you go ahead with it you should make "How To" while your at it;) As said above, the speed and distance you move the camera really depends what effect you're after. I tried it a few times on a slider where you have to move the camera yourself, but it could only be on flat ground otherwise the camera would slide away by itself lol.

That's what this thread was going to be... Just can't be arsed with the CAD drawings at the moment! Will probably be using mills and lathes too so not something everyone can do at home. Unless you have a workshop in your garage!!!

you could probably find a design online, its the electrical bits would be more annoying

There's a good few designs online already so might be worth a look. A few of the various commercial models available use standard aluminium extrusions, bushes, belts etc so a lot can be got easily.

I think you are on about hyperlapse's. They are not video footage its 100's of photos have a look on youtube
Who, me?

I think we are all talking about timelapse using a motion controlled dolly here. The completed, processed sequence is essentially a video so that's where some may get confused. A modern day hyperlapse very often does not involve a dolly as larger movements are required between shots.

Last edited:
I meant the OP..

Can I have an example of a moving timelapse please sorry to be a pain ha I was watching a video on hyperlapse couple weeks ago and like the sound of them but its a load of work!

Yes, one of those is what I was on about. With any luck the one I will make will cost considerably less, too. What a rip off!
Unfortunately thats about the market price for a system like that. All parts are available in the UK and if you're good at that sort of thing then go for it, it would work out cheaper I am sure. The electronics etc is a sticking point for a lot of people but again if you know that stuff, go for it.

Depending on what you use I'd say the rail is the single biggest item to buy. The price for that kind of thing in the UK has almost doubled in the past few years.

Unfortunately thats about the market price for a system like that. All parts are available in the UK and if you're good at that sort of thing then go for it, it would work out cheaper I am sure. The electronics etc is a sticking point for a lot of people but again if you know that stuff, go for it.

Depending on what you use I'd say the rail is the single biggest item to buy. The price for that kind of thing in the UK has almost doubled in the past few years.

Can get a programmable stepper motor and board for around £100, material cost will be around £50 I think then it's just the time making it...

Done some preliminary sketches and think that a rail with 1.5m travel will be ideal. It will have one length of M24 stock bar down the middle to provide the screwthread and then some 16mm down either side to act as levelling/support rails. Capped at either end with either some aluminium or steel bar, which I will try to make removable in some way so the whole thing dismantles down for storage. I may also look at making the bars out of 2 pieces that screw together, especially the 16mm support bars :) The camera will sit on a saddle which travels down the length of it.

Updates as and when, but this project is a goer!

Done some preliminary sketches and think that a rail with 1.5m travel will be ideal. It will have one length of M24 stock bar down the middle to provide the screwthread and then some 16mm down either side to act as levelling/support rails. Capped at either end with either some aluminium or steel bar, which I will try to make removable in some way so the whole thing dismantles down for storage. I may also look at making the bars out of 2 pieces that screw together, especially the 16mm support bars :) The camera will sit on a saddle which travels down the length of it.

Updates as and when, but this project is a goer!
Good stuff. There's not many of the lead screw style out there I don't thin. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

The Digislider is a pretty good value pre-made solution, around £500 total for a really complete setup - but with some far cheaper options too.

Hi, I'm having a go at making a slider and will be following this with interest. The electrics/mechanics side seems easy enough to sort, being a bit of a luddite on the electronic aspect makes that the tricky bit for me.

Thread from the dead! I submitted the time ticket at work for the first part today, sadly it will use a 240v motor but that's only because it was kicking about. Also uses some extruded aluminium bar that was kicking about the workshop so I'm not sure how useful the drawings would be to anyone :( I will put them up for anyone interested, and also an electrical circuit diagram. For simplicity it is just going to be constant drive, max 1 meter per hour ish but variable so it can be slowed down. Limit switches at each end to stop it destroying itself.

Also it should be able to used as a normal video rail thing with the new design - the 'kart' can be unscrewed from the leadscrew fairly easily now.

Quick render..:

Last edited:
Will be watching with interest as I've considered making a dolly slider myself:)

Thread from the dead.... Ish. Look what's been arriving on my desk these last few days :)

There was only stainless kicking about so it weighs and absolute s*** tonne!

I had bought all the stuff for a slider project but never got round to it.. I found a place that did the same raw aluminium rails as dynamic perception.. I will get more details later.. I had the rail, belts, ardunio, cogs, motors.. but never built it up..

looks very interesting :) please don't forget to share with the result ( slider it self :) )

Doesn't using a slider kind of limit the range of the motion you can achieve though. Look at the Rob Whitworth stuff- things like that have left timelapse working on basic slider type movements back in the rear view mirror.

I strongly suggest using Youtube and other internet sources for building tutorials and tips, it will save you loads of time and frustration.

Looks good.. I wish I had that stuff kicking around d

Thanks - My job has it's perks!

how heavy it's gonna be :) ?

Quite, but not totally unmanageable. I've not weighed it but the motor isn't that light, nor are the end plates. The rails are hollow aluminium section so no real weight, it's just heavy at the ends. CofG is towards the motor of course.

Still, at least it's not going to get blown away :p

Total length inc motor is 1.7m and total run for the camera is a smidgen under 1.4m.

Harry.

Thanks - My job has it's perks!

Quite, but not totally unmanageable. I've not weighed it but the motor isn't that light, nor are the end plates. The rails are hollow aluminium section so no real weight, it's just heavy at the ends. CofG is towards the motor of course.

Still, at least it's not going to get blown away :p

Total length inc motor is 1.7m and total run for the camera is a smidgen under 1.4m.

Harry.

very nice :) i bet it's gonna be rock solid :)

that looks really good and promissing. what are you planning to use to controll it?

Back