Daily Timmy's 365 - Well that's that then.

A great catchup, I love the staples, and saw them up high in explore, well done!
Some nice bug shots in there!
Thanks, although I think I should really be thanking Vince. I'm pretty sure I got the idea from some images he posted in his 365 earlier in the year...

tim...those insects... sooo close and detailed ..incredible..!!

...are they alive or recently departed?
Sadly, recently departed, although not by my hand I hasten to add. For some reason I've been finding loads of dead bees in the house this past week or so (more than 20 so far) and the ones that are still alive I set free.

Some are more recently departed than others though. You'll notice that last one hasn't quite stacked correctly, and it's only when I was I was flicking through the images I noticed it was "twitching" slightly. Probably just natural posthumous nerve movement and hopefully not related to the big needle I had thrust through it's abdomen!

your macros are effing amazing, bravo!!!

if i may ask, what lens are you using :)
Thanks very much! Glad you like them. These were all taken with the Canon 50mm 1.4 mounted on a full set of (cheap) extension tubes. The key here is to focus stack, which gives you much greater depth of field than you could achieve with a single image (each one is comprised of 10-20 separate images with a slightly different plain of focus, merged together with some free software, CombineZM). I've just ordered myself a (cheap) macro rail too to hopefully improve my technique :)

Excellent catch up Mr Tim. Have to say I'm not that keen on super close up bug shots - although they are very good.

I'm liking the Fly on the Asparagos, the white flowers and of course I just :love: Mavis :D

Thanks guys

Excellent catch up Mr Tim. Have to say I'm not that keen on super close up bug shots - although they are very good.

I'm liking the Fly on the Asparagos, the white flowers and of course I just :love: Mavis :D

Ha ha! Asparagus, good one. I reckon that would make the fly about the size of a mouse. Scary thought!

Ok as you don't like the bug shots, here's a picture of my cat:

177/365/2013 - Gato by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

And because I bought a new rocket blower I thought I should fit it into my 365 somehow:

178/365/2013 -Runaway! by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Expect more bugs this weekend though (if it stops raining...)!

Well that's good, because I got another one tonight. Also managed to capture some interesting behaviour I'd heard about but never noticed before (you can click through to my flickr page to read all about it if you are interested)...

182/365/2013 - The Aphid Farmer by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow - you are really rocking these macro shots - really like your processing too (y)

Wow I had a catch up the other day on Flickr.. Awesome sauce shots Tim (y)

Your macros are stunning!

Ha ha! Plenty more Jeff! I've got a ton of bugs to show you!

Had some family over this summer and got behind with work and visiting here, so I best make up for it!

Brace yourselves:

190/365/2013 - Tiny Spider, Tiny Prey by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

191/365/2013 - Arena by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

192/365/2013 - Beside the Jesus Lock by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

193/365/2013 - The Gibbs' Building by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

194/365/2013 - Froghopper by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

195/365/2013 - Green Orb-Weaver by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

A few things to note. I seem to have settled on a square crop wherever it is appropriate. I'm not sure how I ended up with this, but I guess in the age of instagram, it makes sense.

I've also gone macro mad, but I think this is a consequence of the longer days more than anything. Previously, by the time I got home from work it would be dark and I would often run around the house looking for an object to photograph for my 365. Now, because it's light I can do the same but run around the garden instead.

I'm also discovering lots of new species I hadn't seen (or noticed rather) before and it fulfills my desire to be a wildlife photographer without having to put in the long hours and travel for miles!

Some incredible macros....amazing detail.....which lens?
All my macro stuff is done with a 50mm (1.4) on a full set of extension tubes. I have however made a not insignificant investment in a new dedicated macro lens, and I am anxiously waiting for it's arrival!

Excellent catch up I've seen most of them on Flickr - far too many good ones there to comment on - but you really are rocking the macro - can't wait to see how you get on with the new lens.

Back