Tiny Tiny Bug

Edit My Images
Yes
Found a small bug today and though I would try a bit more of a rig set up than my usual snap shots.

You can see how small the insect is from the first picture. Should have started with an easier shot than this :bonk:

Really hard to get any focus on as it was always moving, I had to move the card it was on and shoot it as it walked past the lens!

Shot with my Canon EF 60mm Macro

EDIT: metering on matrix, I knew there was somthing I forgot! Wanted it on spot
1/30
ISO400
F.8
Light source from the left hand side with diffuser.

Any advice as I really want to improve my Close up shots!

flysize.jpg

fly3.jpg

fly2.jpg

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Macro shots like this really need to be super sharp and show a bit more detail in the subject I think. Did you use a dedicated macro lens for this

yes a canon 60mm EF-S

like I say it was super hard as it was moving all the time, the only way i could do it was to move the card it was on till it walked past the screen, as it was that small to the DOF was sooo small.

as it was always moving to it was hard to get the initial manual focus

Is there any tips anyone can give for this kind of set up?

Thanks

Last edited:
yes a canon 60mm EF-S

like I say it was super hard as it was moving all the time, the only way i could do it was to move the card it was on till it walked past t
he screen, as it was that small to the DOF was sooo small.

Welcome to the frustrating world of macro :LOL: to get a bit more DOF try using a aperture of f16 and get the camera off the tripod.

Last edited:
Welcome to the frustrating world of macro :LOL: to get a bit more DOF try using a aperture of f16 and get the camera off the tripod.

I had to have it on the tripod coz in my hand any tiiinyyy movement sent it out of focus.

so i tried to focus best stationary so everytime the bug went past it was in focus

maybe a slight change in angle and also upping my F. would have helped.

Nice shots, and good skill to get them, but as has been said - if you had a larger DOF, that showed all of it in focus, it would work better, also, if you can get a front on view [yes I realise that's not easy in this situation...] insect shots look better.

I think insect shots look better out in the field, so get out there and take some proper insect shots now! ;) (y)

I had to have it on the tripod coz in my hand any tiiinyyy movement sent it out of focus.

so i tried to focus best stationary so everytime the bug went past it was in focus

maybe a slight change in angle and also upping my F. would have helped.

Trying to capture bugs from a tripod is a compleate nightmare.....practise hand holding the camera and move the camera backwards / forwards to get focus.

Trying to capture bugs from a tripod is a compleate nightmare.....practise hand holding the camera and move the camera backwards / forwards to get focus.

Thanks, I normally do but this was impossible, it was about as thick as two bits or paper lol

We get desperate this time of year don't we, anything that moves is up for a macro shot now. This is impressive considering it's size :clap:

We get desperate this time of year don't we, anything that moves is up for a macro shot now. This is impressive considering it's size :clap:

Your telling me, I seen it on my front door and captured it! Lol quite sad I know but I got my lens that day! Lol

Back