Tipping

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone really feel the need to tip people? I watched in the barber's a guy tipping the girl even though he had just paid twenty quid for her services.....then notice a couple in the cafe later leaving a couple of pounds on the table when leaving..... It's it not a little dated leaving a tip?

No one leaves me a tip when I finish a job for them and I don't see too many rush to tip any of my colleagues....

If I was to leave a tip for each barber, barmaid or waitress I have calculated that I would be at least a grand worse off per year.....

Does anyone really feel the need to tip people? I watched in the barber's a guy tipping the girl even though he had just paid twenty quid for her services.....then notice a couple in the cafe later leaving a couple of pounds on the table when leaving..... It's it not a little dated leaving a tip?

No one leaves me a tip when I finish a job for them and I don't see too many rush to tip any of my colleagues....

If I was to leave a tip for each barber, barmaid or waitress I have calculated that I would be at least a grand worse off per year.....
It's not just your bat suit that's tight then?

When I had a Pizza Delivery job about 25% tipped, it was like an unexpected bonus.

Always tip the food delivery guy/gal

Don't tip because you feel you are supposed to tip!

Don't tip just because others tip!

I've seen people tip, then grumble about the service. They still tipped because they felt embarrassed not to. Grow out of it!

I recommend everyone be prepared 'not' to tip if you don't want to, and not feel bad about it. You may need to practice. Tipping is 'your' choice.

And of course, tip away, if you liked the service or something. And always feel good about your choice.

Last edited:
I'll tip in a restaurant or cafe when the service has been good and I've not been expected to get up to place my order or pay up front.

I don't use a barber, but wouldn't tip one. Don't think I'd tip a taxi driver either.

Last edited:
I tip only if I feel the service has been excellent. For example a waiter/waitress who goes that extra mile to make you feel welcome and special. Having said that I do tip most times in a restaurant because I find the service great. That is particularly true in Indian and Chinese restaurants.

The thing I object to is a service charge added automatically. I was in an Italian some years ago with three others. It was busy but that did not allow for the delay in getting a menu, someone to take the order and then an extreme delay in the delivery of the meal. No explanation, no apology but clearly there was a problem in the kitchen. When the bill came, it included a 10% service charge. I read this, became incensed and called over the waiter. I explained that the service had been the worse I had experienced and it had taken 2 1/2 hours, with a long gap between courses. So I asked him to remove the service charge, which he did. Within a short space of time I noticed most of the tables around us asking the same. No one had the guts to complain until I started the ball rolling.

I would never pay for a 'service charge' on a restaurant bill, but I would tip if the service was excellent. I generally put a review on Trip Advisor and praise where praise is due, most establishments are aware of Trip Advisor and the affects it can have on a business (both positive and negative).

If the service has been good or the job particularly difficult, I'll tip. If not then why? I rarely tip a taxi driver for example.

I did however, tip a barber this morning for cutting my son's hair. They only charge £4 and the place was heaving. He wasn't badly behaved by any means, quite the opposite in fact but just being a normal one year old made it quite difficult for her.

I always tell them to remove an automatic service charge, even if I'm going to tip.
It's a bloody cheek to include it.
Also, I've never tipped a taxi driver.

Even if they go an extra mile? :)
Not even if they do it in a Daimler.
The cost of travelling by cab is obscene.
Can't remember the last time I used one unrelated to work.

I'll leave a tip if the service in a restaurant is good, not seen a service charge added for a long time in the places I go to.
But what I do object to is the latest idea of adding a tip to your payment via the card machine, supposedly although it goes
into the company's account, it is given back to the employees :thinking:
No thanks I give the relevant member of staff cash if I feel they deserve it

No thanks I give the relevant member of staff cash if I feel they deserve it

Same here. Bugs me that even then they're sometimes required to put them into a central "pot" which is then divvied up between staff at month's end.

Costs me around £25+ to get me home from town in a taxi so definitely no tipping from me.
But I will with somethings if service is good :)

Costs me around £25+ to get me home from town in a taxi so definitely no tipping from me.
But I will with somethings if service is good :)

I got a taxi for a 4 mile journey to be told that it was £15 (£3.74 per mile and ten minute journey) in Folkestone.......in London I was able to travel from Kensal Rise to Stratford via North Circular (Just under 21 miles) for £55 which equates to approx 2.61 per mile ( 1hr and 5 minutes)... Still didn't leave a tip! :)

When people start leaving me tips then I will consider leaving others tips.... :D

I was regularly tipped when shooting weddings back in the 80s usually by the father of the bride who would often say thank you and thrust a £20 in your hand whilst shaking it or slip it into your jacket pocket if my hands were full. Different times, different generation but it was quite common to tip the photographer, chimney sweep and driver back in the day.

I got a taxi for a 4 mile journey to be told that it was £15 (£3.74 per mile and ten minute journey) in Folkestone.......in London I was able to travel from Kensal Rise to Stratford via North Circular (Just under 21 miles) for £55 which equates to approx 2.61 per mile ( 1hr and 5 minutes)... Still didn't leave a tip! :)

It's ridiculous isn't it...I can get a train from here Northampton to Euston London (hour and 20mins ish) and underground pass zone thingies for around £33. That's cheaper than return taxi journeys that are 15/20 mins down the road.

Oh and I'd happily give you a tip!..................
Don't leave home without your trousers! :D

Last place I was in eating the service was very good so I passed a tip to the waitress who refused it, telling me the new policy was all tips go in a pot which is then given to a charity? If I want to give to charity I will but other than being told what was happening to tips I would have been none the wiser and the waitress would not have got it anyway.
So my policy is confused at the moment but I still tip the girl in the hairdresser's at Christmas.

Last edited:
I always tip unless the service is poor

Same here.

Food service, takeaway deliveries, taxi drivers, our postie @ Christmas, etc ........... I even gave a fiver to the bloke delivering a couple of sofa's last week. :LOL:

(as said above, maybe it's a generational thing?)

I always tipped the janitors at my kids school with a case of beer at Christmas and at the end of the school year.

I normally tip in restaurants, unless the service is poor, but I always leave cash for the server rather than add it to the credit card bill.

Our postman is always very helpful and friendly, so he gets £20 at Christmas. Other people tend to get tipped depending on how good a job they do, how much they have charged for the service - and the phase of the moon and the mood that I'm in!

I always tip in any restaurant that I use regularly, I also tip the guys at the hand car wash, they do a good job and I use it regularly. I never complain about service unless I have finished eating, I don't want spit etc in my food....

Apart from folk tipping despite poor service, another thing that bugs me is when someone eats their restaurant meal, pays for it, then whinges about how bad it was.

Same here. Bugs me that even then they're sometimes required to put them into a central "pot" which is then divvied up between staff at month's end.
I can understand that if you feel the waiter/waitress has given exceptional service, you want him/her to benefit. I agree with that view, but I can also see the benefit of team work in sharing the tips.

My Son is head chef at a gastro pub. Their they share the tips between all staff, including kitchen staff, as the have all contributed to making the meal special. In most places he has worked, including 4* hotels, the tips were shared only amongst the waiting staff, or worse still taken by management.

It's always going to be difficult to get the right formula. Often my Son has worked late because of a late order, resulting in a reasonable tip because the customer realised that they have offered a special service. If that tip only went to the waiting staff, then he would not have received recognition for his efforts.

I can understand that if you feel the waiter/waitress has given exceptional service, you want him/her to benefit. I agree with that view, but I can also see the benefit of team work in sharing the tips.

My Son is head chef at a gastro pub. Their they share the tips between all staff, including kitchen staff, as the have all contributed to making the meal special. In most places he has worked, including 4* hotels, the tips were shared only amongst the waiting staff, or worse still taken by management.

It's always going to be difficult to get the right formula. Often my Son has worked late because of a late order, resulting in a reasonable tip because the customer realised that they have offered a special service. If that tip only went to the waiting staff, then he would not have received recognition for his efforts.

Completely understand... Kitchen staff are under recognised; however, some waiting staff are really bad, and them being included in the rewards process is just as wrong IMO.

I've a couple of tips for you.
  1. Stop being tight.
  2. Stop wasting money on taxis.
(y)

Would you tip a bus driver? Train driver?
If not, why not?

Completely understand... Kitchen staff are under recognised; however, some waiting staff are really bad, and them being included in the rewards process is just as wrong IMO.
I completely agree with you - did I really say that:eek:

If all suffer because of one bad egg, then, without the team knowing, no action will be taken. Maybe that is where trip advisor, or a direct complaint to management, will have an effect.

I completely agree with you - did I really say that:eek:

If all suffer because of one bad egg, then, without the team knowing, no action will be taken. Maybe that is where trip advisor, or a direct complaint to management, will have an effect.

Oh I'm all for direct complaints, and do when it's warranted. :)

Would you tip a bus driver? Train driver?
If not, why not?
The fact I don't use either would be reason enough.(y)
The last time I used either was around 35 years ago before I passed my driving test and both bus and train drivers would have been earning more than me then.

Back