Tipping

The fact I don't use either would be reason enough.(y)
The last time I used either was around 35 years ago before I passed my driving test and both bus and train drivers would have been earning more than me then.

It's incorrect to assume that someone who doesn't tip is "tight".

We only normally go out for meals when it's a family birthday and there will be at least 10 of us. I feel sorry for the waiting staff because they have to put up with my wife constantly dithering over her order, the sister-in-laws kids constantly moving from one table to another etc. My father-in-law doesn't even tip 10% he will just round it up to the nearest pound and add another pound. I always round up to the nearest £5 or £10 multiple and add at least another £10.

Would be better if one could read the article without signing up.

I've always refused to pay a service charge anyway.

You can read it on the Telegraph website without signing up. It's misleading anyway, the government are planning a 'consultation' about this to prevent restaurants “from suggesting any specific discretionary payments” to make it an “opt-in decision”. That doesn't necessarily mean this will be implemented.

I don't pay service charges either. I go to a restaurant because I expect service, otherwise I might as well cook and eat the food at home.

The point of the service charge is to save tax - if the customers pays the staff via tips the owner saves on Employer's NIC.
If service charges are scrapped, restaurant prices will increase.

The point of the service charge is to save tax - if the customers pays the staff via tips the owner saves on Employer's NIC.
If service charges are scrapped, restaurant prices will increase.

I don't care.
The only person who decides if the service I have received warrants additional payment is me.
It should never be assumed.

They charge what they think they can get away with. Knowing people will feel embarrassed to dispute it. If we all dispute it, they'll give way.

The important thing is you are aware of the full price when you first order.

Used to tip but no more..... used to but then SWMBO would be in a restaurant here or abroad... and "The bill is £ or EUR xxx. How much shall we leave?" Erm the amount they are asking for.

As for service charge not included... do not beg

As for service charge of 10%... don't assume

Only person who gets a tip is the lovely post lady. She will sign for docs and put them through the door, with a whilst you were out card saying something like "I could see these were important, so thought I'd help you out...".. mind you group of 5 neighbours will all take parcels in on behalf of each other... makes it easier for her, easier for us.

I've lived in New York for a year and I've become accustomed to it... I learned pretty early on that as it's an unavoidable fact of life out here I'd better get used to it rather than wincing each time I hand out an extra c.30% on top of any quoted prices in a restaurant/taxi/hairdresser etc. (sales tax is 9%, plus customary tip of 18-20%... you don't really have to tip on the post-tax amount but most people seem to end up doing so)

I know a few career bartenders in the city - working in a busy bar (doesn't even need to be a particularly fancy one) can net you $100k a year - you work hard for your money though. I don't have a comparison to London bartenders, but I'd be surprised to hear there are many people making close to that in a similar role

I know a few career bartenders in the city - working in a busy bar (doesn't even need to be a particularly fancy one) can net you $100k a year -

Is it just that they put in lots of hours, or is there a `danger` element built in to wages?

Is it just that they put in lots of hours, or is there a `danger` element built in to wages?

I wouldn't say so, no. I don't know any bar tenders who've ever had a problem in the city. If you're getting tipped $1 a drink however (often more) its not too hard to walk with $400+ a night in a busy bar.

I wouldn't say so, no. I don't know any bar tenders who've ever had a problem in the city. If you're getting tipped $1 a drink however (often more) its not too hard to walk with $400+ a night in a busy bar.

Yeah, I guess they all add up. (y) Seems like a decent job tbh.

Yeah, I guess they all add up. (y) Seems like a decent job tbh.

yeah, most I know enjoy it overall. Tough work though... remember an evening shift in a busy NY bar can easily run till 5am at least 4-5 days a week. No last orders at 10.40...

I do not understand the concept of tipping. And service charges.?
why should certain groups of businesses charge extra on top of their price for the product.?
Other businesses have to incorporate all their costs and margins and taxes into the price, they charge you.
Employees should not need to be paid a second time for doing their job.

There seems to be a section of society that expects tips from the section of society that never gets them......?

Tipping is not the only reason i would not go to the USA.
but is just part of their culture.
Out of all the countries in the world the USA is low down in the list of where I want to visit. Been a few times and in my view customer service has gone down hill but the expectation of an ever increasing tip.

I do not understand the concept of tipping. And service charges.?
why should certain groups of businesses charge extra on top of their price for the product.?
Other businesses have to incorporate all their costs and margins and taxes into the price, they charge you.
Employees should not need to be paid a second time for doing their job.

There seems to be a section of society that expects tips from the section of society that never gets them......?
Yes. But a good thing about this services is that you can choose to pay less, if you are not happy.
I wish I could choose a reduction at other places if I'm not happy with the service. So I can show how I feel about it.

Last edited:
My attitude to tipping somewhat changed last year when my teenage daughter took up a part time waitressing job at a pub food chain whilst studying for her A levels. Ever wonder why a lot of waiting staff are teenage boys and girls? Because minimum wage for under 18s is currently £3.89 an hour (was £3.69 when she was working). A six hour shift on a Saturday would result in bringing home barely 20 quid, and that is 6 hours of constantly on the go and on your feet. Any tips received during a shift, (shared out by a formula, but the largest shares going to "table hosts", as well as bar runners, food runners, and kitchen staff) made a significant contribution to her pay.

It also appears that older employees on higher minimum wage rates and also on essentially zero hours contracts would be the first to be stood down as the restaurant quietened down, leaving just the cheapest and youngest staff left.

I suppose there are two responses to this. Either avoid using them completely if you feel that they are cynically exploiting their staff; or if you do eat there, ask yourself how they can manage to offer 2 mains for a tenner, or kids eat free deals, and leave a little tip for the serving staff - unless the service and experience was truly poor, then hold it back as is your right.

Last edited:
You can always give them money directly, without actually eating there if you feel strongly enough about the situation.
Then nothing goes to the businessmen.

Very similar situation here to @DeadpanDodo

Our eldest (now 21) has two waitress jobs. One at home and one at Uni. They're all zero hour contracts (unlike the kitchen staff) and in one instance, the tips are pooled in a pot then shared out equally with all the floor staff (bar, kitchen and restaurant) after tax deductions. The other, she gets to keep 100% of what she earns. When my wife & I go out for dinner, we generally ask the waitress what happens to the tips and make our decision based on that. My daughters scratch around to manage money, studies and part time jobs and work hard for it. I tip thinking (naively perhaps) that I'm helping them out a bit more - just as I hope others are helping out my girls. If the service is bad though. No tip.

We also tip the postie and the window cleaner at Christmas because they're dead nice & helpful.

Sadly - the bin men get nowt. Most of our rubbish ends up scattered over the road to be picked up by residents after they've been. I remember my mum used to tip them though. In the olden days. When they'd collect your bin from round the back & put it back afterwards... ah... /nostalgia

Back