Tips for great self portrait

Name
Irina
Edit My Images
Yes
So basically what do you need for it and how do you do it?

I desperately need proper photo, but many failed attempts. I use iPhone and remotely control camera, but it just is not the same as using camera and I am struggling to focus in manual mode. Would you use auto or any other semi auto modes?
I will get a tripod, but anything else?

Thanks

I've tried the same with controlling the camera from a phone and it is possible but quite a faff, I think you really need a tripod. I have found it easier to set the shot up with someone else sat on a char/stool and the camera on a tripod and then put myself in the shot and either used the phone or self timer or got the other person to push the button

I usually get the camera set up on a tripod, then use a manikin head which can be bought as cheap as chips to set the camera up. Then cover the view finder, remove the manikin head and stool it stood on, push the button to initiate the timer and leg it to the chosen spot.

I use a Hanel wireless remote with my a7r. Auto focus is set to the button on the wireless and it's as easy as that.

Depending on the style you're going for I use a bit of a combination of some of the previously mentioned techniques.
I usually tether my camera to my laptop as I find it a more accurate way to really nail the focus on wide DOF self headshots. Sitting in the position I'm going to take the shot I zoom into my eye and adjust focus accordingly.
Normally I'm shooting indoors too so I make sure my lighting is set correctly by using a light meter and remotely triggering the flash. Again using a tethered laptop means I can check that the picture looks right without moving too far.

On a 6d, wireless control by an iPad or even a laptop,

I'd be tempted to use the iPad or laptop to set up the shot, then put that screen close to the camera and use a remote to fire the camera.

What's wrong with using an iPhone at arms length (like your avatar) is the focal length which isn't flattering.

On a 6d, wireless control by an iPad or even a laptop,

I'd be tempted to use the iPad or laptop to set up the shot, then put that screen close to the camera and use a remote to fire the camera.

What's wrong with using an iPhone at arms length (like your avatar) is the focal length which isn't flattering.

Thanks Phil!
Nothing wrong with phone selfie, but i think i need something more "professional" for my photo page :)

I've tried the same with controlling the camera from a phone and it is possible but quite a faff, I think you really need a tripod. I have found it easier to set the shot up with someone else sat on a char/stool and the camera on a tripod and then put myself in the shot and either used the phone or self timer or got the other person to push the button

Thank you! Will def get a tripod and good idea to set up shot with someone else.

I usually get the camera set up on a tripod, then use a manikin head which can be bought as cheap as chips to set the camera up. Then cover the view finder, remove the manikin head and stool it stood on, push the button to initiate the timer and leg it to the chosen spot.
Which mode is your camera on? How do you focus or it will focus automatically once you stand there?

Depending on the style you're going for I use a bit of a combination of some of the previously mentioned techniques.
I usually tether my camera to my laptop as I find it a more accurate way to really nail the focus on wide DOF self headshots. Sitting in the position I'm going to take the shot I zoom into my eye and adjust focus accordingly.
Normally I'm shooting indoors too so I make sure my lighting is set correctly by using a light meter and remotely triggering the flash. Again using a tethered laptop means I can check that the picture looks right without moving too far.

Did not think of using laptop, but now i see how it can work. Thanks for sharing

Which mode is your camera on? How do you focus or it will focus automatically once you stand there?

I shoot manual and the camera will auto focus. The reason for manual being I don't want the camera telling me how exposed I want the image if it picks up on something which makes it alter my desired exposure. I work out my depth of field using the manikin head and a general sense of the lighting. I then shoot a couple to make sure the lighting suits my preference with me in the shot, then take the shots I want.

Do you know anyone who can sit still for a while ???

If so, set up your 'professional' lighting with your camera on a tripod and take a few practice shots of them, when you have something like the look you're after simply swap positions and get them to press the button a bit

Review and refine until you're happy :)

Of course this only works if you know someone :D

Dave

Do you know anyone who can sit still for a while ???

If so, set up your 'professional' lighting with your camera on a tripod and take a few practice shots of them, when you have something like the look you're after simply swap positions and get them to press the button a bit

Review and refine until you're happy :)

Of course this only works if you know someone :D

Dave

Ah, but would it technically be a self portrait and who would own copyright?

:exit:

Thanks Phil!
Nothing wrong with phone selfie, but i think i need something more "professional" for my photo page :)
Sometimes it helps to do a mutual shoot with another photographer.

Sometimes it helps to do a mutual shoot with another photographer.
^This.

@Iren I'm pretty local to you, over Woolwich direction (and also shoot with a 6D) if you want to do a "mutual shoot" as Phil suggests.

Definitely get a photographer friend to do it for you if one's available.

I've done a few selfies, ranging from camera on tripod with several lights, to camera on a cabinet with bounced on camera flash. If you're shooting tethered, you could put an object where you'll be sitting, manually focus and then swap yourself in. Then either use a timer or a trigger.

IMG_1485684955.383658.jpgthis was on a timer with an off camera flash and reflector

IMG_1485685335.917777.jpg on camera bounced flash using an app on the phone as a trigger, camera perched on a cabinet

I often do selfies when I want to shoot but have nobody to sit for me.

If you're ever up north I'd take your pic, but it looks like you're sorted.

Back