Tips for newbies...........

Edit My Images
No
Ok so I am not a complete newbie but I am still have lots to learn.

So what tips for the newbies would you all give???????

Don't buy anything else other than the basics (body/lens/memory) until you can use the bits you have properly. Then buy things one by one with the same philosophy.

Never buy something because its cheap.

Chris

Don't rely on books and such to learn - get to grasps with the basics of your camera then go out and take as many photos as you physically can, then return and evaluate them all looking at what you could do better. Keep repeating this for certain types of shots, techniques or just generally. I'm quite the noob myself, but it's working for me so far :D

Don't buy anything else other than the basics (body/lens/memory) until you can use the bits you have properly. Then buy things one by one with the same philosophy.

Never buy something because its cheap.

Chris

:agree:

Although I should really practice what I preach :nuts:

Don't lust over camera gear (that's rich coming from me :D )

Learn to use and enjoy what you've got, and don't ever think that spending £1000 on a lens will give you better shots, as it WON'T!

The below shot was taken with a £37 (new!!) lens:

(Click for full size)

One of the most common newnie mistakes has already been mentioned.

Don't buy something because it is cheap.
(OR Only buy what you need or would enjoy using. )

Do shoot lots. But make sure when it goes right you understand why (Ask if necesary) and when it goes wrong understand what not to do again.

Finally, remember, once you get into it you will never be able to take a snapshot again. So if you are out with friends or family learn to get the best shot you can as quick as you can.

I would say, see if you can borrow (or even hire) something prior to buying it, it will likely save a lot of money.

Second, never sell a lens simply because you don't use it very often!

Put it in manual.

Seriously, you'll never learn anything whilst still in the green/auto zones. Shove it into manual, take a shot and see if it came out - if it did, great! If it didn't, experiment with settings and the effects they give and see why...

Learning about 'the theory' can sometimes seem pointless, but if you want to progress from snaps, you gotta do it...

Occasionally go out with the camera with one specific topic in mind for example Close ups, Angles, etc.

It teaches you to look at potential photographs differently and not just walking round taking random photographs.

Don't lust over camera gear (that's rich coming from me :D )

Learn to use and enjoy what you've got, and don't ever think that spending £1000 on a lens will give you better shots, as it WON'T!

The below shot was taken with a £37 (new!!) lens:

(Click for full size)

Yes but if you had a Canon the cat would have been awake :LOL:

Say NO when asked to photograph a wedding :)

why?...not that i have or anything...:thinking::shrug::thinking:

If you are new to photography you don't want to agree to photograph a wedding.

You need a degree of competence with the camera before you start thinking about that

Study the results of what you shoot - the good and the bad to see why it is good and where you went wrong and could do better.

Choose a static object and take it on various settings on your camera and keep downloading onto your computer and workout why one looks better than another, then try different angles and do the same. This will teach you which settings to choose and to look at one subject in different ways. Set a time aside to do this, not when you want to actually take a picture you need :)

Read enough to know about the relationship between shutter, aperture and ISO as well as some basic rules on composition then get out there as much as you can and get your practice in. You'll learn more from those photos that don't turn out as you expected them to (providing you work out why, post here in the forums if you need help on that one) than you will from any book.

During the periods you're not out browse galleries and forums like these and read the pearls of wisdom the pro's and experienced amateurs impart on the rest of us. I love looking at other people's photos for inspiration too.

I am a newbie as well but I am finding looking at other peoples shots to critique them (not always voiced) but helps me learn for me, am not sure that makes sense. I think when you take a photograph you can’t see the mistakes in it like you would someone else’s, its like proof reading, I never see my own typos but can easily spot someone else’s and knowing how they could have improved a shot makes me think about it when I do.

Could be just me I dunno lol

Oh yeah and I agree on the wedding thing, I was asked to do one but not until I am trained would I even consider, its there once chance big day, I wouldn’t risk messing it up, will leave it to the pros.

understanding expsoure by bryan peterson, must read book.
try the challenges on TP, it will help you try more things and make you think about shots.
I find critiquing other people photos, and reading others critique helps me think about photos, and also think about the photos I am taking. Not cutting tops off heads/ feet or arms out of shot for example.

My personal opinion is the lens is more important than the camera... see loads of people on holidays etc. with really expensive SLR's who permanently have it in Auto Mode.

Also when your ready force yourself to shoot in Manual... I'm still new to this and this is helping me a lot...

Duplicate post....

Another recommendation for 'Understanding exposure' - a good book to start with and makes it clear what you can use different shutter speeds for as an example.

Start off in A or S mode then progress to M.

Dont buy any kit until you have researched properly - nothing worse than buying a piece of kit then realising you should have got something different.

Finally - if you see something you want at a good price, get it!

Manual, Manual, Manual... I think the best thing for my photography was I had to start with Manual as 20 years ago all good cameras where manual and if you had AV or TV you where doing well.

I wish someone would release a new digital camera but based on a manual camera like a Pentax K1000... I'd prob rush out and buy it!

If you can shoot in manual and know how to get the result you want I think you are a photographer... otherwise you are good at composition and you use the camera as a fancy pice of tracing paper!!!! Ok maybe that's possibly contreversial to say but if you dont know about reciprical law, hyperfocal focusing, DoF then I'm sorry you are just someone who knows what makes a good pic but not someone who knows how to capture that pic!

LOOK . look through the view finder at the " WHOLE SCENE NOT JUST THE SUBJECT" you might have to move or move the subjct if possible. but it will save you hours on cr@ppy cloning imho

my top 3

1. light. is it harsh dull warm cool " not there"

2. what are you shooting and why

whats in the view finder and can it be made better.

You will see a big jump in your photography due to these imho

md

Back