Tips for planes flyby

Edit My Images
Yes
There seems to be some nice aircraft making a flyby on the Royal wedding day.

I might try to snap some and would be grateful for some tips on how to snap and possible settings.

Kit is Canon 450D, have Sigma 70-300, Tamron 55-200, 50mm kit lens and 28-105.

Thanks

Depends on what shot you want and where you will be, ie is it just the aircraft or are going to be in amongst the crowds and want them in too?

Two tips though, watch your exposure against the bright sky, get south of the flypast line so as to be shooting north.

Thanks, will have to try spot exposure I guess.

When they do flybys it usually passes over my house, but not sure if I'll be out and about (not in central London area though).

I'm guessing the 70-300 would be the best option?

i believe they'll have a lancaster out tomorrow!!

i believe they'll have a lancaster out tomorrow!!

Yup, last time they flew past it was an awesome sight.

Military chiefs on Friday detailed the military involvement including the flypast, at 130pm over Buckingham Palace, which will involve the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane aircraft.

They will be followed 30 seconds later by two Typhoons and two Tornado GR4s which will fly past in a box formation.

If shooting anything flying with a prop then you want to get the shutter speed down a bit so that there is some movement. For the jets you can crank the shutter speed up to help stop camera shake/motion blur. I would give about 1/320s or less a bash for the prop aircraft just make sure to pan smoothly.

Exposure is also key, personally I would go with manual exposure but if you are not happy to do so then depending on the sky and direction of sun to subject you might need to dial in some exposure compensation.

what are the chances of the typhoon and tornado being fully loaded as it flies off to libya straight after?

The planes did pass by my way and were great, but it was much more difficult to take pics of than I thought.

I managed to get 7 shots of the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane and 9 of the jets. Sadly none spetacular :(

You needed a slower shutter speed for the prop ones as you want to see some movement in the props. Too late now but keep in mind for the next time.

Back