Wales Tips for Snowdon

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to go up Snowdon but not till mid June.

Anyone got any tips on the best paths to walk up and down? Nothing too extreme. As for picture taking do I need to take a tripod or will i be ok handheld?

Should I take any filters at all? Was thinking maybe just a polariser.

Take the grockles path from Llanberis. You can't get lost. Just follow the crowds. It's easy - I've ridden a bike up that route.
Other paths are more exacting and need some mountain experience.
Can't advise on tripods/filters until you are more specific on the type of photography you will be doing. But for normal happy snappy tripper shots you should be OK with just your camera.

Just looking to do some landscape shots, not really into long exposures, also my current camera won't allow longer then 2 minutes I'm bulb mode :(

Some will say take grads to compensate for the sky. Others will say bracket your exposures and save carrying the gear. Your choice.

As well as being the easiest the Llanberis path is also the longest and probably the least interesting!

You could catch the bus (frequent service) up to Pen-y-pass from Llanberis and head off up the PyG path which is the one I usually do. You get great views eastwards and then as you reach Bwlch Moch on the railway line the whole westward vista suddenly opens up. It can be quite mind-blowing. Parking at Penypass costs £10 a day and is usually full despite that.

The problem is getting high enough up while the sun is relatively low. in mid-June the day will be at its longest and the sun at its highest. If you're feeling adventurous you could head off, say mid-afternoon, to arrive early evening and the light will be a bit more directional by then. You'd need a good torch to finish the descent but the paths are pretty easy to follow.

i'd say take a polariser and a ND grad or two. A tripod could be overkill on such a long day.

Last edited:
As Jerry says the Llanberis Pass is the least photogenic, the Miners or Pyg Track are much better so up by one of these and down the Llanberis would be a good idea. The crowds at the summit are going to be pretty large too so if you can set out late and stay around after the last train has left you'll find it a little quieter and any haze should die away late in the day so a better chance of clearer views... if the usual cloud isn't hugging the summit that is.

Simon

There is a park and ride half way along Llanberis pass, park there and get the bus to pen-y-pass then walk the Pyg track to the summit. Head down the Llanberis path then get the bus back to the park and ride. Or you could head to cadair idris which is a lot quieter and has better views!!

LOL, Lanberis path is what you make it. Theres beauty everywhere around Snowdon. Don't think of just the mountain, the lakes, the scenery, just everywhere.
163005100.jpg

So it's long, easiest (apart from the steep start) and families walk it. We went up in grotty weather and people were hugely improperly dressed. Think women in heels, little fur sleeveless top etc.
Path wise I've walked all, only you know your capabilities but dont underestimate how quickly the weather can change, or how much colder/windier it is further up.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/guides/snowdon-routes-to-the-top/

Personally I like Rhyd-Dhu. We stayed in the village opposite the pub, didnt make it all the way up this time as the weather was foul but the scenes were just stunning.

162964733.jpg

163005102.jpg

162962309.jpg

I really like the walk up the Rhyd Ddu path (didn't make it to the top admittedly, but really enjoyed the walk to the point we got to), Pyg track is a good walk and gives fantastic views over the lakes, Llanberis path is the easiest route up but also the longest. No matter which route you take they will all be busy and will all have plenty of idiots in inappropriate clothing, once you get to the top it is stupidly busy. But, it's a cracking walk with fantastic views and there is plenty to photograph as you go. In mid June during daylight hours you won't really need a tripod, a monopod might well help a little as you get more fatigued just to help steady the camera but there isn't really a need for a full tripod and the weight penalty that goes with it. Filters wise i am an advocate of them and so would always take them with me anyway but plenty of others prefer bracketing.

That pano is beauty mate! That needs to be huge on a fireplace

Cheers for all the replies. Think I'll leave the tripod behind then, I have some filters so will make sure there in my bag.

As for the routes I had read Llanberis pass was known as the motor way! Looking to do one route up and a different one down.

Hoping the weather will be nice than when I went up in August 2013 when it was low cloud and strong winds, looking forwards to walking it over getting the train last time.

its gotta happen some time....... it will be the day before or after you go.......or you sleep in......

Back