Tips for youtube channel?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Anyone got any general tips? I started one back in September and just did it as a bit of a distraction to be honest what with everything going on in the world and at work, it's a general channel not a photography specific one, there's also some growing / gardening creeping in, a lot about my Mazda bongo for other owners and a few photography ones.

I currently use shotcut for editing and found davinci a bit complicated to be honest but just wondered if anyone had any tips to share?

I have no idea about running a youtube channel or creating videos but if you want to grow your following, I think you need to find a niche and stick to it. The gardeners aren't going to subscribe for very long when you starting releasing Mazda Bongo videos and vice verse.

I did dabble with DaVinci for a bit when I bought My Mavic. It's quite complex but I found this channel on youtube very helpful. I know the videos are for an older version but I'm sure most of it is still relevant

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUGnvCXQDPo&list=PLyHr4tji72rUvEooOCYTJVyjIzRcJp3b0

I've uploaded on and off to 3 or 4 channels for over ten years, every now and then you get a video starts to take off and youtube promotes it - it can get a bit silly with many thousands of views when you might normally only get 100 or so.
While it's nice to see more views and subscribers I really don't much care either way and as much as anything do them for a few friends and ex-locals who I know like to watch - and for myself months/years later.
There is no incentive for average user now they have made monetizing much harder to achieve and even when it was easier you only made peanuts.

It will probably help get subscriber numbers up if you interact more (through comments) with channels uploading similar stuff.
Within reason technical aspects aren't that important.
A good title and thumbnail can bring a lot of new traffic.

Last edited:
I have no idea about running a youtube channel or creating videos but if you want to grow your following, I think you need to find a niche and stick to it. The gardeners aren't going to subscribe for very long when you starting releasing Mazda Bongo videos and vice verse.

I did dabble with DaVinci for a bit when I bought My Mavic. It's quite complex but I found this channel on youtube very helpful. I know the videos are for an older version but I'm sure most of it is still relevant

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUGnvCXQDPo&list=PLyHr4tji72rUvEooOCYTJVyjIzRcJp3b0

I'll have another look at Davinci, I know its quite powerful but at the moment shotcut seems to do what I need. Maybe I'll outgrow it :)

I've uploaded on and off to 3 or 4 channels for over ten years, every now and then you get a video starts to take off and youtube promotes it - it can get a bit silly with many thousands of views when you might normally only get 100 or so.
While it's nice to see more views and subscribers I really don't much care either way and as much as anything do them for a few friends and ex-locals who I know like to watch - and for myself months/years later.
There is no incentive for average user now they have made monetizing much harder to achieve and even when it was easier you only made peanuts.

It will probably help get subscriber numbers up if you interact more (through comments) with channels uploading similar stuff.
Within reason technical aspects aren't that important.
A good title and thumbnail can bring a lot of new traffic.

Aye, I really do it for myself, not expecting to make any money from it at all. I'll give more thought to the titles / thumbnails.

Sound is important, people will tolerate shaky video but if the sound is poor that's a killer,

I did a bongo one a week or 2 ago and the wind was terrible so i bought one of them tiny muff things and a mic so i could do the sound on the iphone in my pocket on the lapel mic but video on the go pro. Its better but not perfect.

As long as you don't use your scooter in it. :eek:

Back