Tips on shooting at Snetterton, first timer

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks,

I am heading for Snetterton for the BTCC in a couple of weeks.

I wlll be taking my 7D and 100-400 as well as a 10-22 and 15-85

I should be getting a pit pass and hopefully a media pass.

A few questions:-

• Do I need to wear something florescent/hi vis if I get over the wall ?
  • Any tips on where best to shoot?
  • Any general advice as I haven't shot motorsport at a track before

Thanks in advance

I'd say the most important things are good boots, good waterproofs and warm clothes - Snetterton is twinned with Siberia and it can get fiercely cold there!

Drivers are much too busy to look out for vests. Just stay out of their way and don't turn your back on approaching cars

The track layout has changed since I was last there. But the outside of the Bombhole can be interesting as cars lift wheels there

The inside of the first corner can be quite good but the armco used to be about 18" tall and you're in the firing line. I had someone lockup their rear wheels & spin straight towards me when standing there. He got back to the paddock with a nice armco imprint in the rear wing of his Healey

I'd see what everyone else is doing but don't fall into the trap of staying in the same place too long. Keep moving - you don't want the same photo 300 times

Nick Froome

If you are granted media access, then you'll be given a numbered vest when you sign on, that you'll need to return at the end of the day.

There will be dozens of other media photographers there on the day who will know all the best places to shoot from throughout the day as the sun moves around and it wouldn't do you any wrong to watch where they stand. Don't stand in the one place throughout each race - move around to different corners for different angles. Throughout the day you should be able to cover most of the track but be prepared for a lot of walking. There are typically only 5 - 10 minute gaps between races when it's safe to cross the track. If you need to cross to the other side (e.g. for podium shots), get yourself in a suitable position towards the end of the current race (ie don't try to walk across 500m of gravel trap :D) Chances are you will be exposed to the elements for much of the day, so take a hat/suncream (and plenty to drink) if the forecast is nice, warm waterproof clothes (plus something to keep your equipment dry) if it's going to be wet.

Have a look through the Motorsports forum on here for previous events at Snetterton, and previous BTCC races to geet a feel for the type and angle of shots you like. You should be trying to capture an essence of the speed and movement of the cars so you may be using much lower shutter speeds than you are used to if you haven't shot motorsport before. If you use too fast a shutter speed, then the cars will be pin sharp, but with no blurring of the wheels or background they will look as though they are stationary on the circuit. Don't expect a 100% keeper rate, and as you'll probably take upwards of 1,000 shots during the day you can use the time between races to review your shots in camera and delete the obviously bad ones. It will save you lots of time when you get home and keep plenty of space on your memory cards. Before each race starts, check how much photos you can take before your memory card is filled, and swap to a new one if needed. Sods law dictates that a shot-worthy incident will happen right on front of you just as your card fills or whilst you are swapping to a fresh one :D

John

Thanks both of you :)

I will be there Saturday for practice and Sunday for the races so I should get a chance to get familiar with the circuit etc.... I will be there to watch a bunch of the racing as well as shooting so should be able to balance both.

I am really looking forward to this having never done a true track event before, only having done a festival of speed before.

I will have to practice panning with my 100-400 which should be interesting, BBF should make it easier to keep the car in focus while panning....

Snetterton is an interesting one this year as its a revised circuit. Whilst its been used for a few months, not all the BTCC togs will know where to go. As such expect to see lots flock to the old favourites, last chicane, second chicane at the end of the straight on the outside, first corner on the outside.

However these positions are not very well places with the sun in the morning, so i would recommend having a look around the infield for the first race.

I can't give too much advice as i've only shot this circuit once since its regeneration.

I will be there Sat and Sunday so by all means say hi and I'm happy to help if i can.

Remember a deposit for the Tabbard - i often forget and there goes all my lunch money for the day.

Panning isn't the holy grail of motorsports photography, just an element. So don't worry yourself too much. With 400mm on a 1.6 crop you will have plenty of focal length for some more interesting head on shots.

Lastly, stay safe, try not to stand in places that don't allow you to get out of there sharpish. Snetterton is a very safe circuit with huge areas for trackside togs to meander around/run away from cars, so you should be fine.

Last edited:
Snetterton is an interesting one this year as its a revised circuit. Whilst its been used for a few months, not all the BTCC togs will know where to go. As such expect to see lots flock to the old favourites, last chicane, second chicane at the end of the straight on the outside, first corner on the outside.

However these positions are not very well places with the sun in the morning, so i would recommend having a look around the infield for the first race.

I can't give too much advice as i've only shot this circuit once since its regeneration.

I will be there Sat and Sunday so by all means say hi and I'm happy to help if i can.

Remember a deposit for the Tabbard - i often forget and there goes all my lunch money for the day.

Panning isn't the holy grail of motorsports photography, just an element. So don't worry yourself too much. With 400mm on a 1.6 crop you will have plenty of focal length for some more interesting head on shots.

Lastly, stay safe, try not to stand in places that don't allow you to get out of there sharpish. Snetterton is a very safe circuit with huge areas for trackside togs to meander around/run away from cars, so you should be fine.

Great advice, thank you very much I will try to bear it in mind...

Not sure how to spot you, but you can see enough pictures of me around so feel free to come introduce yourself and say hello :)

I will be setup in the media centre. Im the slightly scruffy 23 year old with glasses and canon kit.

I will keep an eye out for you :)

I will be 7D on an R strap with a 100-400 and a green and black backpack :)

of touring cars... are you feeling ok Gary? Your aware they count the race times in mins not hrs?

old mate of mine has a guest pass.. havent seen him in years, so i thought i'd make the most of the old MSV season media pass :)
I'm assuming your allowed to use it for pleasure as well as business :)

Bummer....

No media pass, just a pit pass....

Can't complain too loudly I guess, still should be a great weekend :)

mipevo6 said:
Bummer....

No media pass, just a pit pass....

Can't complain too loudly I guess, still should be a great weekend :)

If you've got a pit pass then pop into the media centre & explain that you'll be taking photos in the pit lane.....

Ask politely if you should be wearing a media vest.....

More often than not they'll give you one.

The circuit is now yours to roam ;)

If you've got a pit pass then pop into the media centre & explain that you'll be taking photos in the pit lane.....

Ask politely if you should be wearing a media vest.....

More often than not they'll give you one.

The circuit is now yours to roam ;)

This is very dangerous and also leaves you and the circuit potentially uninsured.

Do not do this.

You're right about the weather at Snet - its either blazing hot or freezing cold, sometimes both on the same day!

Haven't really got any good tips about cars on the new bit, did a little recce with the porka media day earlier in the season but other than that I've shot BSB there... which is not really the same thing you are looking for, I doubt if BTCC will wheelie out of Agostini :D

One tip I will give you, following the infield round to the inside of Palmer (turn 3) will leave you 20 mins from the podium!

dunganick said:
This is very dangerous and also leaves you and the circuit potentially uninsured.

Do not do this.

I am fully insured and all paperwork was completed as per circuit requirements, I'm not suggesting that Joe Public should blag there way onto a live racing circuit.

I am fully insured and all paperwork was completed as per circuit requirements, I'm not suggesting that Joe Public should blag there way onto a live racing circuit.

So what are you suggesting?

I read you suggested they ask politely for a media bib on the day and see if they provide one?

What would the circuit say if a photographer that wasn't accredited for the event or a season/series pass holder was killed that should not be there?

"The circuit is now yours to roam"

Had a great weekend at Snetterton...

What a nice circuit for spectators....

I shot a huge number of pictures mostly blah as I was trying to do too much at once... panning, racing, and ending up with a shutterspeed often too slow....

I posted a couple of shots from the many on my Flickr...

Day 1 shots

Back