Tiring

Name
Darryl
Edit My Images
No
Just received an email about an upcoming rugby tournament, usual thing, we'll happily take your pictures with credit, but we've no budget for this event.

I try to support local rugby, but the venue isn't close and, although this is a local'ish paper, they were bought out recently by Trinity Mirror and have a much bigger regional parent, which I'm sure would also feature the images.

I know, I know, I can just ignore it, freebie requests seem to come in more often than not these days.

Yes and then you meet them in person and they have a brand new Audi and £600 phone. But they cant pay you a penny because there is no money available for you.

Sod the local rag. If they print a pic, its in the recycling the following day. I won't give away to the press for free, credit or otherwise. 1. I don't want to put their few remaining snappers out of work, 2. if its good enough, its worth paying for. End of.

If your photos are published then what are the chances of the picture editor saying "Those are great, I want this man's work in future so we must pay him" Or do you think they'll just ask you to continue working without payment, and then find someone else if you say you can't afford to 'do freebies' anymore? That's the gamble, so what are the odds of a pay-out? Has 'doing a freebie' lead to any good and regular paid work for you in the last 18 months or so?

In the meantime, if you're not receiving any money for your photos then you're not working for free... it's actually costing you money. If you've not done so already, perhaps calculate what your actual expenses are (wear and tear on camera kit, car, clothes, etc.; repairs and renewals on those; fuel cost; insurance cost [business use on your car as well as camera kit]; etc.) and don't do a job unless you at least cover the cost of those. That way you'll be working for free and not spending your own money to subsidise someone else's business.

Last edited:
If your photos are published then what are the chances of the picture editor saying "Those are great, I want this man's work in future so we must pay him" Or do you think they'll just ask you to continue working without payment, and then find someone else if you say you can't afford to 'do freebies' anymore? That's the gamble, so what are the odds of a pay-out? Has 'doing a freebie' lead to any good and regular paid work for you in the last 18 months or so?

In the meantime, if you're not receiving any money for your photos then you're not working for free... it's actually costing you money. If you've not done so already, perhaps calculate what your actual expenses are (wear and tear on camera kit, car, clothes, etc.; repairs and renewals on those; fuel cost; insurance cost [business use on your car as well as camera kit]; etc.) and don't do a job unless you at least cover the cost of those. That way you'll be working for free and not spending your own money to subsidise someone else's business.

This is good general advice for anyone who dips into this thread when they wonder if they should try sports and dealing with those picture editors.

Just received an email about an upcoming rugby tournament, usual thing, we'll happily take your pictures with credit, but we've no budget for this event.

I try to support local rugby, but the venue isn't close and, although this is a local'ish paper, they were bought out recently by Trinity Mirror and have a much bigger regional parent, which I'm sure would also feature the images.

I know, I know, I can just ignore it, freebie requests seem to come in more often than not these days.
All you do is say " I don't do free I can do the photos for £50 let me know".

There is no need to go into predictions or philosophical debates.

If they don't pay then you don't do simple as. :)

Don't say no to it I'd love to be in your shoes. Doing sports photography.

Back