To the Gate

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in Dover and I did promise to take my O/H to the white cliffs before we departed to France, well a long wait for lunch spoilt most of that idea.
We got to the National Trust gate 40 mins befor I had to book in for my Ferry so our time was cut short.
Anyway, enough of the rubbish, After a little walk we came to this gate, when I looked back I saw this view and thought it looked good enough to take a shot.
What do you think ?

Through the bushes by Graham, on Flickr

I love take with a channel of some sort in them but
this one doesn't offer the darker light expected in
the "tunnel". I tried it and it works very well! :cool:

I love take with a channel of some sort in them but
this one doesn't offer the darker light expected in
the "tunnel". I tried it and it works very well! :cool:

I disagree, not everything has to be dark and hard to see, even if its not sitting in the sun. Nor does it have to be dark and hard to see to be moody - nor does everything need to be "moody".

I like it - it has a nice summer vibe to it.

How surprising! :cool:

You and I have a very different perceptions or tastes
for images, the world and their respective renditions.
Fair enough.

Summer?
I remember sunny summers being harsher! :)
True. It's the lovely soft light you get when there are clouds in the sky and those lovely green colours - delicious.

It's the lovely soft light you get when there are clouds in the sky and those lovely green colours - delicious.

Like these maybe? :)

the%20bushespp.jpg

Like these maybe? :)

It's got more punch to it, but it loses the ethereal feel of the first. In yours the gate appears dark and in shadow, in the original rendition you can see the detail and the lovely weathered colour of the wood. However it is not all bad, your rendition has more contrast and a little more richness to it.

The OP is probably best thinking of a "halfway house" between the two.

LRM_EXPORT_20170503_202159.jpg
I had another go at it in between Steve and Daniel bashing it out over my original photo [emoji23] [emoji23]

Je peux vivre en désaccord mais pas dans la discorde!

I could not translate that, sorry! :(

I will come back when the arguing is over.

I disagree, not everything has to be dark and hard to see, even if its not sitting in the sun. Nor does it have to be dark and hard to see to be moody - nor does everything need to be "moody".

I like it - it has a nice summer vibe to it.
Thanks very much Steve, I understand everyone has different views, yours are lighter and Daniel's are darker.
Thanks for the comment and for stopping by.

The difference I see between the original and the offering by Kodiak is whilst the original would make a cover for a box of chocolates Kodiak's version has an air of mystery about it.

Last edited:
The difference I see between the original and the offering by Kodiak is whilst the original would make a cover for a box of chocolates Kodiak's version has an air of mystery about it.

What? …that work for ONE box of chocolates !!! :jawdrop:

Since you see there is some kind of mystery, just
make sure it is a least TWO boxes of Black Magic! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Please… :p

Move over kodiak, their my chocolates [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Last edited:
Somewhere between the 2 edits is my feel as Kodiak has rendered it too dark for my tatste you edit loses the shadows Graham.

How about this even though it is not as subtle as it could be

Not my shot 2017-13 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Somewhere between the 2 edits is my feel as Kodiak has rendered it too dark for my tatste you edit loses the shadows Graham.

How about this even though it is not as subtle as it could be

Not my shot 2017-13 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Thanks Alf, all edits are welcome and a nice edit too, I'm on my phone atm so I'll look at it later. Thanks for stopping by.

Aren't gates always supposed to be open or ajar at least to offer a visual 'way through'......?

Aren't gates always supposed to be open or ajar at least to offer a visual 'way through'......?
I like to be different [emoji14]
Actually, I saw this as thru the bushes to the gate.

Last edited:
Nice location and good visualisation on what you wanted... I like the original edit the best on here so far, there is plenty of play with it though and many variations on styling to be had.

Nice location and good visualisation on what you wanted... I like the original edit the best on here so far, there is plenty of play with it though and many variations on styling to be had.
Cheers Bryn [emoji106]

For my 2d I like the last 2 edits nice to see the path meandering on past the gate. It's a lovely shot. I think the gate "Open" is a different shot, but you'd have to wedge it open for that as these gates are generally spring assisted. Better not speak to Farmer's about leaving gates open through! The only comment I have to make is regarding the foreground foliage. I always struggle in my own mind with foliage in the immediate foreground being OOF, I guess its fine here as the focus is on the gate and that's is where the eye is being drawn to.
Nice work (whichever edit you like ;))
(y)

For my 2d I like the last 2 edits nice to see the path meandering on past the gate. It's a lovely shot. I think the gate "Open" is a different shot, but you'd have to wedge it open for that as these gates are generally spring assisted. Better not speak to Farmer's about leaving gates open through! The only comment I have to make is regarding the foreground foliage. I always struggle in my own mind with foliage in the immediate foreground being OOF, I guess its fine here as the focus is on the gate and that's is where the eye is being drawn to.
Nice work (whichever edit you like ;))
(y)

Thanks 69bonnie, always nice to know how people think about other edits. As said before, I like to be different which is why I left the gate closed.

Back