Today IS THE DAY

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Right today is the day that i going to PRESS the BUY Button

Sigma 105 Macro OR Sigma 150 Macro

I am trying to decide between the 2 baring in mind the £100 price difference. Alot people say both are very good lens.

I decided to go for the 105 Sigma but was then put of as was told to get the 150 as it better got better focusing.

So the question is HOW MUCH better is the 150 is it worth the extra etc

The Sigma 150mm is quite possibly the best macro lens ever made.

The 105mm isn't even the best macro in that range, I'd choose a Tamron 90mm first.

Decision made for you - hit BUY :)

I had a Sigma 105mm and it was a fab lens for both macro and portraits - lovely and sharp too (I sold it as I rarely used it). I suppose it depends what you ultimately want to photograph with it and whether the extra 45mm given to you by the 150mm lens will make a difference :shrug:

I had a Sigma 105mm and it was a fab lens for both macro and portraits - lovely and sharp too (I sold it as I rarely used it). I suppose it depends what you ultimately want to photograph with it and whether the extra 45mm given to you by the 150mm lens will make a difference :shrug:

I dont think the extra 45mm Bothers me that much but a few people says the 150 got a better Focus point with it HSM or somthing

Which one do YOU want?

Straight question, no choices, no umm's and arrr's. Which lens are YOU feeling like you want?

That the point I cant just decide which I want as I cant find anywhere local who got the 150mm for me to handle....

Focusing speed / hsm etc will probably not make much differance as you will find you will use manual focus almost all of the time for macro work - i.e moving the camera backwards & forwards to focus your shots, It would be worth phsically looking at both lens's before buying as the 150mm is heaver & bigger and may affect your ability to hand hold.

105mm 460g & 31.3cm minimum focusing distance.
150mm 895g & 38cm minimum focusing distance.

which one u got mate?

I got a local shop to get a 150mm for me to handle then I can see which I like he said I dont have to buy.... So I going back tmr to handle the 105 and the 150 to see which I prefer then order online.

But to add to this someone is now offereing me a 4 weeks old Canon 100mm Macro for £230
And
Someone is offering me a 3 weeks Old sigma 105mm for £180

I know there £50 different between the 2 but which is the better kit

One thing to remember is if you want to go to 2:1 the 105 is bad enough on 3 extension tubes I hate to think how a 150 on the end of said extension tubes would feel at nearly twice the weight. A right bugger to hold still I should imagine.

I aint a clue how long these tubes are. send us a photo with your lens with the tubes on be interested.

Now it down to either the 105mm or the canon 100mm that i been offered for £230

The 105 the barrel extends and on the 100 it doesn't image wise not a lot between them, bet you couldn't tell which lens took what if two images were put before you. Here is the 105 with a full set of tubes.
2828362556_5b6cd2fa9a_o.jpg

I aint a clue how long these tubes are. send us a photo with your lens with the tubes on be interested.

Now it down to either the 105mm or the canon 100mm that i been offered for £230

It might be worth just getting a lens to start with to see how you get on with macro photography - It can be very frustrating trying to get a sharp / clear image at 1:1 with a good DOF when your subject is blowing in the wind or keeps flying - crawling or slithering away, adding tubes just makes everything harder and you will probably need some off camera Flashes as the tubes take away a lot of light when your at f11 and above, and the tubes/lens will render your on camera flash useless.

Lovely kit you got that is that the sigma flash?

Hmmmmm see what comes

By the sound of things and reading up onthe net the sigma 105 is the way to go for value of money and it a great lens on extension tubes... So think i go down this route... This way i can get the whole kit that is within my budget

Are extension tubes good

Hi
I had a 150 sigma and just could'nt get on with it, no matter how hard I tried I would rarely get a sharp picture, they were always soft and with extension tubes it was like holding a telescope. I have seen breathtaking photos other people have taken with this lens but it just did'nt work for me. Just got the sigma 105 and it is a different world, nearly all my shots are clear and much easier to use than the 150 with extension tubes. A lot of top macro photographers use the 105 instead of the 150 but at the end of the day its up to you.

Huw

Hence the reason I am getting a Sigma 105 tmr :)

Back