Togs Behaving Badly - Red Arrows Runway Photographers

Edit My Images
Yes
Red Arrows runway photographers 'risking lives'

The Red Arrows has warned spectators not to "endanger themselves" after training was stopped due to people standing too close to the runways.

Full story on BBC News

Right now I'm thinking 'what a bloody ridiculous thing to do'.
But I'd be thinking differently if I had my camera in my hand! I've endangered my own safety/life on occasion (nobody else's...)
to get 'that' shot, and will continue to do so.
And I've broken the law. When I'm in the zone I'll do anything to get my shot!!

However, endangering a pilot's safety is another matter...

Seems strange - they are on private land near the approach, so not actually near the runway? Why's that an issue for the Red Arrows yet not for say an airliners approach over houses at Heathrow, or Maho beach?

I believe there's "history" behind this, FighterControl will no doubt have a long thread on the ins, outs and longstanding grudges..

Seems strange - they are on private land near the approach, so not actually near the runway? Why's that an issue for the Red Arrows yet not for say an airliners approach over houses at Heathrow, or Maho beach?

I must be missing something, the article say's they were on the center line of each runway

They also come in very low, ground hugging low, as part of their traing

The only thing I can guess is that people are going into the area of extended threshold (where the lights extend out into the fields at the end of the runway) these lights are outside of the perimeter fence and just arable farmland, the only danger I could particular see is distraction of pilots, and of course if the was a serious failure a likely crash site is going to be the extended threshold

Over all however it does strike be as being a little over the top when it comes to the reaction and if it were such a sensitive area of operations ultimately the bases would have been built with the extended threshold within the perimeter fence

People on the approach to a runway, that never happens, no wonder they decided to go all H&S...

;)

I must be missing something, the article say's they were on the center line of each runway

They also come in very low, ground hugging low, as part of their traing

Outside the base on the centre line on the approach but on private land.
Red arrows generally don't come in low, there's strict rules about height and where they can fly low. Ground hugging on approach isn't one of them, especially for the display team.

Since the red arrows take off and at times land in formation or numbers, it makes for a good spectacle.

At scamp ton at either end of the runway is a public road, not far from the perimeter fence. I can only guess some are walking onto the field, under the approach, and some don't like it, but there's no other such restrictions anywhere else in civil aviation.

Raft lyneham, had the approach lights across a field and in a house back garden.

Outside the base on the centre line on the approach but on private land.
Red arrows generally don't come in low, there's strict rules about height and where they can fly low. Ground hugging on approach isn't one of them, especially for the display team.

Since the red arrows take off and at times land in formation or numbers, it makes for a good spectacle.

At scamp ton at either end of the runway is a public road, not far from the perimeter fence. I can only guess some are walking onto the field, under the approach, and some don't like it, but there's no other such restrictions anywhere else in civil aviation.

Raft lyneham, had the approach lights across a field and in a house back garden.

Thanks for the explanation. (y)

Back