togsPrint - Monthly Photo Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

We're pleased to launch our NEW monthly competition from togsPrint.

Each month, the theme will be something different to keep you on your toes. And each month, the prizes will vary.

This months theme is: Early Mornings

The competition winner will receive:

-Framed (of your choice) 20 x 16 print of the winning picture
-£25 money off vouchers from our store
-Entry into our 'Wall of Fame' in our new Printing Studio in West Yorkshire where your print will be displayed to the pubic for a grand final in December.

2 lucky runners up will receive:

-a complimentary 16 x 12 glossy print
-£10 money off vouchers from our store

You can enter online here: http://www.togsprint.com/?page=comp

Upload your picture, complete the form and we'll be in touch after the judging has taken place.

Many thanks,

Lee

Very generous of your company to do this Lee, I look forward to entering :) Is there a cut off date for entries? I couldn't see one :shake:

Hi Alex

No worries :) We're looking forward to seeing the entries.

Cut off is the last day of the month at lunch time. I will add this to the site also for confirmation.

Judging will take place at 5PM once all images have been received.

Many thanks,

Lee

Do they have any professional qualifications, or others of esteem such as ARPS?

Are you judging along the lines of PAGB suggestions?

Do you really think professional qualifications makes a person a better judge? I know some great amateurs and quite a few 'professionals' (ARPS etc) who I wouldn't want taking my holiday snaps for me.

I am interested in finding out more about PAGB suggestions though - do you have a link or something?

Ian

Do you really think professional qualifications makes a person a better judge? I know some great amateurs and quite a few 'professionals' (ARPS etc) who I wouldn't want taking my holiday snaps for me.

I am interested in finding out more about PAGB suggestions though - do you have a link or something?

Ian

My 10 year old has a camera he got for Christmas, as does my 16 yr old - if I ran a comp would you be happy knowing they were your judges?

Qualifications mean something - they don't mean you'll always agree with the judge & they don't mean you'll like the judge's work, but they show a level of accepted technical competence sufficient to at least have some meaning to their judgment

PAGB guidelines are not published to the general public, I meant that only as a comparative reference. LeeP is within the YPU region and thus may have a YPU approved judge ???

Qualifications mean something - they don't mean you'll always agree with the judge & they don't mean you'll like the judge's work, but they show a level of accepted technical competence sufficient to at least have some meaning to their judgment

Of course you are right, and I would rather be judged by someone who is technically competent. My point really was that even some professionally qualified photographers produce work which is fit only for toilet paper, likewise there are some very experienced and competent unqualified amateurs.

If given a choice I would rather be judged by the latter than the former. But obviously a judge as you described would be much better.

For my last competition I had an aviation historian, and aviation publishing executive and 2 purchasers of aviation prints and artwork. It is the purchasers who I feel make the best judges, as they are the ones who would ultimately put their money where their vote is.

Thankyou for clarifying your point about the PAGB regulations.

In the commercial world -you Airscene - are correct too

Doesn't matter a damn if I like it, anyone on TP likes it, any qualified judge likes it - if the client likes it, it's good!

This is an argument of mine I seem to have often about skin tones on portraits - for another time perhaps...

:LOL: That was supposed to be an edit - how do I delete one?? :LOL:

Not sure if we mortals actually can - mods do though

You can delete the text in the entry though with the edit button on the right, still leaves an empty post I think

DD

Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a rush here so i'll be brief but will update all shortly.

I have 1 professional judge (Bill W) who is one of the main judges for the Northumberland area.

There are no uploading guidelines - however if you only upload low resolution, we'll be chasing you for a high resolution should your entry come in the top three (for printing purposes).

This isn't a be-all and end-all competition. This is for everyone - amateur and professional to showcase their work where they wouldn't normally do so.

Even more so if you don't attend camera clubs etc.

This year will all be judged the same - however next year we have some more ideas already popping into the business.

Bill W ???

Not meaning to be a pain Lee - but 'Bill W' as a professional judge? What does that mean and who is Bill W?

Link to Bill W's site? Biography? What is a professional judge? He gets a tenner? £1,000?

If this info is clear, and valid, then it adds great credibility to your offer, otherwise I'm afraid it just sounds a bit naff

Maybe my Paranoia is getting the better of me again :LOL:

DD,

I'm respecting the privacy of Bill at the moment as I can't get hold of him to confirm if he'd like his name plastered on here :)

I've been in touch with Colin at YPU regarding Yorkshire judges as would prefer more local people being involved anyway. Also means travelling around isn't quite as expensive. If you know of any affiliated judges and don't mind passing on their info then please do :)

Whoever comes on the panel will be required to judge 13 competitions across the year in

Bill is a good friend of mine and has been for a few years. He's doing this for free - as am I. I'm not wanting other sponsors - as i've said earlier i'm wanting to encourage people of all backgrounds / experiences to get involved here. Prizes will be worthwhile in the final before Christmas 2008 for those that enter and support us over the year.

Thanks to you all who have entered so far. We've been delighted with the response and have had some absolute crackers so far. Keep them coming!

Nice idea LeeP. Hope you get lots of entries. I'm going to keep my eye on this and will probably submit some low-res of my own.

Looked at your T&C's where you mention a competition gallery. Any chance of seeing this online? I'm sure TP members would like to see what others are putting in, I know I would.

What's all the fuss about the judges? What does it matter if the judges are a couple of grannies on a park bench? You enter, if the judges like yours the best you win. Simple.

I agree with NorthernNikon....I don't see what the fuss is about :shrug:

We will simply have to happily disagree then :D

Some things are hard to photograph and take great technique, patience, equipment and skill - a real judge would recognise that and make allowances accordingly - factoring in a degree of difficulty into their marking

Some subjects are easy to shoot and pretty

Non-togs would prefer pretty to technically superb, this happens in club comps all the time and they are supposed to know better

Babies & puppies/kittens would always win with the grannies over Pete's Tone-mapped genius

As it happens, LeeP has stated clearly it's an outside judge with recognised skill as one - surely that was worth knowing rather than later discovering he's asked his 7 yr old sister to pick and she just picked 12 months of puppies?

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Aye, as long as theyre a judge with some technical nouse then all's well that ends well. I suppose I agree with you there.

It's the qualifications I don't agree with personally (IE, the need for them to judge the comp).

If technical merit is part of the remit, then I would expect the judge to know his technical onions.
If its not, then, er, he doesnt need to does he? :)

Aye, as long as theyre a judge with some technical nouse then all's well that ends well. I suppose I agree with you there.

It's the qualifications I don't agree with personally (IE, the need for them to judge the comp).

If technical merit is part of the remit, then I would expect the judge to know his technical onions.
If its not, then, er, he doesnt need to does he? :)

This seems bizarre to me that so many peeps don't give a toss who the judge is and whether they know their 'onions' or not when judging their efforts

How about the X-Factor judged by some of those tone deaf numpties who applied?

Come dancing by someone who's only ever boogied in a disco in the 70's?

A gymnastics meet judged by a beer bellied fat bloke whose only ever exercise his lifting his right arm - "Aye up lass, that looked fine to me - thars won"

Your driving test examiner who can't drive but thinks not hitting things is a 'pass' (actually seems to me there must be a few of them around :LOL:)

Surely if your work is being judged you want to know it's being judged by someone who knows what they are talking about???

If it doesn't matter then - all enter babies & puppies and tell LeeP to get his sister ready :bang:

The gallery will be hosted once the month end has been completed. If members would like it so they can view all images entered to date I can arrange that for next month?

Let me know if you'd like this.

Up to press we've had 19 entries so we're very pleased.

We've been looking into year end prizes - looking at a good amount of cash and some nic-nacs etc :)

If it doesn't matter then - all enter babies & puppies and tell LeeP to get his sister ready :bang:

DD - please stop worrying about the judging! Concentrate on the pics!

BTW - if you entered a puppy you'd likely to lose this month unless you could link it to early morning :D

The YPU are speaking to the committee on Saturday about 'loaning' me a judge for a couple of hours a month in return for my services for the next 12 months. The more people the better - i'm hoping to feedback all comments to entrants if possible too.

(y) entered Lee, many thanks. Will definately get round to sorting a site out as well now that christmas is over with.

Hey Yvonne

Great stuff! Welcome aboard.

You should have an email and a message waiting for you on TF :)

Lee

DD - please stop worrying about the judging! Concentrate on the pics!

BTW - if you entered a puppy you'd likely to lose this month unless you could link it to early morning :D

The YPU are speaking to the committee on Saturday about 'loaning' me a judge for a couple of hours a month in return for my services for the next 12 months. The more people the better - i'm hoping to feedback all comments to entrants if possible too.

You've satisfied my interest/concerns already Lee - I just can't understand why only I seem to care :shrug:

So would I be okay with a puppy sat next to a clock at 6.10 a.m. then? I've got a nice puppy shot, and with a smidge of PP a clock could magically appear! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Glad the interest is there too - it's a good offer you've come up with (y)

Grand Final Prizes (you need to be in it, to win it!) are:

-£250 Cash
-Your own dedicated Gallery area (for 8 20x16 framed prints at any one point) in our store, where you can sell your prints.
-LowePro Flipside 200 Bag
-£100 vouchers for the store

Closing dates for each month are as follows:

Jan 31st 13:00
Feb 29th 13:00
Mar 31st 13:00
Apr 30th 13:00
May 31st 13:00
Jun 30th 13:00
Jul 31st 13:00
Aug 31st 13:00
Sep 30th 13:00
Oct 31st 13:00
Nov 30th 13:00
Dec 18th 13:00

The grand final will be held on the 18th December.
All winning entries over the year will be up against each other for the takings and will be announced later that day.

All winning entries will be viewable in our Gallery at the Studio in West Yorkshire if people would like to come and view them.

I'll be putting all of this info on the website shortly.

Lee

Only 3 days before the close of this competition! :)

Crap never noticed this, and really doubt I will get a chance to get the shot I would like!! Got to hate work! Will have to take my tripod and camera with me for the next couple of days and hope for a good shot!

Infact do these need to be new images, shot after the start of the competition? Or could I use one from a couple of months back?

DD I think we need to take the comp for what it is - a chance to win a prize by sending what you feel is a good pic. If a tog with the most technical photographic ability and knowledge doesn't win then perhaps that tog is missing the point of the competition - which I would think is to produce an image that is inspirational and creative. Experience and skill might make it easier to atain the desired result but it doesn't mean a beginner shouldn't be able to win. (does any of that make sense? :) )

There is no time frame from when the image had to be taken. As long as it fits this months theme and is submitted before 13:00 on Thursday then you're in with a chance (y)

Managed to get my submission in. Can't wait to see what the next round will be. Will be a little more prepared this time! When do the images get judged? Will they be posted on the website soon? Will be nice to see the quality of the work submitted

Results are in!

In total we had 42 entries - but only 39 were really seen as 'Early Morning'.

Well done to the following three people! We'll be in touch shortly to get your address etc :clap::clap::clap:

1st Place: James Thow - Lindisfarne dawn
Jan-1.jpg

2nd Place: Matthew Ward - Lake Louise - Banff National Park, Canada
Jan-2.jpg

3rd Place: Ben Temperton - River running through Staverton
Jan-3.jpg

This next months theme is: Feeling vulnerable.

Competition deadline is 29th Feb at 13:00

(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back