Tokina 20-35 2.8.....

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought one a few weeks ago......
On FX Nikon ......

At 2-8 all images seem fuzzy / out of focus!
At f4 it's sharp...... Surely if I fine tune lens at 2-8 it will put lens out at all other f stops....

Is it the lens???

It's probably the lens. I'm surprised its sharp at F/4. I like these lenses but they're far from at their best at wide apertures. I would be inclined to live with it as it is and just use 2.8 for emergencies.

It's probably the lens. I'm surprised its sharp at F/4. I like these lenses but they're far from at their best at wide apertures. I would be inclined to live with it as it is and just use 2.8 for emergencies.
Emergency! I'd be better off forgetting shot than shooting at 2.8! It's shocking wide open !

Does your body allow micro focus adjustment?
Maybe it needs to be calibrated.

Yes it does but how can it be out of focus at 2.8 but at f4 it's as sharp as a pin! Even on manual focus .... So only change is f stop

Yes it does but how can it be out of focus at 2.8 but at f4 it's as sharp as a pin! Even on manual focus .... So only change is f stop

You're right.
In that case, it must be the lens itself that is soft wide open.
Unless it's a specific problem of your lens, that is nothing you can do. :/

Yes it does but how can it be out of focus at 2.8 but at f4 it's as sharp as a pin!

Its a Tokina thats why, I recently bought a 28-80mm f/2.8 from the forum, exactly the same as you are having and everyone I know or read about online has the same issue, you don't have a faulty lens just that it seems Tokina like to advertise it as a f/2.8 to gather more buyers when really none of them can perform below f/4 :D

Its a Tokina thats why, I recently bought a 28-80mm f/2.8 from the forum, exactly the same as you are having and everyone I know or read about online has the same issue, you don't have a faulty lens just that it seems Tokina like to advertise it as a f/2.8 to gather more buyers when really none of them can perform below f/4 :D
Oh really! Oh well I'll not be buying another lens of theirs then

I think you have been unfortunate to have a rogue lens :( I have owned a still do own a number of
Tokina lenses over the years I had the 20-35mm but the 3.5/4.5 version that was. Excellent performer !
I had other lenses from Tokina and have proven to be every bit as good as Canon,Nikon & Olympus glass I have owned.

I also have a mix of Tokina and Canon L (and a few non-L). The 20-35 I've found great but I do use it for landscapes on FF at smaller f-stops. When I first got it I tested it across the full range and it is soft at f2.8 but it never worried me. The 28-70 f/2.8 is great across the range.

A

Back